Moly rounds (Read 2255 times)

keoni008

Moly rounds
« on: January 13, 2012, 11:54:45 PM »
Does anyone shoot Moly rounds, whats the pros and cons of moly?

Cougar8045

Re: Moly rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:32:27 AM »
Does anyone shoot Moly rounds, whats the pros and cons of moly?
The old man used to moly coat his bullets, I think the pro is reduced fouling if you're shooting high velocity rounds, and the con is that it's a mess and kind of a pain in the butt.  I'll ask him tomorrow.
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

Heavies

Re: Moly rounds
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
Heard and read that moly builds up in side the barrel and can cause pressure issues if not cleaned out properly. Also, it takes many rounds to recoat the barrel and have it settle down to group again. Moly soaks up moisture in the atmosphere and can cause barrel corrosion if left in the barrel after shooting sessions.

All these issues caused me to go with HBN (Hexaganal Boron Nitride)
Supposedly all the benigits of Moly, with none of the drawbacks. I used it all last year in my 6mmbr. I found reduced fouling over long strings and easier cleaning when done.   I could increase powder charge by .3 grains to achieve similar velocity as naked.

However, the hassle of coating has made me switch back to shooting naked bullets. The advantages did not outweigh the time it took to coat the bullets.

If you are not shooting competition, with long strings of fire between cleaning, I wouldn't bother.

Do some research on HBN if you want to use friction reducing coatings.

My $.02. I imagine in this economy it's more like $.005 now.