Glock 19 gen 4 front sight replacement (Read 8024 times)

stangzilla

Glock 19 gen 4 front sight replacement
« on: March 22, 2019, 07:40:15 AM »
my friend just got a G19 gen 4
he wants to replace / upgrade the front sight.  the stock one is not shaped quite right, looks like a factory defect.
anyways he wants to upgrade the front sight.  i'm not a Glock guy and don't own any Glocks, so all I can recommend to him is what I search on Google. 
trijicon is a good brand so I recommended that.
what do you guys recommend?  do you recommend replacing the rear sight too?
seems easy to replace the front sight, the rear sight is easy too?

drck1000

Re: Glock 19 gen 4 front sight replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 07:46:21 AM »
my friend just got a G19 gen 4
he wants to replace / upgrade the front sight.  the stock one is not shaped quite right, looks like a factory defect.
anyways he wants to upgrade the front sight.  i'm not a Glock guy and don't own any Glocks, so all I can recommend to him is what I search on Google. 
trijicon is a good brand so I recommended that.
what do you guys recommend?  do you recommend replacing the rear sight too?
seems easy to replace the front sight, the rear sight is easy too?
Depends what he wants. Plain, fiber optic, tritium, etc. super easy to replace front sight.

I would replace rear with the selected front. Rear is harder to replace, but not by much. Just need some nylon or softer punches. I have the Glock sight tool and can replace and adjust for him if needed.

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:39 AM »
Depends what he wants. Plain, fiber optic, tritium, etc. super easy to replace front sight.

I would replace rear with the selected front. Rear is harder to replace, but not by much. Just need some nylon or softer punches. I have the Glock sight tool and can replace and adjust for him if needed.

thanks, i'll keep that in mind   :shaka:
he didn't say anything about wanting to replace the rear sight, I was just wondering about that myself.
i'll see what he wants to do

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »
thanks, i'll keep that in mind   :shaka:
he didn't say anything about wanting to replace the rear sight, I was just wondering about that myself.
i'll see what he wants to do
I believe the stock plastic ones are lower than most aftermarket ones. I’d have to look at my notes at home.

macsak

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
I believe the stock plastic ones are lower than most aftermarket ones. I’d have to look at my notes at home.

sights mostly come in pairs, and this would be a chance to upgrade to better sights...

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
sights mostly come in pairs, and this would be a chance to upgrade to better sights...
I know the Hi-Viz front sights are lower.l and didn’t work well with my 10-8 rear sights. I read they work well with the stock plastic sights though.

jase90

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »
Dawson sells just the front sight at different heights. They even let you return and receive their sights for free until you get whatever point of impact you want. I use their fiber optic sights on my "just for fun" Glocks.

If tritium I've used Trijicon, Warren, XS F8s, and Night Fision. I prefer Warren and XS F8s the best.

I would recommend him changing both rear and front if he can. The height difference between the OEM rear and any aftermarket front sight might throw his point of aim and point of impact elevation wise pretty far off if he hasn't had much experience with sight height angles. Hope this contributes to your friends decision.

stangzilla

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
Dawson sells just the front sight at different heights. They even let you return and receive their sights for free until you get whatever point of impact you want. I use their fiber optic sights on my "just for fun" Glocks.

If tritium I've used Trijicon, Warren, XS F8s, and Night Fision. I prefer Warren and XS F8s the best.

I would recommend him changing both rear and front if he can. The height difference between the OEM rear and any aftermarket front sight might throw his point of aim and point of impact elevation wise pretty far off if he hasn't had much experience with sight height angles. Hope this contributes to your friends decision.

thanks, appreciate your input   :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
If he's keeping the stock rear sights, it limits what "upgrades" he can choose from.

I'm sure there are many members here with a stock front sight they can part with.

I like the hybrid sights on my G17: tritium and fiber optic combined.

TruGlo TFX Pro

http://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-pro-handgun-sights.asp

They come as a set for the Glock -- why wouldn't they? You wouldn't want to just be able to see the front sight clearly and not the rear.

As for installation, most shops that sell sights will often install for free.  Or you can buy or borrow a sight pusher.  Installing is easier than uninstalling the old if you're being careful to not scratch the finish.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 12:35:53 PM »
Actually, if he wants stock sights, I prob still have.

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 01:09:18 PM »
If he's keeping the stock rear sights, it limits what "upgrades" he can choose from.

I'm sure there are many members here with a stock front sight they can part with.

I like the hybrid sights on my G17: tritium and fiber optic combined.

TruGlo TFX Pro

http://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-pro-handgun-sights.asp

They come as a set for the Glock -- why wouldn't they? You wouldn't want to just be able to see the front sight clearly and not the rear.

As for installation, most shops that sell sights will often install for free.  Or you can buy or borrow a sight pusher.  Installing is easier than uninstalling the old if you're being careful to not scratch the finish.

I like the truglo and the trijicon.
getting the front and rear sights together does seem like the better way to go

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »
I like the truglo and the trijicon.
getting the front and rear sights together does seem like the better way to go

It makes more sense to upgrade both sights.

If he's reluctant to upgrade the rear, it makes more sense to just stick with a stock Glock front sight, particularly when most upgrades come as a set.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Influence

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 11:08:39 PM »
I have experience with Trijicon HDs and Ameriglo iDot Pros for glocks.  Love the straight 8 sight style.  I also use fiber optics with blacked out rears on my CZs and love that as well but wouldn’t set that up for home defense.

Recently came into a stock gen 3 glock 19.  Will likely go with the Ameriglo iDot pros or consider the night fision straight 8s

Drakiir84

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 08:52:46 AM »
I've got Night Fision, Truglo TFX pro's and Trijicon HD's.  Of the 3 I prefer the Trijicon HD's.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

PalisadesKid

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »
Ameriglo Agent. When I bought them late last year they WERE exclusive to Brownells for $89.00, but the prices went up to $120.00 Very comparative but a cheaper alternative to the Trijicon HDs but a lower profile.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/agent-night-sight-set-for-glock--prod113320.aspx

Heavies

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
I got the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights immediately for my new G48.  Blacked out rear and super bright orange front sight with a trid insert.    I like my sights with nothing in the rear sight to distract and a high visibility front. 

Problem with mine was, they only have G43 height sights and none for the G48 at this time.  So the pistol shot low.  I used the Dawson calculator on their website to order the right height front fiber optic.  I love Dawson fibers, use them on my CZs and Kahr, and they have never broken or gave me any problems. They even come with a front sight thin wall driver (Glock front sight tool).  super solid... 

Anyone looking for a barely used triduum Glock front sight, let me know!   ;D

stangzilla

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
thanks for all the suggestions and info on the Glock sights   :shaka:
I'll see my friend again in a week or so and see what he wants to do

in the mean time, I like the fiber optic sights on my 1911's, Single Ten, and GP100.  I can really tell the difference in the GP100 bc it didn't come with the fiber optic but I switched it out maybe over a year ago and it looks really bright, easy to pick up
so I just ordered fiber optic sights for my Redhawk and Super Blackhawk Hunter.  front sights on these are really easy to change, just like the GP100.  it has a plunger spring that you press and they come right out.  change takes maybe 15 seconds
i'll post pics when they come in 

jase90

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
You probably made up your mind already but figure 8 sights have been grown on me. Less distracting than three dots during the day and really easy to line up in low light.

Warren Sevigny iron sights.

stangzilla

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 05:18:16 PM »
You probably made up your mind already but figure 8 sights have been grown on me. Less distracting than three dots during the day and really easy to line up in low light.

that looks different
the sights are for my friend, so far he hasn't decided what he wants yet
thank you to all who offered their suggestions.  much appreciated   :shaka:

6716J

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 07:29:57 AM »

Been contemplating the switch over to the Straight 8's. Have one with them already and others are 3 dots. Thinking of changing all over as 2 dots are easier to line up than 3. At  least thats the principle. What are your thoughts so far?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.