So... I want to cast bullets (Read 18648 times)

oldfart

Re: So... I want to cast bullets
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 06:11:48 PM »
I want to thank OF again for taking time out of his day to teach us how to properly cast bullets. He was very thorough and even made us work our asses off over a hot pot full of lead and made us cast about 200 bullets for him.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Liar, you made me and eric do all the work! :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

dustoff003

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
Knowing oldfart and knowing that you reload inspector, I am sure you got to take home some of your efforts to load at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldfart

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 08:05:36 PM »
Knowing oldfart and knowing that you reload inspector, I am sure you got to take home some of your efforts to load at home.

He took home knowledge... :rofl:

We didn't really have time to lube the bullets so there was nothing to take home.
What, Me Worry?

dustoff003

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 08:11:19 PM »
He took home knowledge... :rofl:

We didn't really have time to lube the bullets so there was nothing to take home.
Oh I see. Seems like a good time was had by all. Thanks for passing on your knowledge!!!

oldfart

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
Oh I see. Seems like a good time was had by all. Thanks for passing on your knowledge!!!

I enjoyed the whole day! Shooting with friends, free lunch courtesy of inspector.
Making bullets in the afternoon.

The best part was that inspector did not wear the coconut bra and grass skirt, thank goodness.
What, Me Worry?

rfd

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »
that was a very good video that cut to the chase on a good way to cast and load.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

my casting is divided between .45-70 BPCR bullets (grease grooves and paper patch slicks), muzzleloader .50 and .62 balls, and pistol .45acp and .357mag. 

i typically tumble lube pistol bullets in white label 45-45-10 - it's fast and works great, no leading.

i use 3 lee 20lb ladle pots, for pure lead (muzzleloader balls and REAL bullets), 1:30 alloy (BPCR greasers), 1:20 alloy (BPCR paper patch slicks and pistol).  lee moulds for balls and pistol bullets, BACO and Accurate moulds for BPCR bullets.  i run the pots wide open, clean the moulds with auto brake cleaner, use a #64 rubber band around the mould handle ends for consistent mould tension.  moulds are furnace rim preheated, lead or alloy is fluxed with sawdust and dross skimmed off with a spoon.  i built a large exhaust system that duct vents out a shop window, so i can cast indoors year round. 

i ladle pour the big BPCR bullets for consistent accuracy.  these are shot at 200 to 1000 yards, mostly 200 to 300 yards at the club range.  i typically run two single cavity moulds at the same time, 487 slicks and 527 greasers - while one cools the other gets poured.  bullets are with 1/2 grain total weight.  the greasers are dip lubed and cookie cut.  paper patch slicks are rolled with 9lb onion paper and left dry - no water or lube.  all cartridges are fire formed and loaded with drop filled and compressed Swiss 1-1/2F black powder - 67 grains for most greasers and 82 grains for ppb slicks.

casting station ...

single cavity casting the lee 459-500R 500 grain with 1:30 alloy ...

lyman 457193 417 grain 200yd greasers ...

487 grain slick paper patch ...

loading fire formed brass with 447 greasers ...

dip lubing greasers ...
http://imgur.com/a/sQS8Z

shooting 527 greasers @ the 200yd range off bench cross sticks ...

not a great target, but decent for my old eyes off ground cross sticks and mostly in the black ...

typical ground cross sticks set up ...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:34:12 AM by rfd »
Molon Labe ~ NRA Life Member ~ NRA RSO ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TMA ~ Buffalo Rifles

oldfart

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 04:45:50 AM »
Hey Rob...

Not familiar with 45-45-10. What is it?
fyi- I blend my own lube similar to the classic NRA alox-beeswax, but a little more wax to make it firmer.
And of course, I use only wax from Hawaiian bees :rofl: (they make great honey too)
Thanks for sharing your pix and vids.
It's so beautiful over there.
===============
tumble lube pistol bullets in white label 45-45-10 - it's fast and works great, no leading.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 05:09:16 AM »
And thanks for the kind words about the recycling-casting video edit. I edit all my home movies and the casting thing was a project that I had thought about for years.

The music was played in the "ki'hoalu" Hawaiian slack-key styling.by a fellow shooter named Ryan.
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 05:16:08 AM »

No we didn't get to take anything we made home with us. OF is just like that. He wouldn't even let us touch is dross or his flux. He also promised us cute girls and beer. And he didn't come thru with those either.

But we did learn a lot. Enough that I feel confident that I can go out and get my own equipment and start casting. It is very different reading about it and actually doing it. Thanks again for taking time out of your day OF. I appreciate it. This is actually something I look forward to doing when I retire.

SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

rfd

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 05:22:15 AM »
Hey Rob...

Not familiar with 45-45-10. What is it?
fyi- I blend my own lube similar to the classic NRA alox-beeswax, but a little more wax to make it firmer.
And of course, I use only wax from Hawaiian bees :rofl: (they make great honey too)
Thanks for sharing your pix and vids.
It's so beautiful over there.
===============
tumble lube pistol bullets in white label 45-45-10 - it's fast and works great, no leading.

i used to use alox and alox blends, but white label tumble lube drys off lots faster and for a "harder" finish.

http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=47

"beautiful here"???  NO!  beautiful where YOU are!   :shaka:  :D

i want hawaiian beeswax!!!!   :worship:  :geekdanc:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Molon Labe ~ NRA Life Member ~ NRA RSO ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TMA ~ Buffalo Rifles

Inspector

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2017, 05:29:42 AM »
I enjoyed the whole day! Shooting with friends, free lunch courtesy of inspector.
Making bullets in the afternoon.

The best part was that inspector did not wear the coconut bra and grass skirt, thank goodness.
I agree, the whole day was great! Got to shoot my 1944 Star Model B. I tried a couple of different types of commercial ammo. And I tried some of my reloads which I didn't expect to feed at all because this gun was made before hollow points were in use. It worked pretty well. But I can't shoot straight for the life of me. Problem is I cannot focus on the front sight blade any more. The Brass Monkey was shooting a very nice Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. And OF was making us all look bad with his excellent shooting skills. Made a new friend via the Brass Monkey. Only problem was OF and I didn't talk story about a website.

oldfart

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2017, 05:48:38 AM »
No we didn't get to take anything we made home with us. OF is just like that. He wouldn't even let us touch is dross or his flux. He also promised us cute girls and beer. And he didn't come thru with those either.

=============
yeah, well....flux you too.... maybe we could have finished some bullets if you got off your butt and did some work instead of yapping all afternoon :rofl:

It's never a good idea to touch my dross unless you want to get fluxed up.
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 06:10:32 AM »
=============
yeah, well....flux you too.... maybe we could have finished some bullets if you got off your butt and did some work instead of yapping all afternoon :rofl:

It's never a good idea to touch my dross unless you want to get fluxed up.
If you had just provided the beer as you promised we could have gotten fluxed up!!!  :shake: :shake: :shake:

rfd

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »
beer 'n' bullets ... what an awesome combination ... just NOT at the same time!  :wtf:  ::)  8)  ;D

oldfart

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
If you had just provided the beer as you promised we could have gotten fluxed up!!!  :shake: :shake: :shake:
The promise of alcohol and loose women got you to buy me a free lunch.
I'm not stupid.
What, Me Worry?

dustoff003

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 08:34:44 AM »
The promise of alcohol and loose women got you to buy me a free lunch.
I'm not stupid.
As long as your dog didn't get hound-dogged all should have been well.

oldfart

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
 :stopjack:
I'm going back to the range now to practice some more.
After lunch I'll head home and might finish up that pot of lead.
So if anybody else wants to drop by in the late afternoon to talk about casting or getting started reloading, send me a pm.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 07:08:04 AM »
Today 1.17.17 Tuesday

Gents,

I may fire up the furnace in the late afternoon.
If you have the time and interest in basic casting or basic reloading, send a pm.
This would be at my house in waipahu.

...sorry, no loose women or beer today :'(
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 07:24:28 AM »
...sorry, no loose women or beer today :'(
No loose women or beer on Sunday either.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

oldfart

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 07:29:07 AM »
No loose women or beer on Sunday either.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Yeah I'll try harder next time. If you got time, drop by to chat about the range thing.
What, Me Worry?