Deedy Trial - Injustice? (Read 234346 times)

Q

« Reply #320 on: July 24, 2013, 10:28:15 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:16:23 PM by Q »

Kingkeoni

Re: Deedy Trial - Injustice?
« Reply #321 on: July 25, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
So she claims to have witnessed everything but she was the person that called 911 and said Christopher Deedy ran away when he was right there administering first aid until HPD arrived.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Jl808

« Reply #322 on: July 25, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Here are more bits and pieces to this trial

Khon: Medical examiner and cashier testimony

Kitv: cashier testimony

I just noticed that the prosecutor uses "Collin" and "Deedy" when she talks to the witness. Perhaps it explains why the witnesses also use "Collin" and "Deedy" in the videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Jl808

« Reply #323 on: July 25, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »

So she claims to have witnessed everything but she was the person that called 911 and said Christopher Deedy ran away when he was right there administering first aid until HPD arrived.

She sounds like she got freaked out / traumatized by Deedy pulling the gun. Probably something she didn't expect would happen that night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

kevlar

« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
A drunk coke head got shot for thinking he could punch someone w/out repercussions, and the the expected outcome occurred. Without a blood alcohol test to verify whether or not Deedy was drunk, random McDonald's employee's 'expert' opinions are useless. I predict an acquittal.

Jl808

Deedy Trial - Injustice?
« Reply #325 on: July 25, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
KITV Day 12: Shane medeiros takes the stand

Kingkeoni

« Reply #326 on: July 25, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
KITV Day 12: Shane medeiros takes the stand

The news clips so far only shows the prosecution questioning their witnesses.

At the end of this video though, the news caster says that the defense questioned the cashier and she said that she really couldn't tell who smelled like alcohol and that Elderts was beating up Deedy before shots were fired.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Q

« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:17:30 PM by Q »

Kingkeoni

« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »
Medeiros testimony is going to hurt the case.

He said "we told him to pay for our food, when he looked at us we told him 'what the fuck you looking at' but he knew we were just kidding"

Heavies

« Reply #329 on: July 25, 2013, 08:49:54 PM »
Medeiros testimony is going to hurt the case.

He said "we told him to pay for our food, when he looked at us we told him 'what the fuck you looking at' but he knew we were just kidding"
Ic. So they tried to strong arm rob him.   

Jl808

Deedy Trial - Injustice?
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
Here's more writeup on this testimony:

KITV: Friend of man killed by federal agent says misunderstanding led to deadly shooting:

http://www.kitv.com/news/hawaii/shane-medeiros-says-christopher-deedy-mistook-joking-around-as-harassment/-/8905354/21174312/-/974304z/-/index.html

Q

« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:17:38 PM by Q »

Jl808

Deedy Trial - Injustice?
« Reply #332 on: July 25, 2013, 11:27:28 PM »
does anyone else think that the first problem in this whole case was deedy's co-worker explaining to him that f'in haole was the same as the n-word?
if it wasn't for that advice, deedy probably would not have been carrying, and he wouldn't have over-reacted so much to elderts

Macsac, I see what you mean here.

Deedy overheard Elderts', Medeiros' and Perrine's drunken banter at the McDonalds counter and probably got offended enough to want to intervene.

The briefing by Deedy's co-worker that "f'kin haole" was the same as calling a black guy the n-word, plus the "hey I'm local too" conversation probably got mis-interpreted by Deedy as truly racist and made him want to give the local punk an educational beatdown.  If you know locals, we all have "insults" for all our various races but this is done in fun.

There are two things I think here:

1. For Deedy's trial - Deedy probably is going to get acquitted since shooting Elderts as a result of an escalated fight would be justifiable homicide, especially since Deedy is a LEO. Elderts attacking him and the ensuing struggle for Deedy's gun = Deedy was getting his ass kicked and he probably had to use his gun to save his butt.

2. For Deedy's career - Deedy showed poor judgment as a security detail that night and his supervisors should probably review if he should continue serving in this capacity.

A. Even if the prosecution has no evidence of his intoxication and only has witness testimonies, he was under the influence enough that night resulting in his bad judgment.

If he says he wasn't intoxicated, it's even worse for him... Poor judgment while sober.

B. He intervened when he didn't need to and was party to instigating a fight with Elderts.

C. If he thought something needed LEO intervention, he failed to control the situation, failed to de-escalate, got his ass kicked, and made a non-dangerous situation dangerous and endangering other bystanders.

D. As a visitor and a security detail for an event, it is bad policy to go out getting drunk, picking a fight with and killing a local.  Bad press for the event. Since he is "highly trained", he should have known better and should have shown more restraint.

Anyway, I would be concerned if Deedy was allowed to continue serving as a security detail after this trail is over.  Especially not after seeing his poor judgement and being able to get away with murder because he was a power tripping drunk LEO. As a regular citizen, I wound not want him to go to prison but I would not want him to continue having that LEO power also.

If I may add another observation...  this trial is hitting a nerve with so many people here locally. If you've lived in Hawaii long enough, you know how locals feel about short-lived mainlanders, those that come here being all "hot stuff", find out they cannot make it and end up leaving the locals holding the bag. This stuff has deep roots and has a historical imprint on the local psyche. Note: I am not talking about race here but learned experience from past behavior, disappointments or broken promises.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:06:26 AM by Jl808 »

Q

« Reply #333 on: July 25, 2013, 11:44:57 PM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:12:56 PM by Q »

macsak

« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2013, 03:59:21 AM »
Great post, jl
I am on a trip and only have iPhone access, so I will post a longer reply later

Macsac, I see what you mean here.

Deedy overheard Elderts', Medeiros' and Perrine's drunken banter at the McDonalds counter and probably got offended enough to want to intervene.

The briefing by Deedy's co-worker that "f'kin haole" was the same as calling a black guy the n-word, plus the "hey I'm local too" conversation probably got mis-interpreted by Deedy as truly racist and made him want to give the local punk an educational beatdown.  If you know locals, we all have "insults" for all our various races but this is done in fun.

There are two things I think here:

1. For Deedy's trial - Deedy probably is going to get acquitted since shooting Elderts as a result of an escalated fight would be justifiable homicide, especially since Deedy is a LEO. Elderts attacking him and the ensuing struggle for Deedy's gun = Deedy was getting his ass kicked and he probably had to use his gun to save his butt.

2. For Deedy's career - Deedy showed poor judgment as a security detail that night and his supervisors should probably review if he should continue serving in this capacity.

A. Even if the prosecution has no evidence of his intoxication and only has witness testimonies, he was under the influence enough that night resulting in his bad judgment.

If he says he wasn't intoxicated, it's even worse for him... Poor judgment while sober.

B. He intervened when he didn't need to and was party to instigating a fight with Elderts.

C. If he thought something needed LEO intervention, he failed to control the situation, failed to de-escalate, got his ass kicked, and made a non-dangerous situation dangerous and endangering other bystanders.

D. As a visitor and a security detail for an event, it is bad policy to go out getting drunk, picking a fight with and killing a local.  Bad press for the event. Since he is "highly trained", he should have known better and should have shown more restraint.

Anyway, I would be concerned if Deedy was allowed to continue serving as a security detail after this trail is over.  Especially not after seeing his poor judgement and being able to get away with murder because he was a power tripping drunk LEO. As a regular citizen, I wound not want him to go to prison but I would not want him to continue having that LEO power also.

If I may add another observation...  this trial is hitting a nerve with so many people here locally. If you've lived in Hawaii long enough, you know how locals feel about short-lived mainlanders, those that come here being all "hot stuff", find out they cannot make it and end up leaving the locals holding the bag. This stuff has deep roots and has a historical imprint on the local psyche. Note: I am not talking about race here but learned experience from past behavior, disappointments or broken promises.

GZire

« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
Either he is done, or he is never coming back to Hawaii.

Either way, this will be forgotten in a matter of months; wouldn't be surprised if it was a distant memory in a few weeks.

The mob is fickle.

Truth.

mnpfamily

« Reply #336 on: July 26, 2013, 11:14:18 AM »
Either he is done, or he is never coming back to Hawaii.

Either way, this will be forgotten in a matter of months; wouldn't be surprised if it was a distant memory in a few weeks.

The mob is fickle.
Forgotten until the clamor for CCW comes up again  Then, they'll bring up "remember the beef at McDonalds where the guy had a gun?"  Doesn't matter that the guy with the gun wasn't from here, or that he supposedly was acting as an LEO, it'll be "see, that's what  going happen if we allow people to carry guns here", followed by the inevitable, "I tol' you".  Fickle is a nice way to put it, biased and one-sided may be more accurate.  Either way though, as happens all too often here, the poor judgement of a few make things hard for the rest.  Or perhaps I should say, makes it easier for those making the rules  to make things harder for the rest.

aieahound

« Reply #337 on: July 26, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »
Based on the facts so far, looks like Deedy will probably get justice with a Not Guilty verdict.
If the jury is impartial and follows the letter of the law.

If they can establish that he identified himself as LEO, although I'm not sure that's really relevant.

However, as mnp said, it's a day of injustice for CCW in Hawaii due to one man's poor judgement. ( I added the last part. )

Deedy will, for a lasting while, be the poster boy for the anti-establishment, who, anytime a move is made for support for CCW, will show up at the capitol with posters and t-shirts with pictures of poor innnocent Kollin Elderts.   ( the hopped up on drugs, picking on innocent strangers, thug )

IMO

surfmaster

« Reply #338 on: July 26, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
I truly hope Deedy gets acquitted of all charges. After all, it was Elderts and his friend, Medeiros, that started the entire melee. If they had not been harassing Perrine while ordering food at the McDonald's counter, it would not have prompted Deedy to get involved to help. And, it doesn't matter if Perrine felt threatened or not, Deedy, as a law enforcement officer, can intervene because Deedy felt trouble was brewing. Deedy was trying to de-escalate the situation, which sometimes requires the need to use verbal "force."

The moment of truth occurred when Deedy was creating space was his arm and telling Elderts to back off because he was armed. Elderts didn't care and continued to move toward and attack Deedy. This was Eldert's fatal mistake. Elderts should have stopped and left the building. After all, if a law enforcement officer announces that he's armed and notifies you he may shoot, why continue to show aggression that may get you shot? Elderts should have saw the signs and heeded Deedy's warnings. Did Eldert;'s think he was bulletproof? I guess alcohol, cocaine and weed can make people think they have a big "S" on their chest. 

Better yet, Elderts and his friend should have stopped harassing caucasions or people in general. They should try to get their kicks or show their manhood in other ways that do not involve the potential for violence--because there's always someone faster, stronger or better than you. 

This time, Elderts bad behavior caught up with him and he paid the ultimate price. Deedy should not have to pay for Eldert's anti-social behavior. Deedy should be acquitted.

Kingkeoni

« Reply #339 on: July 26, 2013, 12:41:33 PM »
I truly hope Deedy gets acquitted of all charges. After all, it was Elderts and his friend, Medeiros, that started the entire melee. If they had not been harassing Perrine while ordering food at the McDonald's counter, it would not have prompted Deedy to get involved to help. And, it doesn't matter if Perrine felt threatened or not, Deedy, as a law enforcement officer, can intervene because Deedy felt trouble was brewing. Deedy was trying to de-escalate the situation, which sometimes requires the need to use verbal "force."

The moment of truth occurred when Deedy was creating space was his arm and telling Elderts to back off because he was armed. Elderts didn't care and continued to move toward and attack Deedy. This was Eldert's fatal mistake. Elderts should have stopped and left the building. After all, if a law enforcement officer announces that he's armed and notifies you he may shoot, why continue to show aggression that may get you shot? Elderts should have saw the signs and heeded Deedy's warnings. Did Eldert;'s think he was bulletproof? I guess alcohol, cocaine and weed can make people think they have a big "S" on their chest. 

Better yet, Elderts and his friend should have stopped harassing caucasions or people in general. They should try to get their kicks or show their manhood in other ways that do not involve the potential for violence--because there's always someone faster, stronger or better than you. 

This time, Elderts bad behavior caught up with him and he paid the ultimate price. Deedy should not have to pay for Eldert's anti-social behavior. Deedy should be acquitted.

The only reason this is even an issue is because a mainland LEO was involved.

If this was an off duty HPD officer, and all the facts were exactly the same, it would be an open and shut case.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 12:48:07 PM by Kingkeoni »