New Registration info (Read 5597 times)

changemyoil66

New Registration info
« on: September 29, 2021, 09:13:44 PM »
From HIFICO FB page. Join and show support so they can do more stuff like this.

Aloha Patriots,

As we informed you last week, Hawaii has seen the biggest change to its registration scheme since it was implemented.  A Hawaii Federal Judge declared that its requirement that a person registers in person and present their firearm for inspection was unconstitutional.

We reached out to the county police departments to seek information on how they plan to implement the changes and were informed by most that it would take a few days for them to put together a plan.

Today we heard back from Assistant Chief Darren Chun via e-mail and, here is the information that he provided to us.

"We will not be mandating registrants to come in-person, either to register a firearm or bring the firearm in, and they do not have to bring the firearm in to be registered if they do come in-person.

What we are providing is an Option. In-person registration is an option, and they can bring in their firearm if they want, but doing so does not affect their registration at all, what we need is the necessary information to conduct the transfer, we are implementing procedures to provide registrants options that can help their registration process.

We are also constructing an online registration system for both rifles and handguns. You can come in-person now, or wait until we have our online system implemented, but that is being constructed with an unknown estimated time of completion but is being diligently worked on. We will notify the public when this system is initiated.

We are formulating an “Instruction Guide” to provide to buyers/registrants and sellers on the laws and options of obtaining the proper information in order to register their firearm.

We will update our website to reflect our protocols, options, and intended resolutions. We will use our website, social media, and media liaison to assist in enlightening the public on the laws regarding firearms prohibitions and the Permit to Acquire and Registration requirements and protocols."

--Please be aware that this is the protocol being out in place for HONOLULU ONLY. --

We are sure the other counties will be following in their footsteps and implementing a similar process. We will update you as we find out.

This policy, in combination with the previous settlement agreement with the City and County of Honolulu regarding the mailing of permits to gun stores or the applicants home (starting January 1st, 2022), will mean that a person can obtain a firearm on Oahu with a single trip the police station (to apply for a permit).

We would once again like to take this opportunity to thank HIFICO attorneys Alan Beck and Stephen Stamboulieh. The hard work and dedication of these two great men has allowed us to get to where we are today.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

Re: New Registration info
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:21:03 AM »
HPD FB Page:

Changes to Firearms Registration
Effective immediately, firearms registrants are no longer required to bring in their firearms when registering in person. 
Further, individuals needing to register firearm(s) will soon have the option of in-person OR online firearm registration. 
Those who plan to register online are advised that HPD is still creating the online registration system at this time. Until the system goes live, online registrations cannot be accepted and firearms will be considered unregistered.
Individuals wishing to register in person may still do so. Beginning on Monday, October 18, 2021, the Firearms Section will be open for permits to acquire and registration during the following hours: M/T/Th/F, 8 am – 4 pm; W 8 am - 6:30 pm
Mahalo for your patience and cooperation.

DEROS

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 10:42:41 AM »
In legal terms: What does it mean "firearms will be considered unregistered."?  i.e Does that mean you can't use it for any purpose until it is registered?  Can be confiscated because it was not registered within 5 days? etc.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 01:35:22 PM »
In legal terms: What does it mean "firearms will be considered unregistered."?  i.e Does that mean you can't use it for any purpose until it is registered?  Can be confiscated because it was not registered within 5 days? etc.

Nothing in the law says you can't use a legally acquired firearm prior to registration.

There's a 5-day window in the law between transfer and registration.  You could take that gun hunting, range shooting, etc. within that time.

When visitors come here and bring guns for hunting, they are required to register them within 5 days.  Doesn't make sense that they can't go hunting unless they register.  I bet some will arrive, go hunting and leave before the 5 days elapse, and they never register.

Of course, if you ask HPD, they will tell you to leave it at home until registered.  Does that mean you never have to register if you never take it out of the house?  Legally, you're still in possession of an unregistered firearm no matter where you are.  Makes zero sense.

BTW, if you are prohibited from owning or possessing firearms (felon, domestic abuser, medical marijuana patient, etc), you have no legal obligation, and they can't charge you, for failing to register.  Forcing you to register violates your 5th amendment right against self incrimination.  "You have an illegal weapon, and you are breaking the law if you don't tell us about it by registering."

The laws in this state are messed up.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »
Come by this weds. As long as u in line b4 6:30, they must serve u. Parking might suck though.

kptheplatypus

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 07:06:44 PM »

Nobody does anything illegal in this group ever.  :crazy: As for using it, who knows? Probably not a good idea but per the law verbatim, it says nothing about using it before registration. Also, the 5 day registration period is CURRENTLY suspended due to COVID per the HPD officers I talked to in the Registration office
“Speak softly and carry a big stick, you will go far” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

~ An armed society is a polite society

zippz

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »
My guess is HPD officers will assume any unregistered gun on you is illegal and will arrest you.  I bet most officers don't know about the firearms registration policy from the governors proclamation or their own firearms section.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 08:10:47 PM »
My guess is HPD officers will assume any unregistered gun on you is illegal and will arrest you.  I bet most officers don't know about the firearms registration policy from the governors proclamation or their own firearms section.

So, you're saying if you're on your way home after picking up your new gun -- the same day you picked up your PTA -- then a Cop stops you and sees the gun on your car seat, he will arrest you for an unregistered gun?
-- Melvin Udall

kptheplatypus

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 08:28:59 PM »
So, you're saying if you're on your way home after picking up your new gun -- the same day you picked up your PTA -- then a Cop stops you and sees the gun on your car seat, he will arrest you for an unregistered gun?

In that case you’d probably have proof you just picked it up from the store or FFL so I’d assume they wouldn’t do anything. If they searched for proof of registration they wouldn’t find it and probably not have cause to arrest you since you have proof you picked it up. Unless you had it in your car without having the transfer documents with you. Which would be a bad idea, I’d say

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 08:49:55 PM »
In that case you’d probably have proof you just picked it up from the store or FFL so I’d assume they wouldn’t do anything. If they searched for proof of registration they wouldn’t find it and probably not have cause to arrest you since you have proof you picked it up. Unless you had it in your car without having the transfer documents with you. Which would be a bad idea, I’d say

Not what zippz said.  "My guess is HPD officers will assume any unregistered gun on you is illegal and will arrest you."  The gun is unregistered.  If the time limit to register is still undefined due to COVID, then when you picked it up is irrelevant.  Unregistered after 1 hour or after 30 days is still unregistered.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 10:51:06 PM »
A cop cannot just ask to see ur gun, when the case is on ur seat. But if asked whos gun is in there and u say idk, then it becomes loss property, and they have cause to open the case and run the #. "The case and its contents belong to me".

If they do look at ur gun, its for an add on felony like charge.

But to throw another what if in, they also cannot assume a gun is in a gun case either.

HI has no duty to inform either. So gun in trunk, u dont gotta let hpd know.

If ur dumb enough to willingly let hpd examine ur gun, it can only hurt u. 1st thing they will do for safety is to make sure the chamber is empty. Oops a round extracted. Now u broke the law. Ive seen many times at the range someone takes their gun out of the case and then lock the bolt/slide back, as required. Only to see a round come out. Which means they were transporting a loaded firearm.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 10:52:49 PM »
Not what zippz said.  "My guess is HPD officers will assume any unregistered gun on you is illegal and will arrest you."  The gun is unregistered.  If the time limit to register is still undefined due to COVID, then when you picked it up is irrelevant.  Unregistered after 1 hour or after 30 days is still unregistered.
There is no mention in iges current proc about gun reg being waived. So regular 5 day window applies now.

kptheplatypus

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 01:31:15 AM »
There is no mention in iges current proc about gun reg being waived. So regular 5 day window applies now.

The HPD website says that Ige did include registration and that the 5-day window is suspended

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 07:24:58 AM »
The HPD website says that Ige did include registration and that the 5-day window is suspended
Thanks for the update. That wasnt there last week.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 07:27:31 PM »
Word is 1/1 online will be available.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 08:30:09 PM »
Hpd website updated. Onlinw reg seems to be ready.

dogman

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 09:01:10 PM »

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
Hpd website updated. Onlinw reg seems to be ready.

Time for another 22 rifle! 👍🏻

Direjackalope

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 10:17:33 PM »
I'll be the Guinea pig.  Wouldn't let me leave passport/nationalization # blank so I filled in N/A.  Other than that no problems filling out the form.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Also I'm registering a PSA lower with no upper so we'll see if they get weird about no barrel length, caliber, or action.

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 07:13:37 AM »
I'll be the Guinea pig.  Wouldn't let me leave passport/nationalization # blank so I filled in N/A.  Other than that no problems filling out the form.  I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Also I'm registering a PSA lower with no upper so we'll see if they get weird about no barrel length, caliber, or action.
Thanks and keep us updated.