Field Dress Etiquette (Read 2820 times)

Q

Field Dress Etiquette
« on: May 19, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
After field dressing, what is the "proper" thing to do with the entrails?

My friends on the mainland always buried, but several "hunters" (more like poachers) ive spoken to recently say they just leave everything because "no maddah...da mongoose and pigs going eat em anyway". I personally don't think this is correct way to go about it, so advice from a more respectable crowd is appreciated.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Field Dress Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »

My friends on the mainland always buried, but several "hunters" (more like poachers) ive spoken to recently say they just leave everything because "no maddah...da mongoose and pigs going eat em anyway". I personally don't think this is correct way to go about it, so advice from a more respectable crowd is appreciated.

There's no guarantee they will be quickly eaten. They will breed insects and create a bad smell. Even if there's no one living close by, hikers and other hunters aren't going to want to deal with the flies and stench.

Burying makes the most sense.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

308gunner

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »

Check out all my hunting posts on this forum. This a frequent area I go weekly.  All entrails left in a certain area in the grass no more than 20 yards from the blind.  No stink, nothing left when I come back one week later.  The pigs eat everything!

bass monkey

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 07:59:41 PM »
Deer we just used to de bone and leave the carcass under a free
Pigs we hang it in the free so the dogs don't eat or roll in it
We leave everything for the ecosystem

Surf

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:28 PM »
In my primary area pigs take care quickly, back into the cycle of life.  Also in my parts you need to bury fairly deep or it gets dug up and a big hole left.