Bolt Action Rifle Update - Sharing Experience (Read 6984 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Bolt Action Rifle Update - Sharing Experience
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2022, 05:52:39 PM »
Shes alive. Gonna baseline zero with cci-sv.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Ocean19

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2022, 10:13:31 PM »
Range day. Rezero after removing scope and change trigger. RTZ seemed about spot on.

Loaded up some with Varget and 8208. Same load range from the Rem 700. About 100-150 for faster with this barrel (26” as opposed to 20”).  Mostly shooting for data and comparison, as well as monitoring velocity for barrel speeding up. Seems like the velocity speed up leveled off. Total of 100 rounds.

Varget
41.0-43.0
175 gr SMK
2.1440 CBTO

This would be a good target for the 1MOA all day post.

drck1000

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2022, 08:20:18 AM »
This would be a good target for the 1MOA all day post.
Thanks.  After I get a load worked up, I will "shoot for score". 

Besides the first target, the groups were in the 0.523 - 0.772 range.  I was actually expecting better based on the results I had with the FGMM, but these were random tests primiarily for watching barrel speeds. 

esk808

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2022, 02:44:50 PM »
Highlights from range day:

First (3) shot group as I was fine tuning zero. This was within the first 20 shots of the rifle and was very happy to see this. I had stacked a couple of rounds as I was going from bore sight to zero.

Hey drck,

I got this Ballistic-X software for my cellphone.  How easy to use?

I'm old-style, so I was using these clipons on a caliper to measure groups..................

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-accessories/targets-amp-accessories/group-measuring-device/sinclair-group-measuring-caliper-attachment-prod38778.aspx

drck1000

« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »
Hey drck,

I got this Ballistic-X software for my cellphone.  How easy to use?

I'm old-style, so I was using these clipons on a caliper to measure groups..................

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-accessories/targets-amp-accessories/group-measuring-device/sinclair-group-measuring-caliper-attachment-prod38778.aspx
Super easy to use. Just need a 1” reference on the target. I haven’t used it for .22 lr yet, but have seen many that do.

macsak

« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2022, 05:08:21 PM »
Super easy to use. Just need a 1” reference on the target. I haven’t used it for .22 lr yet, but have seen many that do.

good thing you have a 1" reference on you at all times...

drck1000

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2022, 08:41:51 AM »
Did some troubleshooting on my 6.5 setup this past weekend.  Had some difficulties when I shot the new 6.5 setup the weekend prior.  I boresighted the scope (new scope and mount) and first shot was about 4" high and just slightly off to the left.  I dialed down a little, expecting the next mark to be pretty close in elevation, but slightly off on windage.  Nothing.  Shot a few more and a nice (2) shot group appeared, but on a lower target and well below where it should be hitting.  Next few rounds off the paper.  Rechecked boresight and should have been right on. 

Luckily a fellow shooter and 2a member was on the bench next to me and noted seeing splash in the dirt well ahead of the target, probably about 3 feet low.  Spend the next 5-6 rounds shooting into the berm and noted adjusted the POI close to being back on paper, but noticed the scope was dialied well high.  Decided to call it quits for the day.

Did some troubleshooting with the gun builder.  Suspected scope issue, either scope itself or mount.  So this week, I moved the scope to a different gun and the scope was fine. 

Something else weird on the gun was that with the Hellfire brake, the collar wouldn't budge.  Used a strap wrench and an adjustable plier/wench with leather to grip and collar didn't budge.  Consulted Area 419 and they recommended tapping the brake with a rubber mallet.  I did that and the brake body ended up being able to be moved/twisted, but the collar still wouldn't budge. 

Looking at the brake, there were a few tiny spots of exposed metal (silver) through the nitride on the top of the brake.  So suspect the brake alignment and slight baffle strike causing the low bullet impacts.  I would take off the brake and reinstall, but the collar is stuck.  Don't come loose or tighten down. 

The barreled action will be going back to the builder later this week.  Am sure the gun builder will make things right, just very strange.

I suspect the brake worked loose in shipping and alignment got off during shipping.  Before shooting, I was able to loosen the collar and hand tightened down, but I didn't fully remove and put the brake body back on before shooting.  I am guessing the baffle strike was enough to somehow tweak/move the collar. 

Sucks a bit because I finally have all the 6.5 components in and am ready to do.  But still have plenty to occupy my time with the .308 as well as the CZ 457.

On a positive note, testing the scope on the .308 was good practice and got some darn good grouping.  Very excited about what I can get out of the .308 build. 

drck1000

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2022, 11:37:30 AM »
From troubleshooting with the scope from the 6.5 on the .308. Really impressed by this .308 build so far.

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2022, 12:37:12 PM »
Update on the 6.5 CM build.  Sent it back to the builder to get checked out.  The found that the brake collar was cross threaded and they replaced the collar from the Area 419 Hellfire.  So I am guessing that somewhere along the line the brake body got out of alignment and ended up cross threading the collar.  The brake body ended up being out of alignment, and I assume it ended up that way from baffle strikes. 

Bottom line is that they builder tested the rifle and it shot well after replacing the brake collar.  So I am pretty confident of the baffle strike theory.

Send the gun back Friday afternoon via UPS.  They received the gun this morning.  They worked on the gun, did troubleshoot, and gun is on the way back my way.  So full turn around in probably less than a week.

drck1000

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2022, 09:47:23 PM »
Tested the 6.5 after getting the gun back from the builder. Total turn around time from leaving my possession to back in hand less than a week.

Quickly got the gun zero’ed and shot a mix of factory match ammo and handloads. It was pretty windy at times, but didn’t mind. After zeroing, mostly watching the velocity as the barrel speeds up. Will likely shoot another 50 to fire fork and continue barrel velocity monitoring.

Overall, fun shot well.

This batch of 140 gr ELD-Match and H4350. I didn’t think the groups overall were that impressive upon first glance, but range was a little over 0.3 MOA to around 0.80 MOA. I was struggling a bit on some strings with my rear bag. Overall very happy with both the 6.5 and 0.308. Will shoot about 50 more 6.5 to practice and fire form brass. Then start the load work up. 

Ocean19

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2022, 09:00:42 PM »
Good to hear the rifle is up and running

drck1000

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2022, 01:57:56 PM »
Good to hear the rifle is up and running
;D
Thanks! Good to know that it really was (parts of) the gun, and not me.  ;D

drck1000

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2022, 08:18:13 AM »
Will be trying out an EC tuner brake for 6.5 cm.  It will be about a month out, but already looking forward to it.   8)

drck1000

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2022, 04:25:25 PM »
Did more fire forming and practice with the .308. Last round before starting the load development.

RL15 with Berger 175 gr OTM. First time shooting RL15. Velocity was slower compared to the “manual loads”, particularly with the velocities I am seeing with Varget. Not good or bad, just observation.

0.31 - 0.62 MOA

drck1000

« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2022, 04:29:35 PM »
Varget with Berger 175 gr OTM.

0.26 - 0.85 MOA

Without the first group, rest were less than 0.5 MOA. Don’t recall anything off on the first group, but settled down nicely after that.

Ocean19

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2022, 07:41:18 PM »
What kind of FPS you getting with both loads?

drck1000

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2022, 09:49:16 PM »
What kind of FPS you getting with both loads?
RL15 41.0-43.0
2420-2570 fps
Well below book velocities. Likely will do ladder test higher.

Varget 41.0-43.0
2510-2660 fps
Slightly higher than book velocities with the 26” barrel. No pressure signs.

Ocean19

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2022, 01:28:03 AM »
RL15 41.0-43.0
2420-2570 fps
Well below book velocities. Likely will do ladder test higher.

Varget 41.0-43.0
2510-2660 fps
Slightly higher than book velocities with the 26” barrel. No pressure signs.
Ahhh for varget 41 grains I’m getting about 2580-2600 FPS using 168 out of a 24” clean barrel. I’m just fire forming the brass so more testing to come.

drck1000

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2022, 09:27:07 AM »
Ahhh for varget 41 grains I’m getting about 2580-2600 FPS using 168 out of a 24” clean barrel. I’m just fire forming the brass so more testing to come.
The velocities above are 175 gr and 26" barrel, so seems about right.  Somewhat clean barrel as I shot the Varget after (3) shots to verify zero since I took the scope off to test the 6.5.  Then (25) rounds of RL. 

The RTZ and cold bore shots with FGMM were pretty much spot on.  Maybe 0.1 mils left but that could have very well been the zero since most of my groups for the rest of the day were a touch left.  Winds were kicking at times, so didn't bother adjusting. 

Same with my .308.  This was the last batch to fireform.  Have (100) 1x fired brass, annealing and sizing next.  Plan is to get into a pattern of brass prep for .308 while loading and shooting with 6.5 cm, and vice versa.  Then throwing in some days to shoot/test .22 lr. 

Ocean19

« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2022, 12:46:27 PM »
How was Saturday’s test?