Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 82562 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #360 on: April 17, 2022, 09:45:00 AM »
FML, i just saw a YT of lighter plates. Currenlty, my total for rear and front plates are about 16.4lbs. Then add in both sides total at 6lbs. Total 22.4lbs. Lvl4

Duritium plates (warrior poet endorsed). Front and rear total would be about 5.4lbs and total sides 1.8lbs. Total 7.2lbs. Lvl3+. Add 1lb for 3+ that can stop green tips.

Im on the fence of giving up lvl4s, but FBI stats from 2020 and prior show no LE encounter was with greens or like ammo nation wide. Even 308 are rare in the past 10 years prior to 2020. 2018 FBI stats, roughly (memory) 33 cops killed by handguns, 8 by rifles, 6 by shotguns, 5 undetermined. And these are the guys who interact daily with people with guns. (I didnt look up current stats)

But the question is what do u need them for? Ive seen a handful of times guys using greens at the range. Accidents do happen, so i would like at least protection from greens. AP 308 not needed, most likely, never seen those at the range. Personal xp, ive been flagged 2x buy guys gf's.

Ive always debated about lighter plates.

Est cost. $1400, but they have a 15 year warranty (expiration). So if u divide by the standard repacement of every 5 years or so, its worth the cost. XP plates are like milk. They can go past the XP date for a little and be fine.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

« Reply #361 on: April 18, 2022, 09:22:23 AM »
FML, I ordered my new plates with the above.

drck1000

« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »
FML, i just saw a YT of lighter plates. Currenlty, my total for rear and front plates are about 16.4lbs. Then add in both sides total at 6lbs. Total 22.4lbs. Lvl4

Duritium plates (warrior poet endorsed). Front and rear total would be about 5.4lbs and total sides 1.8lbs. Total 7.2lbs. Lvl3+. Add 1lb for 3+ that can stop green tips.

Im on the fence of giving up lvl4s, but FBI stats from 2020 and prior show no LE encounter was with greens or like ammo nation wide. Even 308 are rare in the past 10 years prior to 2020. 2018 FBI stats, roughly (memory) 33 cops killed by handguns, 8 by rifles, 6 by shotguns, 5 undetermined. And these are the guys who interact daily with people with guns. (I didnt look up current stats)

But the question is what do u need them for? Ive seen a handful of times guys using greens at the range. Accidents do happen, so i would like at least protection from greens. AP 308 not needed, most likely, never seen those at the range. Personal xp, ive been flagged 2x buy guys gf's.

Ive always debated about lighter plates.

Est cost. $1400, but they have a 15 year warranty (expiration). So if u divide by the standard repacement of every 5 years or so, its worth the cost. XP plates are like milk. They can go past the XP date for a little and be fine.

5.4 lbs total for front and rear is LIGHT!  I wish I was ballah like you and could afford. . .  8)

You're going to keep your "old" plates though, right?  As for what to expect, if someone is shooting M2 AP at me, the $hit really has hit the fan.  Same for even 193/855. 

The "flagged" by range folks is certainly  :o and understandable.  A rifle round strike is certainly a bad day.  That said, I am usually more wary of newer pistol shooters. 

FML, I ordered my new plates with the above.
Awesome!   :geekdanc:

Wait, did you order a set for Mrs. CMO?   

changemyoil66

« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2022, 10:06:34 AM »
5.4 lbs total for front and rear is LIGHT!  I wish I was ballah like you and could afford. . .  8)

You're going to keep your "old" plates though, right?  As for what to expect, if someone is shooting M2 AP at me, the $hit really has hit the fan.  Same for even 193/855. 

The "flagged" by range folks is certainly  :o and understandable.  A rifle round strike is certainly a bad day.  That said, I am usually more wary of newer pistol shooters. 
Awesome!   :geekdanc:

Wait, did you order a set for Mrs. CMO?

I didn't ask her if she wants them yet. I'm sure if they made a purple plate carrier, she would. But then she would bitch about how I have the light ones and she has the heavier ones. So I would have to order a 2nd set.  I will ask her if she does want them, if not, I plan on selling them to a friend.

I do have the current plate carrier that still works, but is getting worn out (velcro). Which means she wouldn't need to buy one because I don't see her wearing it for range days, just SHTF. That's if the purple one is not invented.

1 huge reason why i'm going lighter is because I got to sample my friends one which is also light weight.  It's like never using First Class on a plane for years, then you XP it once and jacks up Coach forever.  And range days are on the weekends, where my body is all sore from working out the days prior. Especially deadlifts, which is Thursdays and  the lower back is sore until Monday.

The only thing I was on the fence was the greens, but of the 5 guys I've seen using greens in the past 6 years, I know 3 of them.  Then add in that Warrior Poet uses the ones I purchased because he isn't as concerned with greens.

These should be good for 15+ years. And I probably would do periodic Xrays, just to confirm no cracks.

drck1000

« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »
I didn't ask her if she wants them yet. I'm sure if they made a purple plate carrier, she would. But then she would bitch about how I have the light ones and she has the heavier ones. So I would have to order a 2nd set.  I will ask her if she does want them, if not, I plan on selling them to a friend.

I do have the current plate carrier that still works, but is getting worn out (velcro). Which means she wouldn't need to buy one because I don't see her wearing it for range days, just SHTF. That's if the purple one is not invented.

1 huge reason why i'm going lighter is because I got to sample my friends one which is also light weight.  It's like never using First Class on a plane for years, then you XP it once and jacks up Coach forever.  And range days are on the weekends, where my body is all sore from working out the days prior. Especially deadlifts, which is Thursdays and  the lower back is sore until Monday.

The only thing I was on the fence was the greens, but of the 5 guys I've seen using greens in the past 6 years, I know 3 of them.  Then add in that Warrior Poet uses the ones I purchased because he isn't as concerned with greens.

These should be good for 15+ years. And I probably would do periodic Xrays, just to confirm no cracks.
You going sell?  I will likely pickup a set of lighter plates as well soon.  I'm planning on shooting the plate set that it replaces.   ;D

I hear you on lighter.  I tried a buddy's that was less than 1/2 mine and it was quite eye opening.  That said, as long as the PC is fit well, I don't notice it after a while.  I noticed at the end of the day when it comes off for sure though. 

You seem to be latching on to WP's feedback lately.  This one and the "improved Glock".  I do enjoy many of his videos.  Everyone has their biases, and I'll leave it at that. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2022, 10:42:13 AM »

You seem to be latching on to WP's feedback lately.  This one and the "improved Glock".  I do enjoy many of his videos.  Everyone has their biases, and I'll leave it at that.

I enjoy his vids.  I do have his warbelt, but to be fair, I was looking at it prior to seeing his endorsement.  And same goes for the Blue Force rifle sling.  I didn't get the plate carrier that he uses (HRT), because of the reasons I posted above, it doesn't fit my needs.  I also like my G-code drop leg RTI even though he uses another brand.

The reason why I like his Shaddow is because it has the RDS that I was also looking at anyways. And to buy as a package is easier for me because attaching a RDS on a pistol might be just above my pay grade. So "G2G" out of the box.

And I do wrap my sling for storage the way he showed how he does it. Wrapped around the buttstock and looped into the pistol grip. But that's cause I'm too pake to buy a strap or something that would attach it to the handguard.

So I could be looked at as a WP whore I guess. The wife also got me a WP shirt.

drck1000

« Reply #366 on: April 18, 2022, 11:00:23 AM »
I enjoy his vids.  I do have his warbelt, but to be fair, I was looking at it prior to seeing his endorsement.  And same goes for the Blue Force rifle sling.  I didn't get the plate carrier that he uses (HRT), because of the reasons I posted above, it doesn't fit my needs.  I also like my G-code drop leg RTI even though he uses another brand.

The reason why I like his Shaddow is because it has the RDS that I was also looking at anyways. And to buy as a package is easier for me because attaching a RDS on a pistol might be just above my pay grade. So "G2G" out of the box.

And I do wrap my sling for storage the way he showed how he does it. Wrapped around the buttstock and looped into the pistol grip. But that's cause I'm too pake to buy a strap or something that would attach it to the handguard.

So I could be looked at as a WP whore I guess. The wife also got me a WP shirt.
And there's nothing wrong with that.  I do think that a good consideration is that the person's context and style does "ring true" to you. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #367 on: April 18, 2022, 11:40:03 AM »
And there's nothing wrong with that.  I do think that a good consideration is that the person's context and style does "ring true" to you.

I learn from WP, MSP, Thunder Ranch, Knockout Lights.  Haven't learned anything from Garand Thumb or TRex yet, but I do get entertainment from their vids. Garand does have a M45A1 video though.

Due to our limited instructor pool, online is the only option.  As in can't just drive to a class, we have to spend thousands to fly and hotel.  But YT is limited because the pro's don't give away all their secrets for free.

changemyoil66

« Reply #368 on: April 18, 2022, 06:01:44 PM »
Yeah, mrs. Cmo wants the light ones too. Thats if she is to wear them.

drck1000

« Reply #369 on: April 18, 2022, 06:05:58 PM »
Yeah, mrs. Cmo wants the light ones too. Thats if she is to wear them.

Have seen quite a number of purple PCs :hmm:

changemyoil66

« Reply #370 on: April 22, 2022, 06:21:49 PM »
New carrier came in. Comparing the new and old, i can tell how worn out the old one is.

Side plate holder sucks. I need to order molle clips. The attaching mechanisim it comes with is a strap that i dont have confidence in.

Plates arrive next week.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 08:29:27 PM by changemyoil66 »

GlockNewb

« Reply #371 on: April 23, 2022, 11:51:44 AM »
James Yeager returned from Ukraine and did a debrief via podcast. At 1:23:06, they begin the actually experience of training civilians, lots of great lessons.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 12:23:25 PM by GlockNewb »
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

changemyoil66

« Reply #372 on: April 25, 2022, 09:01:21 AM »
Did the HDF pistol skill builder with the new carrier (not new plates) and there was a difference.  The last 2 skill builders I've done with my old carrier (black above), I've had blisters on my traps.  THis is probably due to the shoulder area wearing.  This one, no blisters.

I didn't run my side plates (3lbs each) due to the attaching point not sufficient (I ordered malice clips).  So with that 6lbs reductions, I did notice a huge difference, even though I only wear them once a month.  Think of it like the on deck batter using a donut.  Then removing that extra weight and having faster bat speed.  So I was running 16lbs worth of plates.  So I can't wait to drop that to about 7.4lbs for front/rear/sides.

A friend of mine brought up a good point during our dry fire section.  I would just move the slide enough to reset the trigger for the next draw practice. He mentioned that it may create bad muscle memory.  Which makes sense. So instead of doing a short stroke, I would rack the entire slide like how I normally would for a tap/rack type of situation.

We did more moving while shooting and I did OK.  Pretty much gotta catch the irons lining up with the target due to the bounce and caffeine running thru the veins.

Mrs. CMO still has improved greatly from her flinching. Normally at 30 yards, she would be hitting the dirt half way down.  But she hasn't done this in months.

changemyoil66

« Reply #373 on: April 26, 2022, 09:13:54 PM »
Cant wait to run these bad boys at the next skill builder. Already tried them on and daaayyymmmnnnn. So 22lbs will be reduced to 7lbs. My carrier stuffed with mags weights more.

Shot Stop Duritium PA plates lvl3+.

Front 2.7lbs
Rear 2.9lbs
Sides 0.9lbs each

drck1000

« Reply #374 on: May 09, 2022, 09:05:44 AM »

We did more moving while shooting and I did OK.  Pretty much gotta catch the irons lining up with the target due to the bounce and caffeine running thru the veins.

Mrs. CMO still has improved greatly from her flinching. Normally at 30 yards, she would be hitting the dirt half way down.  But she hasn't done this in months.
The "bounce" between your steps?  Not the irons or RDS coming back to target?  Sometimes you just gotta "strut". . .  ;D

30 yards in the dirt?   ??? Bruh. . . I gotta dig out my Kevlar shin guards from back when I used to play soccer. . .  O0

changemyoil66

« Reply #375 on: May 09, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »

30 yards in the dirt?   ??? Bruh. . . I gotta dig out my Kevlar shin guards from back when I used to play soccer. . .  O0

Yup, so 15 yards in the dirt for a 30 yard target. Now it's left to right she needs to work on.

drck1000

« Reply #376 on: May 09, 2022, 09:41:41 AM »
Yup, so 15 yards in the dirt for a 30 yard target. Now it's left to right she needs to work on.
Low and left?  Sounds eerily familiar. . .

drck1000

« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2022, 07:58:38 AM »
Shot some pistol this past weekend.  It's been a while since I have shot any pistols since I've been focusing on bolt guns and carbine.  I should be shooting/practicing pistol way more often.

Shot one of my Gucci Glock 19s with RDS.  Shot two mags of GDs to rotate the ammo, and a box of FMJ.  The rust showed for sure, but quickly back in the saddle. 

Only thing of note is that at least one, maybe two, of the Magpul GL9 mags got jammed up.  The follower got stuck way down in the mag and the rounds were loose in the mag.  Strange.  Never seen that before or read about it.  I've shot many thousands of rounds with these Magpul mags and my Gucci Glock by now.  Never had something like that with any my my Glock 17 or 19 OEM mags. 

Get home, did a Google search and apparently seems quite common.  Recommendation is to clean the mag body and spring.  Took apart the mags and while the inside of the mag body was dirty/dusty, what I think is the issue is that the follower spring on a couple of the mags were gunked up or at least had a rough coating on them.  I've shot these mags in a variety of conditions, but not like where they were thrown around in the mud all day.  Well, maybe a couple of those, but figured I did an ok job of cleaning them.  Cleaned the mag body with degreaser and then some Ballistol (recommendation was CLP).  I also cleaned the springs with similar and the springs looked like new again afterwards.  I think maybe what was gunking it up was this cleaner that I would spray on the follower every so often to clean the carbon build up.  I don't think it's needed, but figured good to clean up the follower here and there. 

Will have to keep an eye on those mags in the future.  In the meantime, will likely shoot more with OEM mags. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2022, 10:14:11 AM »
Took an HRA rifle skill builder this weekend.

Wore the new light plates and they're a rock star. Def can feel the difference in reduction of weight (22lbs down to 7lbs).  The biggest ease is the donning and doffing, and taking the plates from the car to point X. And they're thinner than my ceramics.

Something I've never done before is walking backward while shooting for a longer distance.  I like the dragging the front of your feet while walking back, instead of just stepping from rolling toe to heal.  I was in marching band, so toe to heal when walking backward is more ingrained (muscle memory).

Another thing learned from watching others is when doing stuff, even though we all want to be as fast as possible, it's important to still be in control. Don't push it too fast that accidents have a higher % of happening. This is why  I go at a comfortable quick speed. Not as fast as I can possible go.  Like when you gotta take a mean dump and u rush to take the belt and pants off, you often fumble.

We also did a drill where you have to pull a tire tied to a rope (row) and muzzle discipline is important. Some guys left their rifle slung in the front, others moved it to the side. I slung my rifle on my back (swim in and swim out). It wasn't the fastest to do because this placement takes the most time, but I wanted to try it out.  Now is the time to practice skills.

Overall had lots of fun. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #379 on: June 27, 2022, 08:36:30 AM »
Took a HDF combo skill builder this weekend.  I did notice that with the 1911, I am much more accurate, but when I flinch, it's way bigger than the VP9.  Like 6 inches low and 2 inches to the left.  But the grouping of my flinch is consistent, like jabone size.  And the flinch grouping is pretty consistent (6 inches low) whether it be at 4 yards or 15.  So this is pretty weird.  And again, had same hole during the course of the SB.

My RDS on my rifle came loose.  I didn't loctite it down, but it has been this way for the pat 6 years and only now it came loose.  So when I got home, I loctited.  Weird thing is I don't have to re-zero.  I know where my dot sits on my irons.  Which means I can line it up with out going to the range.  Because we were at 4 yards, I was still getting hits on target.  And I keep the star key in my butt stock, so after the exercise, I tightened her down and was g2g for the rest of the SB.

I posted this in the First 1911 thread, but I had 1 jam. It was the 3rd bullet of the day. I loaded the mag and had a failure to feed.  This was during a "load to make ready" part.  So not under stress or time. So 653 rounds later, and got my first FMJ jam.  I don't remember when I got my first VP9 jam or P10C jam.  No issues the rest of the SB and this is the first SB running the 1911.

Now I will see how long I can go without cleaning the 1911, just oiling.  I think the longest I've gone without cleaning the VP9 was like 400rds later.  It was bothering me too much to keep going.  But with the 1911 being more humbug to clean, I think I may be able to surpass this.  So right now we're at 100rds.

Had a few guys who liked my lighter plates.  I wonder how many now are gonna upgrade.  I know at least 1 guy who is.  So me letting them feel how light they are is like never flying on first class. Then you try it once and it screws you the rest of your life. Cause now you know what you're missing out on.