How are you preparing/prepared for Corona? (Read 32516 times)

Rocky

Re: How are you preparing/prepared for Corona?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »
Quote from: oldfart on Today at 12:57:09 PM
    It was waking up in a seedy motel with a bunch of Mexican boys  :rofl: :shake: :shake:

heads

and tails  :shake: :shake:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
Costco (Iwilei) going/gone dry on Lysol, gloves T.P.,  PT,  water, charcoal...  :shake: :shake: :shake:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
Costco (Iwilei) going/gone dry on Lysol, gloves T.P.,  PT,  water, charcoal...  :shake: :shake: :shake:
Really?  Wow!  That didn't take long for the panic to start.  And here I was gonna make my usual Sams run today.  I was gonna go last Friday, but it was around lunch and I didn't want to go during the lunch crowd.

Gloves?  I have a couple of boxes of nitrile gloves.  Didn't think that was a run item.  Why people always panic buy TP is funny to me.  I almost always have plenty for a while.  I guess it's different if you're buying for a household of 3+, but TP lasts a while for my situation. 

I heard Purell and other hand sanitizers were out too. 

macsak

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 03:21:06 PM »

what's PT?

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 03:30:34 PM »

RSN172

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 04:10:39 PM »

Why people always panic buy TP is funny to me. 

TP....there is no substitute.

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »
Have you never gone fishing on a boat?   :o

:rofl:

RSN172

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 10:43:08 PM »

I had my own boat while still in high school.  Just a 12 ft aluminum boat with a 7 hp Johnson, but I would take it a mile or so from shore.
 Never had to do nbr 2 on a boat, but none of my fishing trips lasted more than 6 hours.

Rocky

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 08:44:00 AM »
what's PT?
Used TP  :rofl: :rofl:

Quote from: RSN172 on February 26, 2020, 04:10:39 PM

Use Fish  ? :wacko:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:43 AM »
Used TP  :rofl: :rofl:

Quote from: RSN172 on February 26, 2020, 04:10:39 PM

TP....there is no substitute.Use Fish  ? :wacko:
I try to avoid the puffer fish. . .  :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »
Went to Sams Keeaumoku yesterday after work for my usual run.  I typically swing by there every 3-4 weeks.  I got there at around 6:30.  There was actually plenty of parking when I got there, but no wagons.  Picked up what I needed and picked up some prep items to supplement what I already have.  I did notice that TP aisles were completely wiped out.  There had bottled water, but it was down to the filtered water or the tiny "half sized" bottles.  People were loading up like 4-8 cases at at time!   :o  Rice was out and I saw a bunch of people loading up on instant ramen.  Select canned foods were out, but there were still plenty available if you wanted/needed.  The "scan your own" checkout line was actually very fast.  They were restocking the cleaning wipes when I passed by that aisle and people were snatching them up.  They were out of hand sanitizer. 

When I got back to my car, it was around 7 pm and I guess people saw the warnings on the evening news and the parking lot was packed and long lines of cars trying to get into the parking lot.  If it was like that when I got to the parking lot, I would've just gone home.  The panic the announcement caused is crazy.  I heard Hawaii Kai Costco was even worse! 

groveler

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2020, 12:30:02 PM »
Not doing anything.  I already have a 6 week supply of food if there is a pandemic and ordered to stay home.
We have catchment water and no close neighbors.  Also have a 6 week supply of toilet paper and paper towels.
I am retired so I don't go to work.  If there is an outbreak in Hawaii I will stock up on dog food and chicken feed.
I have 8 hens which supply me all the eggs I need.
I live a bit north of you (I think).
I usually keep about 6 months worth of food, not counting the food that wanders around the yard
or is planted.
Cattle, pigs, Fruit trees, veggies et al.
I have 16 hens and 3 roosters.
34,000 gallons of catchment water and Ag ditch water.
Plus all the other prep stuff,  soaps, medicine et al.
I too am retired so don't go out much.
Investigate "Family cloths" it will reduce your toilet paper
requirements if you switch over.  If you ever had kids,
and used traditional diapers you know the drill.

drck1000

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
Btw, if anyone need me TP and PT, hit up Lowe’s. They have lots and NO lines or craziness.

Went tonight for other stuff and say that they had lots of TP, PT and other stuff peeps have been hoarding from Costco and Sams. Clorox wipes, Lysol, etc.

Only had thing about going to Lowe’s for me is that I ALWAYS end up buying more than what I went there for in the first place.

groveler

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
Btw, if anyone need me TP and PT, hit up Lowe’s. They have lots and NO lines or craziness.

Went tonight for other stuff and say that they had lots of TP, PT and other stuff peeps have been hoarding from Costco and Sams. Clorox wipes, Lysol, etc.

Only had thing about going to Lowe’s for me is that I ALWAYS end up buying more than what I went there for in the first place.
Lowes is a 100+mile trip for me but they do give me a 10% discount!  I dropped Costco years ago, as they don't discount Vets.
Lowes, Home depot, HPM, and most car parts places do. If you are a Vet always ask and have your ID ready.

drck1000

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
Heard from friends in WA state.  One lives in Snoqualmie Ridge (east side of I-5 corridor) and seems like TP and bananas are the top items being hoarded.  Yes, bananas!  I asked them what's up with that.  Seems like it's a "neighorhood joke" for my one friend since she's from a different part of WA state.  But it seems like folks in the area stock up on TP and bananas whenever there's report of a bad storm or other even coming.   :rofl:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »
Heard from friends in WA state.  One lives in Snoqualmie Ridge (east side of I-5 corridor) and seems like TP and bananas are the top items being hoarded.  Yes, bananas!  I asked them what's up with that.  Seems like it's a "neighorhood joke" for my one friend since she's from a different part of WA state.  But it seems like folks in the area stock up on TP and bananas whenever there's report of a bad storm or other even coming.   :rofl:

She must be lactose intolerant.

On the East Coast, especially in Southern states, it's "milk and bread".

:thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »
in 2009 H1N1 infected millions of Americans in all 50 States with thousands of deaths. I don't remember a panic like Covid19.
Deeds Not Words

tillamook

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2020, 02:21:17 PM »
in 2009 H1N1 infected millions of Americans in all 50 States with thousands of deaths. I don't remember a panic like Covid19.

I think it the news pushing the story and social media showing doctors in China screaming on the phone, video with chinese in hazmat suits running a patient in a gurney down the middle of the street, video of people being chained inside their apartments and bodies laying in the hallways of chinese hospitals.   

Throw in the fact that zombies dont walk anymore, they run crazy fast and can climb 100 ft walls and you got a panic on your hands.

drck1000

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2020, 02:58:41 PM »
She must be lactose intolerant.

On the East Coast, especially in Southern states, it's "milk and bread".

:thumbsup:
Lactose intolerant?   ???  She doesn't hoard bananas, but it seems like a common thing for folks in Western WA. 

I can see how the staples of the region are bought up.  Like rice here.  I actually don't eat much rice when I'm preparing meals at home, but I do sometimes when I eat out. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2020, 08:38:30 PM »
Lactose intolerant?   ???  She doesn't hoard bananas, but it seems like a common thing for folks in Western WA. 

I can see how the staples of the region are bought up.  Like rice here.  I actually don't eat much rice when I'm preparing meals at home, but I do sometimes when I eat out.

I think most of these "traditions" are based on how difficult it is to make regular meals without fresh products, whether dairy, meat, vegetables, fruits or breads.  If you couldn't travel or if the stores are sold out, you were SOL.

That was before canned, vacuum packed and frozen foods that keep for months or years.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall