Portable generators (Read 8819 times)

whynow?

Portable generators
« on: September 19, 2016, 10:40:20 PM »
After sitting idle for more than 5 years, started my Honda 3000 today for function test.  My battery is DOA after not charging all this time.  So key start didn't work but started on 2nd pull using 89 non-ethanol gas.  Plan on getting a replacement soon at BatBills.   Also learned that a regular socket spark plug wrench does not fit, so ordered a Honda one on ebay.
I'll just stage 4-5 gal. of gas treated with Stabil or Seafoam during non hurricane seasons and up to 15 gal. during cane season.  Main use will be to run fridge about 4-5 hrs. per day and some battery rechargers for fans or recharge compact DVD player for entertainment in case of extended power outage.
For the generator guys, how much gas do you store, what are the most important spare parts to have on hand and what other preps/preventive maintenance do you do for your generator? 

oldfart

Re: Portable generators
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
I have a gen that sat new in the box for 20 years. When I dragged it out of the box it would not start.
I pulled out the spark plug and saw that there was a spark, so I squirted some carb cleaner in the hole like a primer and then it fired up.
I learned in school that once you fire it up, you have to run it regularly. So now I fire it up a couple times a month.
I store about 7 gallons of E-zero gas for the gen and rotate into my cars once in a while. So I don't use stabil.
-----------
At my working place, we have a rather huge backup gen.
Last year there was an outage and my coworker pushed the start button and the battery was dead.
--------------
The moral of the story is to start the gen on a regular basis even if it's just a few minutes every couple of weeks.
That will save you much pilikia when you really need it.
What, Me Worry?

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 08:16:38 AM »
    We have a 3200 watt genny in the garage, tank filled with non-E gas treated with Stabil.
Pull start, no battery,= no battery problems.

Fired up twice a year, just before Kane season and 6 months after.
Trick here is to have a fuel cut-off switch and to run the fuel bowl dry before storing. :geekdanc:

Spare parts include
It's own personal qt of oil
Spark plug
Governor spring.
This is most important as the spring is thin and first to rust out and break.  :(
It is oiled well at both fire ups.

We maintain a minimum of 15 gallons non-E at all times which is rotated through all of our lawn and maintenance equipment.
This keeps the gas fresh and rotated and the non-E doesn't  clog up the 2 cycle carbs.  :thumbsup:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

whynow?

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.   Will try to do a function test twice a year and recharge the battery once a month.   Left the new battery out of the unit during storage.  BatBill's had them for about $58 tax included.   
One thing is that these covered inverter type gens are a pain in the okole to access the recoil starter assy if you need to replace the starter rope, which is why I like the electric key start.   
Will look into Honda governor springs for the EU3000is and get a few, got extra spark plugs already.   Extra starter rope and fuel hoses are good to have.
O.F. starting that 20 yr. old gen from storage is a good testament to the quality of the Costco genset.
Rocky, I also drain the fuel tank and wipe it down, drain the carb and also the sediment bowl of fuel for storage.   Long ago  I tested it with ethanol gas and drained everything so lucky no bad effects to the parts.  But now I use non-E 89 since avialble close to me.  I use Stabil although  also got Seafoam from Don Quijote.  Still researching which is better.
Later I might get one of those Costco or Home Depot specials about 5K for backup.
Hope we make it out of 2016 cane season with on major storms and prolonged power outage.

whynow?

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »
O.F. sorry, somehow I thought you got the gen from Costco, my bad.  Anyways must be a good one.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 06:18:20 PM »
O.F. sorry, somehow I thought you got the gen from Costco
It is a Coleman gen that I got from Wal-Mart around 25 yrs ago.
Noisy as hell but it still works. I just fired it up today.
I been thinking about selling it to get a quieter gen.
Anybody wanna buy it cheap?
What, Me Worry?

omnigun

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 08:27:47 PM »
It is a Coleman gen that I got from Wal-Mart around 25 yrs ago.
Noisy as hell but it still works. I just fired it up today.
I been thinking about selling it to get a quieter gen.
Anybody wanna buy it cheap?

1 dorra?  :shaka:

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »
1 dorra?  :shaka:
Sure thing. Go down to Chinatown around River street tonight around midnight.
Tell anybody there you want to buy genny.
What, Me Worry?

83rdrecon

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »
DON'T USE ETHONAL GAS IN IT.    In Louisiana we use them a lot.  Use 100% real gasoline.   I know they sell it on Oahu, I buy occasionally at Foodland in EWA.

whynow?

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »
DON'T USE ETHONAL GAS IN IT.    In Louisiana we use them a lot.  Use 100% real gasoline.   I know they sell it on Oahu, I buy occasionally at Foodland in EWA.
Yup I only use nonethanol 89 octane gas.  In my area only the 76 by Koko Marina center sells it.   I use this gas for my weed whacker and small chainsaw.  Use Stihl Motomix fuel for the bigger chainsaws.

Surf

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
I just did 2 Honda Eu2000's that have been sitting get for almost a year with ethanol gas in them.  When you take down the carbs you can really see how much they get gummed up.  Clean all the old laquer build up out of the jets and ports, put email back together add good gas and they crank right up.  All my small engines or non diesel machines run ethanol free.

Yup I only use nonethanol 89 octane gas.  In my area only the 76 by Koko Marina center sells it.   I use this gas for my weed whacker and small chainsaw.  Use Stihl Motomix fuel for the bigger chainsaws.
I go there also.  Cheaper on Oahu than what I pay on the Big Island.

omnigun

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »
I'm tempted to get a propane one, cause propane doesn't go bad like gas in a few years.

RSN172

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »
Might be good to get a generator that runs on both gas and propane. Propane might be hard to come by on a long-term emergency.

omnigun

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:08 PM »
Might be good to get a generator that runs on both gas and propane. Propane might be hard to come by on a long-term emergency.

Well gas lasts for maybe 3-4 years.  Propane never spoils.  So for long-term gas sucks. 

whynow?

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
Some companies like U.S. Carburation make/sell  conversion kits to run gas and propane.  Might be worth it to get one if good reviews to back them up. 
BTW the city is offering to dispose of HAZMAT materials including old gas on Nov. 5  at a place in Pearl City.  You have to call 768-3201 to make an appointment.  They only offer this once every 2 months.

changemyoil66

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 01:12:58 PM »
Need a hamster in a wheel guys.  No need worry about gas or batties.  Just feed the hamster.  And if not in use for power, you can pet the hamster.

oldfart

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 08:30:38 PM »
r
Need a hamster in a wheel guys.  No need worry about gas or batties.  Just feed the hamster.  And if not in use for power, you can pet the hamster.

I thought that's what kids were for.
What, Me Worry?

83rdrecon

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 10:45:47 PM »
r..

I thought that's what kids were for.

Centipedes in hamster wheel?

All_rice

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 07:21:18 PM »

Maybe a rat fom moiliili.  Hamsters are prohibited in hawaii
Land of the free, because of the Brave!

xlr8ed

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »
Here is a link to a local company that has been building
tri-fuel generators for 15 yrs. 

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/for/5908189655.html

www.yamahageneratorshawaii.com