9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 ACP Bullets (Read 4721 times)

Eric808

9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 ACP Bullets
« on: September 13, 2020, 10:52:12 PM »
Due to ammo shortages, do you have you have any recommendation for a standard, self-defense, SHTF load.  Each would have their own requirements, but looking for load that function in most revolvers and pistols, especially in those SHTF survival situations. I know there are also powder and primer shortages and you will need a reloading press, but looking at options available, since not sure how long these conditions will last.

Also do you have recommendation for where to get bulk bullets (heads)?  Would you recommend coated or FMJ?  Is there a type or shape that you have found to be the best all around?
Thanks in advance.

Inspector

Re: 9mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 ACP Bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 02:46:15 AM »
Due to ammo shortages, do you have you have any recommendation for a standard, self-defense, SHTF load.  Each would have their own requirements, but looking for load that function in most revolvers and pistols, especially in those SHTF survival situations. I know there are also powder and primer shortages and you will need a reloading press, but looking at options available, since not sure how long these conditions will last.

Also do you have recommendation for where to get bulk bullets (heads)?  Would you recommend coated or FMJ?  Is there a type or shape that you have found to be the best all around?
Thanks in advance.
I just had a long conversation with someone else on this subject. But conditions can be quite different over there compared to over here on the mainland. Being that I lived over there during the last shortage I can make some different recommendations for you. First, ammo shortages are mostly 9mm and 223/5.56. I would think by now this should be true over there as here. But I find that 38, 357, 44 Mag and to a lesser extent 45ACP ammo will be less sporadic as the shortages are mostly being caused by new shooters trying to stock up on ammo. So if you hit up say SEC and YG and WGS a day or two every week you will probably be able to find ammo eventually. Even during the last shortage, some of the LGS there were still getting shipments. It takes perseverance to be at the right place at the right time.

Primers are a different story. Small Pistol Primers and Small Rifle Primers are non existent. They are not being shipped and are being redirected to the ammunition manufacturers. So unless there is an LGS over there that still has some stock or you have a source for them you are shit out of luck. Large Pistol and Rifle Primers while very hard to find can be found at very high prices. And don’t forget it costs a lot more to ship primers to Hawaii. Plus not all online retailers will ship Hazmat to Hawaii. Unless you are rich and can find someone willing to ship to hawaii you can find primers and ammo on Gun Broker.

The same that goes for primers also applies to powder. Most of the popular powders are gone. The powders made here in the US are either being redirected to the ammo manufacturers or they can be found if you persevere. But again, they are a Hazmat shipment so ordering from online retailers is going to be very expensive if they will ship at all. With powder that is manufactured outside the US it is impossible as most countries such as Australia where a lot of Hodgdons powders are made is not shipping right now. However, there are a few alternatives if you do your homework. There is a fairly new brand called Shooters World that is not so popular and their powders seem to show up at LGS out here and sit on the shelves for a while. Same for some Vitavouri powders. So doing some research and a desire to use not so popular substitutes will go a long way. But that is assuming your LGS there will carry these brands.

Bullets and brass are still available and can be shipped by any retailer to you over there. However, 9mm and 223 brass are getting harder to find and prices are rising. But again it is not impossible. Once fired range brass is easily found as long as you get all the tools necessary and are willing to put in the extra time and effort to prepare the brass you should not have much of a problem at this time. Bullets are tougher to find if you are looking for JHP style bullets as everyone wants to make their own self defense ammo. But if you are willing to compromise on plated or plain lead or powder coated bullets over jacketed then you should be able to find some. Just don’t expect to get hollow points that are designed as SD (expanding) bullets.

With all that said, I recommend that you don’t try and reload during this shortage. Mostly due to the shortages, price increases and availability of primers and powder. What I recommend is that you use this shortage to accumulate what you need to reload and do it when you find sales and maybe even some used equipment off craigslist or at garage sales. Or even in the classifieds here. You can also accumulate bullets as some manufacturers are still selling their bullets at pre panic prices. Same with brass. But powder is almost impossible and primers are literally impossible to get unless you find alternate supply lines for them. So in this way, when the panic shortage is over and you have some accumulation of equipment and supplies when primers and powder become available again at reasonable prices you can then begin your reloading adventure. This will also give you the ability to accumulate the primers and powder you will need to get through the next panic shortage in 4 years. That would be my recommendation at this time.

There is a thread here in the forum of everyone’s favorite online retailers. I suggest you start with that list and do your own searching to find the supplies and equipment you need. Good luck and have fun!!!  :shaka:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:58:33 AM »
about 357:
most of my reloads are below the magnum level. just for range shooting, I like Trail boss for cowboy loads. every once in a while, i'll load some hotter stuff with AA#9 or AA#7.  all my reloads are within the recommended levels by either the powder manufacturer or the bullet manufacturer.  I could go hotter with some H110, but I save that for my 44 loads
bullets, I like 125, 158, or 110 grain bullets.  slower loads i'll use lead, hotter ones i'll use JHP
for JHP I like Montana gold or Everglades ammo or Hornady XTP.  for lead I like acme bullets or xtreme bullets
for range or cowboy ammo I like it below 1000 fps, for defense or SHTF somewhere 1250-1450 fps on a 125 grain JHP

if you are using a snubnose revolver, a 38sp+p is a good load too
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:04:10 AM by stangzilla »

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
could try to reload something similar to this.  I've loaded FTX in 44mag but not for 357

jc2721

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
pm sent

Eric808

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:00:47 AM »
Thank you Inspector, stangzilla, and jc2721 for the insight.  Just wanted to get started gathering components before they become  really scares and/or I am prices out of the market.  Checked a few sights and many item are already out of stock.

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:00 AM »
Thank you Inspector, stangzilla, and jc2721 for the insight.  Just wanted to get started gathering components before they become  really scares and/or I am prices out of the market.  Checked a few sights and many item are already out of stock.

what components are you looking for?
some local stores still have primer and powder, but better hurry before I buy it all   :D

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
what components are you looking for?
some local stores still have primer and powder, but better hurry before I buy it all   :D
Online, bullets are still easy to find if you want to settle for powder coated or plated. If you want jacketed bullets you will have a much harder time. So which are you looking for?

Brass cases are getting tougher to find. Are you looking for new or once fired range brass?

Let me know what you are looking for and I’ll steer you to some websites.

stangzilla

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »

Thanks in advance.

I just got back from YG's.  small pistol and small rifle primers are sold out.  I did get some rifle and pistol powder, they still have some but its going fast
so I would act fast on getting powder and primers locally

I like jacketed over plated bullets
best all around shape of bullet: either JHP or JSP, or if its lead I like RNFP or LSWC

Kalen

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »
Standard self defense would be a shot gun. I wouldn’t use any rifle or hand gun in a neighborhood.

Inspector

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »
I like jacketed over plated bullets
best all around shape of bullet: either JHP or JSP, or if its lead I like RNFP or LSWC
This ^^^

Unfortunately, jacketed are getting pretty hard to find right now. I have had to resort to plated bullets and powder coated bullets where I would be normally loading jacketed. With that said, in 9mm I am getting great results with plated bullets! So it could be that I might continue with plated even after the shortage is over. Particularly in 9mm. I also am getting great accuracy with powder coated bullets but I have some issues with my Glock and certain loads with powder coated. So I think I will relegate the remaining powder coated rounds for my Sig and Smith and use only plated in my Glock until I run out of the powder coated. After that I have a ton of plated that I will load. This is for practice ammo only. I still have a small stash of JHP for target use. And I have some SD ammo for my carry guns.

Eric808

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 06:28:05 AM »
Related question, what is your go to powder for each?
I remember the Elmer Keith 22grn of 2400.   I know it depends on and having to work up load with what is available.
Thanks in advance.

stangzilla

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 07:50:08 AM »
I remember the Elmer Keith 22grn of 2400.   I know it depends on and having to work up load with what is available.
Thanks in advance.

45acp - titegroup has worked for me. I have some hp38 I might try next
357 and 44mag - I like AA#9, or h110 for the hot stuff if you want to shoot fireballs, trail boss for cowboy loads with lead projectiles. Just started to use AA#7 for 357 and that works well too

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »

Thanks in advance.
=============
Now is not a good time to try to stock up. It's too crazy.
Pick your favorite pistol and just load for that gun.
I can probably help you out.

Which gun do you shoot best and most likely to grab in an emergency?
With KHSC closed, you won't be doing a lot of shooting anyway.
Didn't you come over to my place a few years back?
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 09:13:19 AM »
Thanks in advance.
I don’t load for 44Mag but for the others I use mostly Titegroup, Bullseye and Unique. With Titegroup being the powder I turn to the most followed by Unique. For 357 magnum loads I use H110/W296 and magnum primers. And for cowboy and practice loads I use Trail Boss. I also have been testing with Red Dot and Green Dot. Red Dot appears to show some promise in 9mm. Green Dot not so much.

jc2721

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »
For 38 HBWCs I use Bullseye, 231 and Clays (haven't decided on which load yet)  158 SWCs  I use Unique

45 200 gr SWC--Bullseye, 231 and Unique

44--I only load Unique (+/- 900-1000 fps, dirty but it shoots good)  240 gr coated SWC

9mm--haven't loaded in decades but I used to shoot 231 with the Sierra JHC.  I've got enough FMJ factory to last for a while, but not if Orange man loses

357--hardly ever shoot magnums so I don't reload for it.

I also have a stash of .22LR but I hardly shot any when the range was last opened--concentrated on developing centerfire loads

stangzilla

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:51:19 AM »
since i'm boycotting NFL and NBA, I had some free time yesterday to reload some 357 with LSWC and 4.2 grains of Trailboss. that's their maximum recommended load
its in 357 brass, but will be more like 38sp going 865fps as advertised on Hodgdon website out of a 10" barrel but probably slower out of this 2.75" barrel

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:10:58 AM by stangzilla »

Eric808

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 08:22:19 AM »
Midway USA has Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set for $47.99, sorry on free $49 shipping to HI.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737?pid=885350

Inspector

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 01:35:03 PM »
since i'm boycotting NFL and NBA, I had some free time yesterday to reload some 357 with LSWC and 4.2 grains of Trailboss. that's their maximum recommended load
its in 357 brass, but will be more like 38sp going 865fps as advertised on Hodgdon website out of a 10" barrel but probably slower out of this 2.75" barrel

I love Trail Boss loads. I practice a lot with Trail Boss in both 357 and 38.

stangzilla

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 04:07:52 PM »
I love Trail Boss loads. I practice a lot with Trail Boss in both 357 and 38.

I'm reloading some TB 357 loads right now
Trying to load some of my projectiles I've had for a while. 158 grain lswc and LRN.
Reload today, unload this weekend  :shaka: