Did some troubleshooting on my 6.5 setup this past weekend. Had some difficulties when I shot the new 6.5 setup the weekend prior. I boresighted the scope (new scope and mount) and first shot was about 4" high and just slightly off to the left. I dialed down a little, expecting the next mark to be pretty close in elevation, but slightly off on windage. Nothing. Shot a few more and a nice (2) shot group appeared, but on a lower target and well below where it should be hitting. Next few rounds off the paper. Rechecked boresight and should have been right on.
Luckily a fellow shooter and 2a member was on the bench next to me and noted seeing splash in the dirt well ahead of the target, probably about 3 feet low. Spend the next 5-6 rounds shooting into the berm and noted adjusted the POI close to being back on paper, but noticed the scope was dialied well high. Decided to call it quits for the day.
Did some troubleshooting with the gun builder. Suspected scope issue, either scope itself or mount. So this week, I moved the scope to a different gun and the scope was fine.
Something else weird on the gun was that with the Hellfire brake, the collar wouldn't budge. Used a strap wrench and an adjustable plier/wench with leather to grip and collar didn't budge. Consulted Area 419 and they recommended tapping the brake with a rubber mallet. I did that and the brake body ended up being able to be moved/twisted, but the collar still wouldn't budge.
Looking at the brake, there were a few tiny spots of exposed metal (silver) through the nitride on the top of the brake. So suspect the brake alignment and slight baffle strike causing the low bullet impacts. I would take off the brake and reinstall, but the collar is stuck. Don't come loose or tighten down.
The barreled action will be going back to the builder later this week. Am sure the gun builder will make things right, just very strange.
I suspect the brake worked loose in shipping and alignment got off during shipping. Before shooting, I was able to loosen the collar and hand tightened down, but I didn't fully remove and put the brake body back on before shooting. I am guessing the baffle strike was enough to somehow tweak/move the collar.
Sucks a bit because I finally have all the 6.5 components in and am ready to do. But still have plenty to occupy my time with the .308 as well as the CZ 457.
On a positive note, testing the scope on the .308 was good practice and got some darn good grouping. Very excited about what I can get out of the .308 build.