HPS 2 Gun Match (Read 9225 times)

Bota-CS1

Re: HPS 2 Gun Match
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 09:13:30 AM »
Look at the target after I shoot em.

85 to 90% A zone hits is Master status.   :worship:  Time for everyone to pack it up and head home.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 09:32:49 AM »
I usually don't look at the targets after I've shot a stage.  I should though and see how I am doing that day and can make some adjustments.  Sometimes the scorer will come to me with the tablet and start explaining a call that was on the line or something and I usually just tell them "it's fine".  There are those that get SUPER into it.  I've seen some pretty heated arguments discussions.  I mean I am competitive and want to do well, but being out there is meant to be mostly relaxing and fun. 

90% A zone hits should translate to pretty good scoring.  Doesn't help much if you're shooting in super quick times and getting penalties or poor hits, especially in minor. 

zippz

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
85 to 90% A zone hits is Master status.   :worship:  Time for everyone to pack it up and head home.

Anyone can do it.  Just shoot slow and make your hits count.  After shooting a few matches I realize that I could develop bad habits for defensive shooting.  At the firearms courses I attended there are only A zone hits.  Everything else is misses.

I learned a lesson during the 3rd stage of the match.  I didn't seat my magazine in properly on the steel targets and had to tap rack.  It threw my focus off so I missed a shot.  I had to tell my self to refocus and don't rush the shots.  I noticed some other shooters would hit the steel targets and miss one.  At that point their focus is off and would rush and get lots of misses after that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:54:16 AM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

oldfart

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
I usually don't look at the targets after I've shot a stage.  I should though and see how I am doing that day and can make some adjustments.  Sometimes the scorer will come to me with the tablet and start explaining a call that was on the line or something and I usually just tell them "it's fine".  There are those that get SUPER into it.  I've seen some pretty heated arguments discussions.  I mean I am competitive and want to do well, but being out there is meant to be mostly relaxing and fun. 

90% A zone hits should translate to pretty good scoring.  Doesn't help much if you're shooting in super quick times and getting penalties or poor hits, especially in minor.
=============
When possible, I always look at the target while it is being scored to make sure it is being counted correctly.
Especially if there are prizes involved.
Just be sure NOT to touch the target....it's against the rules
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
=============
When possible, I always look at the target while it is being scored to make sure it is being counted correctly.
Especially if there are prizes involved.
Just be sure NOT to touch the target....it's against the rules
After a stage, I usually just pick up my mags and head to my bag to reload for the next stage.  I trust that the scorers are doing things properly.  That said, I should pay attention more to better evaluate how I am shooting and where I need to improve, practice, etc.  I've gotten to many shooters and most will offer insight on what they are seeing.  One that I often have to be mindful on is transitions between targets, both with wasted motion before engaging a target and rushing the second shot before transitioning to another target.  Another one was rushing the next shot after a reload and not getting back a solid grip before the first shot after a reload and that showed with thrown shots. 

And yeah, anything that disrupts the flow of the shooting stage can mess one up.  I see it often when I shoot an array of steel.  The natural cadence can help the flow. I keep telling myself to go through the array and then go back for pickups after, but I often find myself going for the pick up right after the miss and that messed everything up after that.  Or something like a malfunction and that throws your plan off.  Often times, that's when I will find myself at the end of the stage telling myself "I had that going differently in my mind".   ;D But I also sort of embrace when that happens and have to find a way to "figure it out". 

changemyoil66

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 02:00:18 PM »
I'm a new shooter, and would it be proper edicate to complete the stages slower than compared to how you did in the video?  Just until I get more experience? 

zippz

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm a new shooter, and would it be proper edicate to complete the stages slower than compared to how you did in the video?  Just until I get more experience?

You'll have to take the IPSC 101 class from MPPL or HPS first.  Go through it slow at first for safety and to go through the proper procedures.  Muzzle discipline, safety levers, properly unload guns, and FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AT ALL TIMES unless your sights are on target and making your shot.  Then check for proper form and make good accurate shots.  Then work up the speed only as fast as you can make accurate shots.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Coconut-kid

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
After a stage, I usually just pick up my mags and head to my bag to reload for the next stage.  I trust that the scorers are doing things properly.  That said, I should pay attention more to better evaluate how I am shooting and where I need to improve, practice, etc.  I've gotten to many shooters and most will offer insight on what they are seeing.  One that I often have to be mindful on is transitions between targets, both with wasted motion before engaging a target and rushing the second shot before transitioning to another target.  Another one was rushing the next shot after a reload and not getting back a solid grip before the first shot after a reload and that showed with thrown shots. 

And yeah, anything that disrupts the flow of the shooting stage can mess one up.  I see it often when I shoot an array of steel.  The natural cadence can help the flow. I keep telling myself to go through the array and then go back for pickups after, but I often find myself going for the pick up right after the miss and that messed everything up after that.  Or something like a malfunction and that throws your plan off.  Often times, that's when I will find myself at the end of the stage telling myself "I had that going differently in my mind".   ;D But I also sort of embrace when that happens and have to find a way to "figure it out".

I had a good time that day. Wish they would have had a fourth stage.
When shooting a standard uspsa match, when you look at your scores on practiscore.com.  If you click on your name it lets you look at the breakdown of how you did each stage and where you placed over all on each one.
Zippz Thanks.  I look but at the end of the day i wouldn't remember.  😃

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 08:22:18 PM »
I had a good time that day. Wish they would have had a fourth stage.
When shooting a standard uspsa match, when you look at your scores on practiscore.com.  If you click on your name it lets you look at the breakdown of how you did each stage and where you placed over all on each one.
Zippz Thanks.  I look but at the end of the day i wouldn't remember. 
Yeah, I'll check the practiscore results, mostly to see overall performance. I just don't usually check right after I've shot. Some really hawk the scorer and the targets. Nothing wrong with checking for yourself, I usually just don't feel like it. That said, it can be useful to see how you are doing that day. One day, I was having a real tough time with some of the smaller steel. After maybe the second or third stage, I noticed that my front sight was loose enough to wobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk