Round Counts (Read 995 times)

1911Kid

Round Counts
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:04:28 PM »
How many rounds do you shoot a year? Which gun(s) of yours have the most rounds through it (pics encouraged).

dustoff003

Re: Round Counts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:29:34 AM »
I don't count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I primarily use the tapatalk app to interface with the forum, I cant see avatars or signatures.

Inspector

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »
How many rounds do you shoot a year? Which gun(s) of yours have the most rounds through it (pics encouraged).
Too many to keep track of. I rotate through all of my guns so they get equal attention with similar round counts. But I probably shoot my .22's more than the rest.
Dave Brilliant (S)  - Proudly Serving Oahu and the Big Island
Second Amendment Friendly Real Estate Agent RS-77348
(808) 366-8714  dave@davebrilliant.com
Dave Brilliant Website - Da Kine Web Design - Kona Forum - Koko Head Shooting Complex
Kona Ka'u Realty, 75-143 Hualalai Road, B-205, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

mikenkapolei

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
I don't keep track but between pistol, rifle, and trap, about  10,000 rounds.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:31:07 AM »
Lately, I would say maybe 1000 5.56/.223 and around 2000 9 mm per year.  Used to be more when I was going to the range more often and taking classes. 

I spread it around.  Gun I shoot the most is probably my Glock 34 in competition, but I have two others that I'm planning on shooting instead of the 34. 

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
Lately, I would say maybe 1000 5.56/.223 and around 2000 9 mm per year.  Used to be more when I was going to the range more often and taking classes. 

I spread it around.  Gun I shoot the most is probably my Glock 34 in competition, but I have two others that I'm planning on shooting instead of the 34.
WOW! I would have thought you shot more than that. My round count is solidly over 10k per year. That is spread out over multiple calibers. I think I reload for 14 or 15 different cartridges.

Last year my round count was most certainly much less than 10k due to my missing several months due to health issues.
Dave Brilliant Website - Da Kine Web Design - Kona Forum - Koko Head Shooting Complex

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
WOW! I would have thought you shot more than that. My round count is solidly over 10k per year. That is spread out over multiple calibers. I think I reload for 14 or 15 different cartridges.

Last year my round count was most certainly much less than 10k due to my missing several months due to health issues.
I haven't been shooting much in the past 5-6 months due to health issues in the family.  Otherwise, the counts would be at least double that.  A multiday course could easily go through 600-1000 rounds of 5.56 and 9 in itself, but haven't done that in a while.  Hoping to get back to shooting more often.  One "good" thing about not shooting that much recently is that my ammo stores have been growing.   ;D

I used to hit the range around 2-4 times a month before.  I'm trying to get back to once a month. 

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
I haven't been shooting much in the past 5-6 months due to health issues in the family.  Otherwise, the counts would be at least double that.  A multiday course could easily go through 600-1000 rounds of 5.56 and 9 in itself, but haven't done that in a while.  Hoping to get back to shooting more often.  One "good" thing about not shooting that much recently is that my ammo stores have been growing.   ;D

I used to hit the range around 2-4 times a month before.  I'm trying to get back to once a month.
I'm usually a once a week shooter. And when a holiday comes up and the range is open I usually shoot on those days as well.

My ammo stores are limited by:

a) The number of ammo boxes I own
b) The number of brass cartridge cases I own
c) The amount of room in my house
d) The amount of money in my wallet
e) How lazy I have been about keeping up on my reloading  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

macsak

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »

i don't own any firearms, or ammo, or reloading supplies...

Hanabata

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
After White Shark Arms closed, Big Island no longer has a shooting range, so my count went to zero.  I sure hope we get some kind of shooting range someday. 
In the meantime, I'm back to shooting my airguns lol.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
i don't own any firearms, or ammo, or reloading supplies...

And I've never seen you shoot...just standing around watching. =P

Rocky

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »
None, just like Mac
I just dry fire with fingers and practice with SIRT  :D
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
Maybe 1000 per year. 45 acp. Colt gvt.
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »
None, just like Mac
I just dry fire with fingers and practice with SIRT  :D
Do you plan on publishing a story about dry finger firing?  :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
Mosin Nagant 91/30 with 1x reddot
AR-15 Varmint 24" with Vortex 16x
AK-47 VEPR 23" with 9x scope
300BLK 16" upper with Vortex 6x

Rocky

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Do you plan on publishing a story about dry finger firing?  :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

Been done already
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

dustoff003

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
I often wonder why one of the first questions asked to the seller of a used firearm is what is the round count? Is there some magical number of rounds fired to where a firearm looses its value?

I primarily use the tapatalk app to interface with the forum, I cant see avatars or signatures.

Heavies

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
I often wonder why one of the first questions asked to the seller of a used firearm is what is the round count? Is there some magical number of rounds fired to where a firearm looses its value?

Only after firing one round from a Hi-point...

Aloha808

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »

The same reason why people want to know how much miles are on a used car before they buy.

1911Kid

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 01:35:32 AM »
People are asking why you would want to know how many rounds have been put through a used gun. Presumably you'd want to know for the same reason you'd want to know how many miles are on a used car. That is to say a round count would give you some sort of information about worth, and/or remaining life regarding the firearm. This makes little sense to me. Firstly, there is no law saying you need to keep track of how many rounds have been put through your gun unlike miles on your car (odometer laws). Secondly, and unlike cars, the useful life of firearms are rarely, rarely reached. Per Hilton Yam you can expect to retire a 1911 after 70,000 rounds or so. After 80,000 rounds through my first 1911 I would tend to agree with this (if you are shooting full power loads. If you are shooting reloads expect 100,000+ before cracks in the frame *might* develop [http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/Reliability%2C-Round-Counts%2C-and-Longevity-in-1911s.html]). My point being most guns will never, truly, be "used" guns. Even polymer guns can endure thousands upon thousands of rounds before needing severe attention.

As such, "used" guns are sometimes great deals.

Inspector

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:12 AM »

I get why people ask the question. What I can't understand is why I have asked this in the past? I am guilty of doing this. There is a reason why the law forces auto manufacturers to install an odometer on a car. People lie and people don't have great memories. In the long run, I doubt any one here can tell if a gun has had 50 rounds or 500 or 5,000? What difference does it make if the seller lies and says 50 when it has 500 or 5,000 through it?

Perhaps I did it because I was not confident enough in my abilities to appraise the condition of a used gun in the past? I know over the years I have stopped asking and started paying more attention to the signs of wear and tear. JMHO