DOE encouraging students to walk out to protest school shootings (Read 37647 times)

punaperson

Re: DOE encouraging students to walk out to protest school shootings
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 06:33:02 AM »
From this morning's Hilo Tribune-Herald:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/03/11/hawaii-news/walkouts-to-send-message-schools-to-accommodate-students-push-for-stricter-gun-laws/

Walkouts to send message: Schools to accommodate students’ push for stricter gun laws

Here are the two quotes I found "interesting":

Honokaa-Kealakehe-Kohala-Konawaena Complex Area Superintendent Art Souza: "...there’s no political statements, this is simply to honor the memory of those who lost their lives "

Wilmer Agpaoa, 15, who is spearheading the walkout at Keaau High School: "So we’re heading out (Wednesday) to make our voices heard and hopefully that protest encourages Congress to take action and pass sensible gun legislation.”

I'd love to see a video of Souza lying and see if he was able to keep a straight face as he did so. Or has he really issued an "order" that there will be punishment for anyone in the schools he supervises who mentions "gun control"?

ren

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 07:41:28 AM »
using students to further erode our rights...deplorable :grrr:

they should do the same to protest abortion or to honor those babies that didn't have the chance to live
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 08:09:43 AM »
  Whatever the case, a situation such as this is a great learning tool for students about the First Amendment and knowing how some other laws or legal technicalities can be used to silence free speech.
===================
Nobody is trying to silence free speech. No first amendment issues here.
Students are free to protest to their heart's content....
However if they protest during school hours on school property with the permission of the school admin, then that opens up a whole new problem.
They have set a precedent.
What will the school admin say to a protest by BLM or pro-life or white supremacist or a Hawaiian activist group or even the air rifle club supporting the 2A?
I think that allowing protest activities on school property opens the state up to a civil rights suit when the next group comes along and is refused permission.

I think that is why Kalani High has designated the protest area off campus. Kalani High cannot physically stop the students from walking out.
But if they protest off campus they could be arrested for truancy.
If they walk out of class and stay on campus without a hall pass, then the school can discipline the child per normal school policy.

simple concept,.... and nothing to do with the 1st amendment
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 09:07:08 AM »
The other sad part is nobody is asking how a group of shell shocked students managed to put together a nationwide coordinated effort so quickly, especially when one considers the cost of all these rallies and political actions. There's a well funded hand behind this directing the charade of "citizen activism". It reminds me of Kony 2012, the failed CIA attempt to drum up support for an African invasion using the pretext of a fake viral social media campaign.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

zippz

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:38 AM »
Schools should turn this into a real life lesson.  If they were adults walking off their job for a demonstration they would get fired, suspended, or at the very least reprimanded.  I would get fired at my job.

The lesson can be in decision making.  You can demonstrate, but you'll be put on detention for a couple weekends or have to do community service or get a failing grade in the class they walked out of.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Direjackalope

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »
So who do we contact to channel our “sparks internet” outrage?

punaperson

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
So who do we contact to channel our “sparks internet” outrage?
I emailed a few "questions" to the DOE (doe_info@hawaiidoe.org) and to Art Souza (Art_Souza@hawaiidoe.org), quoted in the article above.

I don't expect any answers at all, and if they respond it will be more bureaucratic double-speak gibberish like they already spewed to cover their total hypocrisy.

zippz

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »
Any ideas on how to teach kids the other side of the 2a story they're not getting?  Both short term with these walkouts and long term?
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »
I bet majority of these students don't care at all, but just want to get out of class. 

There is some info on twitter that students on the mainland are being forced to participate.

ren

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
Heres Kalanis announcement
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
Wondering if there's a way to also teach a lesson about how the 2A protects the 1A at the same time. 

oldfart

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
Heres Kalanis announcement
=========
hmmm that's not what my daughter told me.

see now that becomes that problem I talked about...

The school is setting a precedent for other protesting groups.
If you allow one, you have to allow all. Or it becomes discrimination.
What, Me Worry?

zippz

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2018, 11:35:13 PM »
Gun community could get some lessons from these gun control people on how to mobilize and rally.

punaperson

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:09 AM »
Gun community could get some lessons from these gun control people on how to mobilize and rally.
Someone will have to contact Bloomberg and Soros and the Joyce Foundation and Clooney and Spielberg and Katzenberg and Oprah and see how much money they will contribute to help our side organize something similar.

Rocky

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:29 AM »
I guess if students were outside of school property, you could express your 1st amendment right across the street by holding a sign that said "wouldn't  you rather have a legal gun around when a criminal illegally brings one into your school"?
Or how about an after school  firearms "Reality Class" to EDUCATE students ?
Student  Day at the Range ?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

stangzilla

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2018, 09:18:39 AM »
I remember when schools had their own shooting range on campus. 
that was before the pussification of America started

oldfart

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
I guess if students were outside of school property, you could express your 1st amendment right across the street by holding a sign that said "wouldn't  you rather have a legal gun around when a criminal illegally brings one into your school"?
Or how about an after school  firearms "Reality Class" to EDUCATE students ?
Student  Day at the Range ?
This is a war, of sorts.
The DOE is going to fire the first shot tomorrow at 10am.
By allowing students time and space to promote a non-school related activity started by political action group.

I think the NRA should fire back since this is promoted as a NATIONAL event.
It need not be as spectacular as a walkout. I think a more subtle and non-disruptive response should be delivered.
I'm thinking a flyer promoting a 2A event or educational program in every community that has such activities available for students.

Any school that allows the walkout would NEED to allow the flyer to be distributed on school property, during school hours.

Right off the bat, I think a flyer promoting the gun show and/or Shooting Sports Fair or even firearm safety classes as Rocky suggested, would be an appropriate response.

The flyers could be distributed by interested students who have an interest in 2A....eg. air rifle clubs.
ROTC, perhaps even debate clubs whose members have an interest in presenting opposing views.

A subtle response would demonstrate the kind of non-sensational maturity that the MSM, politicians or rabid progressives cannot reasonably criticize.
What, Me Worry?

punaperson

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:36 AM »
Then there's Justice Scalia as a youth taking his rifle to school on the subway in New York City...

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed," Scalia told the audience of about 2,000.

"I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms," said Scalia, noting that as a youth in New York City he was part of a rifle team at the military school he attended.

"I used to travel on the subway from Queens to Manhattan with a rifle," he said. "Could you imagine doing that today in New York City?"

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/635187836/Young-Scalia-carried-rifle-while-riding-NY-subway.html

oldfart

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
Yes, of course!
I shot NRA smallbore at my high school on Maui.
My son shot air rifle at St. Louis.
At the last HHAA thanksgiving shoot, the old time shooters got their butts kicked by a kid that shot on a high school team.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2018, 09:42:12 AM »
Then there's Justice Scalia as a youth taking his rifle to school on the subway in New York City...

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed," Scalia told the audience of about 2,000.

"I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms," said Scalia, noting that as a youth in New York City he was part of a rifle team at the military school he attended.

"I used to travel on the subway from Queens to Manhattan with a rifle," he said. "Could you imagine doing that today in New York City?"

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/635187836/Young-Scalia-carried-rifle-while-riding-NY-subway.html
FYI
Note that deseret news is a publication of the Mormon church.
Most of my family is Mormon, staunchly conservative, and pro-2A. :thumbsup:
What, Me Worry?