NRA Annual Meeting (Read 7226 times)

zippz

Re: NRA Annual Meeting
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
NRA ILA University
https://www.nraila.org/grassroots/nra-university/

I attended this workshop which focuses on working with college students on 2a rights.   Most universities and their college professors are anti-gun and have a lot of influence on their students.  Students entering college from high school have fresh minds and blank slate and don't know about popular topics and haven't taken sides on issues yet.  They absorb information and relate to the people around them.  They become the middle and upper class workers and future voters which is why we need to talk to them about gun rights and why it's important.  The NRAILA University program will send speakers to college campuses to host a seminar on gun rights and other 2a related topics at no charge.   A student organization has to host them which are typically shooting clubs and conservative groups like Young Americans for LIberty, College Republicans, and Young America's Foundation.

They had a panel of college students to include Antonia Okafor who is an avid 2a activist and helped to pass the Texas campus carry law.  They made an example of Yale university.  They were able to have free speech and debates on the 2nd amendment which started by taking the opposition to the gun range.
Discussion points:
- Advertise shooting events on campus.
- Invite college students to try shooting guns
- encourage them to take a firearms safety class
- Be prepared and informed prior to talking to professors and advisors about the subject, they are more likely to listen even if they're anti-gun.
- Safe gun use can show college students are responsible, not the stereotypical drunks.
- NRA is looking for university student organizations to host a 2a Seminar.

Anyone know of student organizations that would be willing to host the NRA on campus?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:17:07 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

Re: NRA Annual Meeting
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
Finishing up my conference notes.  It was a nice experience being there it felt much more friendlier than Shot Show(annual firearms expo restricted to retailers and armed professionals).  The NRA Annual Meeting Expo is focused on NRA members and families so I guess the vendors have less pressure to make a sale and seemed much more pleasant to talk to.  They had firearms clubs that displayed their collections, shooting organizations like the USPSA and Appleseed, and other political organizations which you don't see at Shot Show.  I thought I would be the only guy from Hawaii attending, but I ran across a couple shooters from the Chinese Gun Club attending for their first time, and another person from LIFE.  It was an expensive and long trip there but I enjoyed it.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu