1984/Brave New World/Nationalsozialismus is Here, Now... Amazon Bans Book (Read 2252 times)

punaperson

Read the article for more details... also banned by Barnes and Noble, which means it has virtually no chance of being sold or distributed widely.

Amazon Bans Tommy Robinson’s Book, ‘Mohammed’s Koran’

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-security/amazon-bans-tommy-robinsons-book-mohammeds-koran/

On January 7 of this year, I published an article at PJ Media about Amazon removing doormats featuring Qur’an verses from sale because the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) found them offensive. In that article, I asked:

How long will it be before Hamas-linked CAIR starts demanding that books that criticize jihad terror and Sharia oppression of women, gays, and others also be dropped by Amazon?
The answer turned out to be 51 days.

It’s the British government and the BBC, rather than CAIR, that are likely behind this, but Amazon has just dropped the book Mohammed’s Koran by the renowned British activist Tommy Robinson and Peter McLoughlin -- and apparently only because its censors dislike Robinson. In the last two weeks, Robinson spectacularly embarrassed the BBC by exposing the bias and dishonesty of its reporter John Sweeney. The retaliation has been swift and severe: Robinson has been banned from YouTube and Facebook, and now his book has been withdrawn from sale.

Coauthor Peter McLoughlin states:

[T]his is the twenty-first century equivalent of the Nazis taking out the books from university libraries and burning them. Can you think of another scholarly book on Islam that has been banned by Amazon? Mein Kampf is for sale on Amazon. As are books like the terrorist manual called The Anarchist Cookbook.

eyeeatingfish

I am a little rusty on my 1984 knowledge but I don't see how a private company controlling what book it sells is akin to the government control in 1984.

punaperson

I am a little rusty on my 1984 knowledge but I don't see how a private company controlling what book it sells is akin to the government control in 1984.
"A little rusty"? That's quite the euphemism.

Are you "a little rusty" on Brave New World and Nationalsozialismus too?

The government doesn't sell books. No one can buy the book from the government.

The private corporations are the only ones that manufacture and provide the books in various formats for purchase. If certain corporations control 95% of the market and they refuse to provide the book for purchase... get it? One of the people quoted in the article suggests that the corporate policy of banning the book was instigated at the behest of the government. Will the government admit publicly that they used the immense leverage they have over corporations to have them de facto ban the book? Not likely.

Why do I bother? SMH.

Q

They are a private company; they can sell or not sell whatever they want.

groveler

Mohammed’s Koran

Try Ebay, about $100.
Most other sources are sold out.
Probably due to all the free advertising
Amazon and Barnes and Noble gave the book.
A British book.  So you're paying for
international goods.

Most every store in America "bans" something due to their
management's prejudices.  Kind of like Hawaii gun laws,
The world is a big place, work
around it.

eyeeatingfish

"A little rusty"? That's quite the euphemism.

Are you "a little rusty" on Brave New World and Nationalsozialismus too?

The government doesn't sell books. No one can buy the book from the government.

The private corporations are the only ones that manufacture and provide the books in various formats for purchase. If certain corporations control 95% of the market and they refuse to provide the book for purchase... get it? One of the people quoted in the article suggests that the corporate policy of banning the book was instigated at the behest of the government. Will the government admit publicly that they used the immense leverage they have over corporations to have them de facto ban the book? Not likely.

Why do I bother? SMH.

I read 1984 and Brave New World in high school. I haven't heard of Nationalsozialismus.

So what should be done, the government step in and tell Amazon they must sell certain types of books? Sounds like a liberal progressive idea....

Businesses are free to choose what they want to sell and there isn't much we can do about it. The remedy is the free market. If people want a particular book that Amazon refuses to sell some enterprising business will see that market and cater to it. 1984 was about complete government control, Amazon limiting what books they sell isn't that. Don't like it? Buy from a competitor.

Flapp_Jackson

I read 1984 and Brave New World in high school. I haven't heard of Nationalsozialismus.

So what should be done, the government step in and tell Amazon they must sell certain types of books? Sounds like a liberal progressive idea....

Businesses are free to choose what they want to sell and there isn't much we can do about it. The remedy is the free market. If people want a particular book that Amazon refuses to sell some enterprising business will see that market and cater to it. 1984 was about complete government control, Amazon limiting what books they sell isn't that. Don't like it? Buy from a competitor.

We aren't talking about a little book store in downtown Berkley. Amazon is "THE" book seller, in print, electronically and audible. If they start picking and choosing which books are good and which are bad, good luck finding anyone else who sells what you want.

Amazon started out in a garage selling books at discount prices vs the MSRP unlike all major book stores. They began by offering hard-to-find books, mostly technical, that were either not carried or were 2+ editions old in Barnes & Noble and Walden Books.

Ironically, they now have the power to keep books they don't like from reaching the market easily and competitively.  Since Google, PayPal, eBay and many other giant tech companies are also Liberal-leaning, the chance of never finding a controversial  book is pretty good.

What can we do?  At this stage, the only real recourse is copy the Left and gin up a rage mob supporting the book that the other rage mob got them to ban.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

We aren't talking about a little book store in downtown Berkley. Amazon is "THE" book seller, in print, electronically and audible. If they start picking and choosing which books are good and which are bad, good luck finding anyone else who sells what you want.

Amazon started out in a garage selling books at discount prices vs the MSRP unlike all major book stores. They began by offering hard-to-find books, mostly technical, that were either not carried or were 2+ editions old in Barnes & Noble and Walden Books.

Ironically, they now have the power to keep books they don't like from reaching the market easily and competitively.  Since Google, PayPal, eBay and many other giant tech companies are also Liberal-leaning, the chance of never finding a controversial  book is pretty good.

What can we do?  At this stage, the only real recourse is copy the Left and gin up a rage mob supporting the book that the other rage mob got them to ban.

I would just take my business elsewhere. I have nothing wrong with people complaining about Amazon of course, I just flatly reject any notion that we should regulate what books Amazon sells or doesn't sell.

Plus with the advent of E-Books an author can bypass the publisher and the retailer anyway.