Any advice for a 1st timer to Koko Head range? (Read 15798 times)

s197

Any advice for a 1st timer to Koko Head range?
« on: April 26, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »
I was hoping to go with some buddies that have been to the range before but our schedules keep conflicting so I may have to go alone.  For now, rifle side only and I still have to build my frame.  I know the rules they list on the website (only 5 rounds in the mag, no rapid shots) but is there anything else I should be aware of?  It's not very detailed.  Any suggestions on a good day to go?  I imagine weekends are crowded.

If my wife is shooting, do I have to stand behind the yellow line or can I be behind her?  Basically any sort of advice you wish you had the first time you went.

FWIW, I have shot an AR-15 (the rifle I'll be bringing), just not at this particular range.  Mahalo!  :shaka:

TastesLikeMetal

Re: Any advice for a 1st timer to Koko Head range?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
I would say just observe and don't be afraid to ask questions, people I've met there are friendly and want to help first timers.

aieahound

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
While the range is hot, you can stand right behind her

Main thing is listen to the range commands.

Don't go in front of the yellow line during a cease fire. This is the big one that got me in trouble my first couple trips to the range.
Don't go grab your water or anything else off the bench during a cease fire.

Have your targets and supplies ready before cease fire, they'll give you a heads up to finish up your magazine.
Go out and repair/replace your target and when heading back walk straight past your bench behind the yellow line.

Muzzle down range all the time, even when uncasing and casing your rifle.
Magazines out and action open during cease fire as they'll walk the line checking each firearm.

The range officers are generally pretty cool.

Oh, and sign-in in the range book next to the office.

macsak

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »
I was hoping to go with some buddies that have been to the range before but our schedules keep conflicting so I may have to go alone.  For now, rifle side only and I still have to build my frame.  I know the rules they list on the website (only 5 rounds in the mag, no rapid shots) but is there anything else I should be aware of?  It's not very detailed.  Any suggestions on a good day to go?  I imagine weekends are crowded.

If my wife is shooting, do I have to stand behind the yellow line or can I be behind her?  Basically any sort of advice you wish you had the first time you went.

FWIW, I have shot an AR-15 (the rifle I'll be bringing), just not at this particular range.  Mahalo!  :shaka:

weekends in the morning is the most crowded
as the afternoon goes on, it thins out a lot

you could post when you are planning on going, and usually one of us will be there

rustyeleio

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
unpack your firearms only on the bench and keep the muzzle downrange. 
make sure your firearm is stable during the cease fire because if it starts falling, you have to let it go until the RSO gets there.  My friend's rifle got all scratched up because of that one.
If there are no tables available, the RSO will put out a separate paper for the wait list.
No shooting past the 100yd paper targets.  the long range steel targets are off limits for now :(.

s197

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice, good to hear most people are friendly.  I'll post when I know I'm going to see if anyone will be there.

How often are the cease fires?

Edit:  What about flying brass?  Are you responsible for bringing something to stop it from hitting your neighbor or do they have nets that separate the benches?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 03:38:10 PM by s197 »

wirecounter

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice, good to hear most people are friendly.  I'll post when I know I'm going to see if anyone will be there.

How often are the cease fires?

Edit:  What about flying brass?  Are you responsible for bringing something to stop it from hitting your neighbor or do they have nets that separate the benches?

The relays are 30 minutes and close to the hour & half hour.

You are not required to bring a brass catcher, but it will be appreciated by your neighbor so he/she does not get bombarded with your flying brass. 

You are responsible to clean up/police your brass.  They have brooms & dust pans by the range office and a bucket to drop in your brass for recycling.

Most important - shoot at YOUR target ONLY.  Yes, it sounds like it does not need to be said, but every once in a while I have a knucklehead shoot my target & usually hit the frame.   :(

BLKDRGN

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 06:03:41 PM »
Make sure during cease fire you unload your mags or clips and lock the slide or bolt back. Always have the ejection port facing up so they can clearly see that it is empty. If you are going to stand when shooting, make sure your feet is to the edge of the platform. Etiquette wise, don't steal anyone's brass. Ask first. It's also nice to have a brass catcher so your brass does not constantly hit anyone. If you don't have a catcher it's nice if you sweep up yours every once in a while and not at the end. Having 200 rounds all over the ground is uncool.

Remember finger off the trigger until your target is in sight and you are ready to fire.
Google it cause every question is a dumb question.

mauidog

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 06:33:33 PM »
Tradition is for everyone's first time, you bring something for the staff and shooters.  I brought 8 dozen malasada.  Seen others order pizza, bring doughnuts, and bake brownies. 

What you bring isn't as important as bringing enough for everybody!

Let us know what day to show up!   :thumbsup:    :D
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
Observe and see how things work.
The RO's are helpful, kinda grouchy sometimes.
I'd be willing to meet up with you on a weekend and show ya the ropes.
If you set a date, more might show up. (we just need an excuse)
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

OldFaithful

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
Don't shoot the birds lol

Bcspy

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
Make sure your bottom leg frame is rounded off. No human, dog, cat, rat targets.

macsak

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »
Observe and see how things work.
The RO's are helpful, kinda grouchy sometimes.
I'd be willing to meet up with you on a weekend and show ya the ropes.
If you set a date, more might show up. (we just need an excuse)

range day with greenstomper!
woo hoo!

s197
we are having a get-together on friday night at speedtek's (dexter from x-ring) house
come then and you can meet a bunch of us!

dustoff003

Any advice for a 1st timer to Koko Head range?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »
snipped
Make sure during cease fire you unload your mags or clips

You could do what blkdrgn said above, or what I will normally do if I have a full mag waiting when a cease fire is called I will put it in my pocket and take it down range or behind the yellow line with me. I think the main think the RO's would be trying to prevent by not having loaded mags/clips on the bench during the cease fire would be someone being easily able to load and fire a weapon when folks are down range.

s197

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:54:37 PM »
Make sure during cease fire you unload your mags or clips and lock the slide or bolt back. Always have the ejection port facing up so they can clearly see that it is empty. If you are going to stand when shooting, make sure your feet is to the edge of the platform. Etiquette wise, don't steal anyone's brass. Ask first. It's also nice to have a brass catcher so your brass does not constantly hit anyone. If you don't have a catcher it's nice if you sweep up yours every once in a while and not at the end. Having 200 rounds all over the ground is uncool.

Remember finger off the trigger until your target is in sight and you are ready to fire.

I'll be sure to keep the bolt back and the mags empty.  Speaking of clips, some of my ammo is on stripper clips, you think they would care if I load a magazine with 10 then transfer 5 to another magazine?  If not, I'll just take 'em off the clips beforehand.  A friend of mine just bought a used AK, that would be an issue with the bolt back rule.  Assuming I should tell him to go buy a chamber flag?

s197

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
range day with greenstomper!
woo hoo!

s197
we are having a get-together on friday night at speedtek's (dexter from x-ring) house
come then and you can meet a bunch of us!

That's cool that you guys meet up like that and thanks for the offer!  I have some relatives in town right now so not sure if I can make it (plus I would want to make sure it's cool with Dexter), but it would be nice to meet some fellow gun enthusiasts.

macsak

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »
I'll be sure to keep the bolt back and the mags empty.  Speaking of clips, some of my ammo is on stripper clips, you think they would care if I load a magazine with 10 then transfer 5 to another magazine?  If not, I'll just take 'em off the clips beforehand.  A friend of mine just bought a used AK, that would be an issue with the bolt back rule.  Assuming I should tell him to go buy a chamber flag?

chamber flag
or have a piece of brass sticking out of the chamber

macsak

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
That's cool that you guys meet up like that and thanks for the offer!  I have some relatives in town right now so not sure if I can make it (plus I would want to make sure it's cool with Dexter), but it would be nice to meet some fellow gun enthusiasts.

send him a pm if you can go
he will reply with details

badandy

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:05 PM »
While the range is hot, you can stand right behind her

Main thing is listen to the range commands.

Don't go in front of the yellow line during a cease fire. This is the big one that got me in trouble my first couple trips to the range.
Don't go grab your water or anything else off the bench during a cease fire.

Have your targets and supplies ready before cease fire, they'll give you a heads up to finish up your magazine.
Go out and repair/replace your target and when heading back walk straight past your bench behind the yellow line.

Muzzle down range all the time, even when uncasing and casing your rifle.
Magazines out and action open during cease fire as they'll walk the line checking each firearm.

The range officers are generally pretty cool.

Oh, and sign-in in the range book next to the office.

Excellent advice.  Follow this and you should be good!

And don't be afraid to ask questions.  Most people are real cool about helping out.

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 11:09:59 PM »
Tradition is for everyone's first time, you bring something for the staff and shooters.  I brought 8 dozen malasada.  Seen others order pizza, bring doughnuts, and bake brownies. 

What you bring isn't as important as bringing enough for everybody!

Let us know what day to show up!   :thumbsup:    :D
DONT IGNORE THIS ONE. its a big one!  :shaka: O0