9mm vs. .45 ACP Debate Again (Read 859 times)

DocMercy

9mm vs. .45 ACP Debate Again
« on: February 13, 2022, 01:02:57 PM »

Garand Thumb releases another test using a mock-up dummy with models of anatomical parts. Don't watch if you're sensitive to gore. The test was close, but not enough to change most people's minds. If you favor .45 ACP, you're not going to change your mind. On the 9mm side, I feel the rule of 21 ft is one of the decision points that was alluded to at the end of the video, and this may be the reason you prefer a faster/lighter handgun.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/21-foot-rule-controversial-police-training-shootings/

The next stage in this very controversial topic/debate is interviewing criminals using this question: Which caliber will stop you in your tracks, based on the pain you experience?

changemyoil66

Re: 9mm vs. .45 ACP Debate Again
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 10:26:02 AM »
1 benefit to having HI's unconstitutional gun laws is that magazine cap helps this issue.

With only allowing 10rd mags, 1911 45ACP have reliable 10 rd mags. And anything more than that is not common to use.  Where I'm going is if someone buys a G19, they cannot have a 15rd mag, it has to be 10 rds.  Same would go if someone buys a double stack 45 like a HK. Max capacity would be 12rds, but due to our law, must be lowered to 10rds. 

If I were to get a 45 right now, a 9mm would still be my choice because I have the most time spent training with it.  Then once I get proficient with 45, my choice may change. This is 1 big reason why I have not bought another gun in 5 years. I want to get decent enough with what I got before I get another caliber.  I'm still no expert, but good enough to advance to another caliber IMO.

Many things to factor in besides the mag cap. Recoil control and accuracy would be my top 2.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 01:00:54 PM »
Just thinking out loud here ....

If a state mandates that all magazines are required to hold 10 rounds or less, and that's a much smaller number than the magazines used by the military,

does that firearm get reclassified as something other than a "weapon of war?"

The magazine is a critical part of the weapon, and mag capacity has been referred to as one of the reasons we won WWII.  More rounds without a reload than the enemy was cited as an advantage for our side.

I think the state is too stupid NOT to paint themselves into that proverbial corner.
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:20:55 PM »
My HD pistol is a full size 45acp with light/laser combo and iron sights.  i'm not worried about the size or weight of the gun bc I'm not going anywhere just home defense
my bugout pistol is a compact 9mm with light and red dot sight.  lighter to carry, ammo is lighter to bugout with.  more of a sidearm bc if I'm bugging out I'm also taking my AR
I have a few 45's but only one 9mm.  so that tells you what I prefer, just my personal choice
I think either one will do the job.  plus it's good to have options

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 02:01:49 PM »
I was reading about handgun calibers for bears and among the instances that were documented found one person had successfully used a 9mm to kill a bear. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and say when comparing something like a .45 and a .9mm that shot placement is far more important than bullet type.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 02:14:18 PM »
I was reading about handgun calibers for bears and among the instances that were documented found one person had successfully used a 9mm to kill a bear. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and say when comparing something like a .45 and a .9mm that shot placement is far more important than bullet type.

I just saw a vid last week on YT. It was 1 of those compilations of "you gotta see it to believe it" kind of vids. It was PD that killed a bear with a 9mm pistol.  And the PD responding were retards. The one that did the shooting decided it was a good idea to pull up next to the bear in his cruiser and open his window. Well the bear stood up and tried to grab at him via his open window. Then blaka blaka blaka and bear was down.

My DARE officer in elementary school was asked if he ever had to shoot his gun. His reply was only once at a cow that got hit by a car.  This guy was very safe, when ever he was on campus, he had no mag inserted into his 5906. Then our JPO HPD was more old school and  a sgt. He was running a revolver still.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »

Try aiming a pistol quickly & accurately and gently squeezing the trigger while a 600 lb Grizzly is charging you.  There are very few "kill switches," and they are extremely small.  "Shot placement?"  More like "lucky shot -- 1 in a million."

If you don't hit a kill switch, you need the impact to be devastating to whatever organs the force is near.  More displacement = more disruption and damage.   A .45 is going to cause more damage and be more likely to stop a bear than a 9mm in general based on the energy involved. 

The reason we haven't found more than one person who successfully stopped a bear with a 9mm is because they are still looking for the unsuccessful ones.  Only pieces and parts of a few have been found.   :shake:
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

stangzilla

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 04:15:30 PM »
I forget which hunting show I was watching, but they were in Alaska and the guide uses a 357 magnum with 180 grain hard cast lead ammo for bear defense
reason being, the guide says that 1 shot probably not going to stop the bear, even with a 44 or bigger handgun, so follow up shots are important. since bears can run fast you need something that can follow up quickly
hard cast lead for penetration. in case you hit it in the shoulder, you want the bullet to go through the bones and at least slow the bear down so you can shoot it again.
shot placement very important as with all defensive shots

ren

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:04:55 PM »
My DARE officer in elementary school was asked if he ever had to shoot his gun. His reply was only once at a cow that got hit by a car.  This guy was very safe, when ever he was on campus, he had no mag inserted into his 5906. Then our JPO HPD was more old school and  a sgt. He was running a revolver still.

Was the officer's name Charlie?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:36:18 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 08:55:19 PM »
I forget which hunting show I was watching, but they were in Alaska and the guide uses a 357 magnum with 180 grain hard cast lead ammo for bear defense
reason being, the guide says that 1 shot probably not going to stop the bear, even with a 44 or bigger handgun, so follow up shots are important. since bears can run fast you need something that can follow up quickly
hard cast lead for penetration. in case you hit it in the shoulder, you want the bullet to go through the bones and at least slow the bear down so you can shoot it again.
shot placement very important as with all defensive shots
Or be a boss and go aloha snackbar on the bear. S-vest.

AFT:why did u buy 10lbs of tannerite?
Hunter: s-vest for in case of bear attack

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 09:00:34 PM »
Just finished the vid. Last part is most important. Train, train, train.

I did notice the vp9 is snappier than a sig scorpion. Which affects follow up shots (signt back on target).

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 10:44:43 AM »

Exactly. Three rounds of 9mm center mass is going to matter more than one round of .45 in the shoulder.

changemyoil66

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 11:38:41 AM »
Exactly. Three rounds of 9mm center mass is going to matter more than one round of .45 in the shoulder.

We talking about a bear, cow or something else.

There was a docu about a pig butcher factory hanging the pigs from a forklift to kill them. Like hangman style. The animal rights group caught it on camera with a UC worker.  When in court the judge asked why they don't use an injection and the reply was it gets too expensive. Then the judge asked why they don't shoot the pig, the reply was a 9mm bounced off the pigs skull and hit the shooter once (execution style distance). So after that he stopped shooting the pigs. In the end, the factory lost the case and had to pay like $50K fine or something. No jailtime.

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 12:38:00 PM »

I did notice the vp9 is snappier than a sig scorpion. Which affects follow up shots (signt back on target).

"snappy" 9mm you say?   :o

#doyoueventrainbro

;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2022, 01:25:21 PM »
"snappy" 9mm you say?   :o

#doyoueventrainbro

;D

VP9 problems, HK snob problems.

drck1000