Three Big Mistakes Gun Owners Make (Read 7180 times)

macsak

Three Big Mistakes Gun Owners Make
« on: February 25, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »

changemyoil66

Re: Three Big Mistakes Gun Owners Make
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »
Mistake NUMERO UNO...not buying a HK and getting a Glock instead.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »
Lots of truth in that video
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
As the resident noob, I learned about 1 year in to "buy once, cry once".  I have that box of shame that he mentioned.  Now I don't just buy the cheap stuff.

zippz

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »
A 4th one I found through experience myself and as an instructor, is people don't know what they don't know.  Most shooter's don't know what good shooting is or what kind of skills are needed in a self-defense situation.  So they think shooting a paper target one shot at a time at Koko Head in the shade taking their time is good enough.  Some will take risks and reach out to continue to expand their knowledge and skills by trying different things, asking questions to more experienced shooters, and attending different classes.  Some prefer to stay ignorant.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »
Mistake NUMERO UNO...not buying a HK and getting a Glock instead.
..I bought a block because the pd and everybody's brother bought them.
So I thought they must be the greatest thing ever.
They are cheap and reliable...and I'll just stop here.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »
..I bought a block because the pd and everybody's brother bought them.
So I thought they must be the greatest thing ever.
They are cheap and reliable...and I'll just stop here.

I know a few guys who have S&W 5906 cause "that's what HPD uses".  I tried one and damn it's like a paper weight compared to the polymer stuff now.

Probably can sell them in CA cause it's old enough to be on the CA approved list.

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 03:07:15 PM »
I know a few guys who have S&W 5906 cause "that's what HPD uses".  I tried one and damn it's like a paper weight compared to the polymer stuff now.

Probably can sell them in CA cause it's old enough to be on the CA approved list.
When hpd bought 5906s, I was given a 3913 (mini 5906) to try out.
It was so good I bought one and entrust it as my home defense to this day,
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
I rely on my trusty Samsung Galaxy 7 to speed dial 911 since I no mo guns any more.

humblebe

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:50:21 PM »
calling 911 is typically good for a police report of what happened to you...

drck1000

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 11:28:49 PM »
I have a BOS. In general, I buy quality products, both guns and accessories. I like to try different things and evaulate and see for myself if I like or don’t like. While there’s definitely an expensive learning curve, I found that experience valuable for me. What I thought I wanted certainly changed from when I first got into shooting, but it changes every not and then as I try new things. As wise man once told me to “trust but verify”.

I agree with his point about seeking professional instruction and vetting your instructors. I’ve been to classes with a bunch of different instructors, both local and mainland. While I’ve learned something from all, sometimes it’s what I don’t want in my shooting toolbox.

A 4th one I found through experience myself and as an instructor, is people don't know what they don't know.  Most shooter's don't know what good shooting is or what kind of skills are needed in a self-defense situation.  So they think shooting a paper target one shot at a time at Koko Head in the shade taking their time is good enough.  Some will take risks and reach out to continue to expand their knowledge and skills by trying different things, asking questions to more experienced shooters, and attending different classes.  Some prefer to stay ignorant.
I totally agree with the “people don’t know what they don’t know” part. I’ve learned that in my work very early on and very much is true for shooting. I’ve also found there are many folks who “know what they know”. Those who are so sure their way is the ONLY way and minds are either not open enough or nimble enough to see that there are always ways that one can improve.

Sadly I also see a lot of those who “prefer to stay ignorant part”. Shooting can be humbling at times and sometimes you have to check your ego and not get in your own way. At least I’ve found that true for me.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:22 AM »
Another mistake I see is that new gun owners spend most of their budget on the guns and accessories and don't leave enough money for ammo.  Well, maybe many folks don't intend to shoot much, but when I first got into ARs, I was told that if I shoot often, the cost of ammo will quickly overtake the cost of the guns and accessories.  For me, it really has. . .

Must be easy for guys like Mac who 1) don't own guns, 2) don't have ammo, and 3) don't have reloading supplies. . .  ;D

macsak

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
Must be easy for guys like Mac who 1) don't own guns, 2) don't have ammo, and 3) don't have reloading supplies. . .  ;D

heads

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »
Another mistake I see is that new gun owners spend most of their budget on the guns and accessories and don't leave enough money for ammo.  Well, maybe many folks don't intend to shoot much, but when I first got into ARs, I was told that if I shoot often, the cost of ammo will quickly overtake the cost of the guns and accessories.  For me, it really has. . .

Any by shooting more, you realize what works for you mentally, body type, and stuff like that. All the stuff I buy, I leave them bone stock until I put a few thousand rounds in.  And I have noticed here and there I add or replace for the better.  Except my free float handguard.  I got that 100% because the wife's rifle looks cooler than mine and I can't have her out do me.  I had the magpul carbine plastic one before.

RSN172

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
...... the cost of ammo will quickly overtake the cost of the guns and accessories.  For me, it really has. . .

I strongly recommend you follow macsak's lead and sell all your guns, ammo and acc.  Don't buy any more.  It will do wonders for your finances.

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
Any by shooting more, you realize what works for you mentally, body type, and stuff like that. All the stuff I buy, I leave them bone stock until I put a few thousand rounds in.  And I have noticed here and there I add or replace for the better.  Except my free float handguard.  I got that 100% because the wife's rifle looks cooler than mine and I can't have her out do me.  I had the magpul carbine plastic one before.
Very true. When I first got into ARs, I had a whole list of things I wanted based on what I saw and feedback from people. I was told by many who I came to respect a lot to invest in ammo and shoot a lot first before going too far. I half listened. Or at least I invested in “buy once cry once” thinking and didnt waste that much. But I did spend a lot on trying Aimpoint vs EoTech, FSP vs flip up sights, etc. I wasn’t really ably to try friends guns, so I basically put together different variations to try for myself and then eventually find what worked for me. It changes here and there, but yeah, shooting more helps that a lot. Things that you think might work from watching YouTube or listening to others sometimes doesn’t work out quite right when shooting, especially in classes.

drck1000

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
I strongly recommend you follow macsak's lead and sell all your guns, ammo and acc.  Don't buy any more.  It will do wonders for your finances.
Oh hell. I’m giving away all my stuff. Anyone interested?  :P

;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 09:59:41 AM »
Oh hell. I’m giving away all my stuff. Anyone interested?  :P

;D

Please stay off a boat.  I have a crystal ball and it foresees all you firearms (if you own any) being lost in a boating accident.

robtmc

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
But, will HPD remove you from Rapback if you were one of the unfortunates to get nabbed by that?

changemyoil66

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
But, will HPD remove you from Rapback if you were one of the unfortunates to get nabbed by that?

Nor will they allow you to un-register any gun if you move.