How are you preparing/prepared for Corona? (Read 32513 times)

groveler

Re: How are you preparing/prepared for Corona?
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
    Some idiot let their dogs loose which broke thru the fence and destroyed my flock of chickens.
Not only do I lose my supply of fresh eggs, they were kinda pet like and would greet us just like a dog would when we returned home.  :'(
Marilynn would literally hang out with me under the trucks when I worked on them.   :love:
No more morning greeting's, playtime before sunset or just flocking around.
   Of course I reported it and when the cop arrived, he told me "You need to harden your property" . :wacko:
 :grrr:
I don't know what kind of property you have.
I have dogs (5) that free run with the chickens( I have 27),
my chickens free range, makes finding nests interesting.
I also have a donkey,  He will kill any strange animal in
his territory.  Already killed a goat.
I have seen my Heifer stomp wild pigs.
My Mule will attack strange people and anything else
he decides he doesn't like.
My property is not a good place to trespass on.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2020, 05:33:57 PM »
Went to Costco in Waipio right after 10AM opening.  My daughter needed a few basic things, and I needed to make a couple of returns.

The LINE TO ENTER THE STORE started past the front of the store near the FlagShip Fast Lube and wrapped around the food court/front doors,. down the side, and back to the entrance.  Took about 30 minutes to get in.  About 10 minutes later, I overheard a walkie talkie saying the entrance line was cleared.

TP and 40-pack 16oz bottled water was limited to 1 per member.  If you brought another person who's on your membership, that doesn't count.  Had to have two paid memberships to get 2 of each.

The TP and water line was super quick with 3-4 employees loading the items in carts.

No problems shopping for everything else.  Checkout was no worse than most nights before a big event - Thanksgiving, Super Bowl, etc.  Took 15 minutes to check out.

So, I've got surplus TP AND ammo!    :geekdanc:

I did see 3, maybe 4, people wearing masks.  The only thing that caught my eye as being out was rubbing alcohol and whatever else was on the shelves next to it.  I didn't stop to read all the signs.  They didn't have the Nyquil I normally buy, but they had a Nyquil/Dayquil combo pack.

Worst thing was parking.  People blocking everyone while they sat and waited for a spot.  I got lucky and found a spot open up right after I filled the gas tank.

Lots of people, but Costco did a great job moving everyone in and out.   :thumbsup:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
A friend works Costco Waipio. Said Thu is their usual delivery for paper good. He said today was worse than any Black Fri or other crazy day he’s seen before.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2020, 05:50:41 PM »
A friend works Costco Waipio. Said Thu is their usual delivery for paper good. He said today was worse than any Black Fri or other crazy day he’s seen before.

I guess I got lucky in going today then. 

Maybe it was crazy for the workers, but customers were not fighting over the last must-have items.
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2020, 05:52:24 PM »
I guess I got lucky in going today then. 

Maybe it was crazy for the workers, but customers were not fighting over the last must-have items.
He said was busy at opening, but got super crazy around lunch time. Yeah, but no fights. Yet...

RSN172

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2020, 08:42:52 PM »
I saw the Costco line on the evening news before the store opened and wanted to laugh.  If I needed TP I would go to another retailer and pay a little more instead of waiting in line.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »
I saw the Costco line on the evening news before the store opened and wanted to laugh.  If I needed TP I would go to another retailer and pay a little more instead of waiting in line.

I did see a few walking out with just TP, paper towels (Bounty went on sale yesterday) and bottled water.  Most people were apparently like us, doing our regular shopping and grabbing some extra necessities while there.
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
I just ordered refills on my two daily meds from Kaiser pharmacy.  Should arrive next week.

I normally get a 3 month's supply of each Rx. Kaiser offers a discount for mail delivery:  3 months for the price of 2.

If the situation worsens as many fear, the healthcare system could start seeing longer wait times for routine services -- like refills.  I imagine exceptions for Rx coverage might be offered to let us get refills outside of our "network" for the same price/co-pay, but I've not seen anything like that announced.
-- Melvin Udall

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 04:29:51 PM »
N95 masks won't help
You can eat the cats

Eating Weird meat is how we got here...

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
I have been deepening my preparations.  Focused on flu medications, then meat (freeze), then luxuries (chocolate, cookies, beer, whisky). One thing I realised was I needed to get a supply of milk for our babies.  Dry formula was crazy expensive.  Went with powdered milk (6lbs), enough for 32 days for our daughter.  Next is gasoline(25 gallons) and filling up our water tanks. I fully expect a terrorist attack on th e USA when the virus is at its peak.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
I have been deepening my preparations.  Focused on flu medications, then meat (freeze), then luxuries (chocolate, cookies, beer, whisky). One thing I realised was I needed to get a supply of milk for our babies.  Dry formula was crazy expensive.  Went with powdered milk (6lbs), enough for 32 days for our daughter.  Next is gasoline(25 gallons) and filling up our water tanks. I fully expect a terrorist attack on th e USA when the virus is at its peak.

Carnation Evaporated Milk.

Great for cooking, and not too bad for drinking.  It's thicker and creamier than fresh, because it has less water (hence, the "Evaporated"  :shaka:).  It's more stable for longer term shelf life. 

According to trusted sources, it's just as nutritious as fresh.

Adding a little water makes it less thick and creamy, similar to normal milk.  For cooking, just add as you would normal milk.  For drinking or cereal, add a little water.

I have a couple of cases in the pantry from Costco.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  My mom used to always have this in the cupboard just in case we ran out of cold milk while baking or cooking.

-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
We stopped drinking milk when a friend of ours asked "What other mammal keeps drinking milk after infancy ?  :wacko:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

changemyoil66

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2020, 08:21:47 AM »
Vegas is more getting nuts.

Coolers, canned goods, ramen shelves all empty. Lines out the door.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RSN172

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
Vegas is more getting nuts.

Coolers, canned goods, ramen shelves all empty. Lines out the door.

I regretfully canceled my 15 day trip to Vegas starting Mar 31.  Our high school reunion there got canceled and we normally go to Costco, Sams or Walmart to pick up supplies, food and drinks for the condo.  With long lines and bare shelves and the cancellation of the event I was going there for, I decided to just stay home.  HA and our time share is waiving all penalties and fees.  Additionally, my daughter who lives there said a lot of the big showrooms and other places are closing.  Just not a good time to travel.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2020, 10:28:17 AM »
We stopped drinking milk when a friend of ours asked "What other mammal keeps drinking milk after infancy ?  :wacko:

That's a human, 1st-World rationale.

Maybe the other mammals never figured out how to milk a cow once their own mothers stopped lactating?   :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2020, 11:17:22 AM »

Maybe the other mammals never figured out how to milk a cow once their own mothers stopped lactating?   :geekdanc:
More like other animals dont hang together. Ive seen other animal moms foster other species and they drink the milk.

edster48

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
Just buying more ammo and waiting for ESF-13 to be implemented.
Always be yourself.
Unless you can be a pirate.
Then always be a pirate.

Rocky

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2020, 08:29:55 AM »
I'm talking about cold milk, not Cold War.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

oldfart

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2020, 09:52:22 AM »
I just lost power at my house.
Battery backups kicked in. I guess I'll go walk the dog now.
What, Me Worry?

groveler

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2020, 10:44:05 AM »
I just lost power at my house.
Battery backups kicked in. I guess I'll go walk the dog now.
What Kind of batteries?
I have a 10.6 kWh solar system designed, I'm still vacillating
on Batteries. Old school says Forklift batteries, but all the new
EV batteries are interesting. I missed installing the system in 2019
for taxes, but will finish it in 2020.
I'm wondering about buying old Tesla car batteries.
They should be virtually free.
I intend to be "off Grid" by the end of 2021.
So Hawaii "green" Democrats can go Eff themselves.
And Kuelana's(sp?)vision of a government also.
( I had to toss that in).