Teaching my first NRA Instructors course (Read 10552 times)

zippz

Teaching my first NRA Instructors course
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:29:16 PM »
I'm teaching my first NRA Instructors Pistol Shooting course (Basic Pistol Instructors) this week to a group of friends.  Fortunately they are a group of very experienced shooters and instructors in other areas so hopefully this will be smooth.  It took a lot of hard work, time, and money to get to this point.  I got my NRA IPS certification about 5 years ago, Sig Sauer instructor certs, NRA CRSO, and other courses.  I flew up to the NRA HQ in Virginia last year to finally take the Training Counselors course which allows you to teach instructors and was a goal I set 5 years ago.  I've been teaching a variety of classes on my own, with other instructors, and with LIFE.  Teaching with LIFE was especially useful to see how other people teach their classes and learning techniques.  Probably spent around $15,000 on my travel, classes, and equipment up to this point.

For future NRA Training Counselors and Instructors, I recommend getting as much training as you can get even if it means traveling to the mainland.  Get a wide variety of experiences shooting with all the different clubs and shooting disciplines here, getting to know the community, and volunteering when you can.  Learn about the gun rights side too.  Education, Community, and Rights.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

rklapp

Re: Teaching my first NRA Instructors course
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:44:29 PM »
Well at least it's tax deductible, maybe...
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Tom_G

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »
If you need another TC, drop me a line.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:14:37 PM »
Taught my first NRA pistol instructor class last weekend which was a last minute request for my friends.  It was very rough and stressful and fortunately everyone had past experience teaching so we pushed through and got it done.  I also had to teach them the Basics of Pistol Shooting (BPS) course as a prereq since it's rarely taught.  3 days and nights of class.

Prepping for the class was quite a bit of work, especially putting the binders together and I ended up using a 700 sheet ream of paper printing the materials.   I have a heavy duty printer which saved me half the cost of printing it outside.  I purchased the 1" binders from Amazon for about $2 each but they just barely held everything, next time I'll get the 1.5" binders instead and add 8 tab binder dividers too.

Inside the binders I had the:
1.  NRA BIT (ordered through NRA)
2.  NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting ILT (downloaded and printed)
3.  NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Blended (downloaded and printed)
4.  Additional NRA BIT financial worksheet
5.  NRA BIT/BPS/BPS Instructor Exams
6.  Extra BPS qual and instructor qual targets
7.  NRA Pistol Pre-course qual.
8.  Extra NRA Pistol Performance Requirements Checklist
9.  NRA Gun Safety Rules card
10.  HRA HI Firearm laws (http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/hawaii-gun-laws/)
11.  Compiled ATF HRS (https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/firearmsstatutesandcodes-hawaiipdf/download)
12.  HRS 663-9.5 Liability of firearm owners (https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol13_Ch0601-0676/HRS0663/HRS_0663-0009_0005.htm)
13.  Sample Hawaii affidavit
14.  HI Firearm purchase flowchart (https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=222.0)
15.  HRA application (http://hawaiirifleassociation.org/membership/)
16.  HI SBDC flyer (www.hisbdc.org)
17.  Liability waiver

That was a lot to print and assemble.  Basic pistol was simple since everyone was already very experienced, except the candidates needed some help working the revolvers the NRA way.  For the live fire, I did an excellent range orientation and safety brief as an example, then went over coaching and tricks for troubleshooting accuracy like ball and dummy and live fire1 dry fire 1 drills.  2 candidates finished the instructor qual with centerfire, the other 2 were close but had to switch to rimfire to get the 16 out of 20 shots in a 6" group at 15 yards.  That was it, next up is the instructor course.

To be continued....

Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Wake27

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 08:23:32 PM »
Where’d you do this and is it something you’ll be doing regularly? Honestly I don’t have a whole lot of interest in much of the NRA courses but I know that having their basic instructor certs could be very useful.

ren

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:06 PM »
In this day and age why print?
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »
In this day and age why print?

The standard now is to have a large TV or projector to display the visual aids, with copies of all the slides and lectures provided digitally -- on CD or small thumb drive.  The files can also be made available for download by people wanting to use an iPad or similar device.

Makes life much easier.  As long as the students have something to take notes on, copies of forms, and any other printed material you really need them to write on and/or hand in completed, there's no real need to provide printed docs for everything. 

You do need to be careful of copyrights.  Whether printed or digital, some people don't want you distributing their information, especially digitally.  They want the web traffic for that content.  They may also want to make sure there aren't old copies being distributed.  You can display it in class and give out the links, but you may not be allowed to give out copies.

Even information that looks like public domain (HRS info, etc) may have pictures or clarifications that are not for distribution without permission.  If you contact the people who own the source info and get permission, it might save some problems later.

Something to be aware of.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
I'd like to get info on when you do an instructor course for rifle if you're going to offer it. Im an NRA RSO, but want the instructor in order to teach boy scouts here the right way.
🤙

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

zippz

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:52:56 PM »
Where’d you do this and is it something you’ll be doing regularly? Honestly I don’t have a whole lot of interest in much of the NRA courses but I know that having their basic instructor certs could be very useful.

The NRA Instructor is a good start that can lead to more advanced firearm instructor certs or help you in non-firearm projects.  Also good to put on your resume.

I did this one for friends so did it at their homes. I'll do another class for another group of friends and refine it.  It is very tiring to prep and teach it by myself, and having to also teach NRA Basic Pistol to the instructors is even more time spent. LIFE teaches it too once a year. I'm not sure if anyone else teaches it.

zippz

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »
I'd like to get info on when you do an instructor course for rifle if you're going to offer it. Im an NRA RSO, but want the instructor in order to teach boy scouts here the right way.
🤙

I don't have the rifle instructor cert, I've been looking for it but no one seems to teach it here.  I'll end up taking it on the mainland then I can teach the instructor course here.  I wanted to become an appleseed instructor,and bring the program here but it'll be too difficult.  I'd have to help instruct 7 appleseed events to get my certification, and these are only held on the mainland.

zippz

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:23 AM »
I was unsure about using digital copies, even though I'm a computer guy I'm still old school growing up using printed manuals.  Guess I can ask the students which version they want prior to class.

6716J

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 06:03:56 AM »
I don't have the rifle instructor cert, I've been looking for it but no one seems to teach it here.  I'll end up taking it on the mainland then I can teach the instructor course here.  I wanted to become an appleseed instructor,and bring the program here but it'll be too difficult.  I'd have to help instruct 7 appleseed events to get my certification, and these are only held on the mainland.
If you ever get to it let me know and I'll be in your first class.

Drakiir84

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 07:12:48 AM »
The NRA Instructor is a good start that can lead to more advanced firearm instructor certs or help you in non-firearm projects.  Also good to put on your resume.

I did this one for friends so did it at their homes. I'll do another class for another group of friends and refine it. It is very tiring to prep and teach it by myself, and having to also teach NRA Basic Pistol to the instructors is even more time spent. LIFE teaches it too once a year. I'm not sure if anyone else teaches it.

Yeah man, there's a reason why LIFE does it with 5-7 Training Counselors lol. 
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

6716J

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
Anyone know when LIFE is going again? I sent them an email 2 weeks ago trying to get information from them.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »
Anyone know when LIFE is going again? I sent them an email 2 weeks ago trying to get information from them.

Have you been actively coming out to HRA/LIFE events? If you are actively attending and volunteering with the monthly LIFE class, that will give you the best opportunity to get in when they do run the class. That’s how I got involved as well as many here. 

To answer your question, no idea. Last class was March 2017. I would guess that there would be another soon, but I haven’t heard anything. TomG prob has the best info on that regard, at least as far as those who are active on the board.

Surf

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
Good job Zippz.  Be content in the knowledge that it usually gets easier as your programs, lesson plans, and materials develop. 

zippz

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 06:20:45 PM »
Going to try it again next month and try and smooth it out.  Materials, supplies, and equipment was good the last time.  Remembering what was next in the lesson plan and extra stuff to go over was the difficult part. Next time I have the classes days spaced out over 3 weekends so I can focus on each section better and not be stressed out.

6716J

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »
Have you been actively coming out to HRA/LIFE events? If you are actively attending and volunteering with the monthly LIFE class, that will give you the best opportunity to get in when they do run the class. That’s how I got involved as well as many here. 

To answer your question, no idea. Last class was March 2017. I would guess that there would be another soon, but I haven’t heard anything. TomG prob has the best info on that regard, at least as far as those who are active on the board.
No I haven't, but that's on me.

Thanks though for the info.

Tom_G

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 08:46:39 PM »

LIFE tries to do Instructor classes annually. Back when I was president, we'd always have a waiting list, but we threw it open to pretty much anyone who wanted to attend and could pass the quals. We had a partnership with the Boy Scouts, so we'd also offer Rifle and Shotgun in rotation, because their Scout Masters needed the NRA certs in order to administer the merit badges.

As you discovered, this is a shit ton of work. And we weren't really getting anything out of it. Half of the class members were from the Scouts, and after the class, went and only did Scouting things. Most of the other half we made into instructors just disappeared to do their own thing. So, now, the people who show up at LIFE/HRA events and volunteer often enough to be recognized are likely to be the first to know when a class is coming up. And, make no mistake, that class will fill. So if you just contact them and say "Hey, I'd like to be an instructor," you'll make the waiting list, but unless there are surplus slots available, you won't get in. And there are never, ever surplus slots.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »
LIFE tries to do Instructor classes annually. Back when I was president, we'd always have a waiting list, but we threw it open to pretty much anyone who wanted to attend and could pass the quals. We had a partnership with the Boy Scouts, so we'd also offer Rifle and Shotgun in rotation, because their Scout Masters needed the NRA certs in order to administer the merit badges.

As you discovered, this is a shit ton of work. And we weren't really getting anything out of it. Half of the class members were from the Scouts, and after the class, went and only did Scouting things. Most of the other half we made into instructors just disappeared to do their own thing. So, now, the people who show up at LIFE/HRA events and volunteer often enough to be recognized are likely to be the first to know when a class is coming up. And, make no mistake, that class will fill. So if you just contact them and say "Hey, I'd like to be an instructor," you'll make the waiting list, but unless there are surplus slots available, you won't get in. And there are never, ever surplus slots.
What Tom said. That’s what I was trying to convey, but he did it much better and clear(er). Why he’s an excellent teacher, including NRA instructor and training counselor. He has had some excellent students along the way, including a few 2aHawaii members.