Elusive 2mm Hex Key Driver (Read 1985 times)

DocMercy

Elusive 2mm Hex Key Driver
« on: March 04, 2022, 01:09:10 PM »
Two weekends ago I was installing a Sig Romeo Zero red dot sight on a Sig P365XL for the wife. Thought I had all the needed tools, both digital and analog torque wrenches by Wheeler, and an entire set of gunsmithing tools for an AR-15's and pistols. Guess what? Wheeler does not provide a 2mm hex key. An allen key provided by Sig Sauer nearly stripped one of the screws securing the cover plate holding the rear factory iron sight. I had to make do with an SAE hex driver bit. Very bush league.

While shopping at Home Depot this weekend, I purchased a Husky 1/4" Metric Hex driver set, to back up two sets (one a Tekton) that I ordered this week from Amazon. I spoke to both Milwaukee and Ryobi reps at HD, and was shocked that they do not carry anything equivalent, with Dewalt being AWOL too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Drive-Metric-Hex-Bit-Socket-Set-8-Piece-H4DMMHEX8PC/311182586#overlay

I need to know where I can order pro gunsmith tools for maintaining or repairing weapons. How professional? Good enough to safely extract a bullet lodged in a barrel.

macsak

Re: Elusive 2mm Hex Key Driver
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:11:50 PM »
they probably have near your two homes on the mainland...

Two weekends ago I was installing a Sig Romeo Zero red dot sight on a Sig P365XL for the wife. Thought I had all the needed tools, both digital and analog torque wrenches by Wheeler, and an entire set of gunsmithing tools for an AR-15's and pistols. Guess what? Wheeler does not provide a 2mm hex key. An allen key provided by Sig Sauer nearly stripped one of the screws securing the cover plate holding the rear factory iron sight. I had to make do with an SAE hex driver bit. Very bush league.

While shopping at Home Depot this weekend, I purchased a Husky 1/4" Metric Hex driver set, to back up two sets (one a Tekton) that I ordered this week from Amazon. I spoke to both Milwaukee and Ryobi reps at HD, and was shocked that they do not carry anything equivalent, with Dewalt being AWOL too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Drive-Metric-Hex-Bit-Socket-Set-8-Piece-H4DMMHEX8PC/311182586#overlay

I need to know where I can order pro gunsmith tools for maintaining or repairing weapons. How professional? Good enough to safely extract a bullet lodged in a barrel.

macsak

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 01:12:41 PM »

a squib rod is not a professional tool
available on amazon, ebay, online sellers, etc.

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 01:28:09 PM »
Elusive eh? Lowes and HD have these in stock.

I also have a older set of both SAE and metric. Pretty common.

My Fit-it-Sticks see also came with a 2 mm bit….

They are reasonable available, if one looks in appropriate places.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 01:28:57 PM »
Brownells and Midway have lots of gunsmith tools. Though many tools needed are regular household tools.

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 01:33:04 PM »
a squib rod is not a professional tool
available on amazon, ebay, online sellers, etc.

Don't you just stick a rod down the barrel and pound with hammer? 

DocMercy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 01:37:50 PM »
Hex driver bit was necessary for the torque wrench, with a specification of 9.8 lb-in. Sig Romeo Z must be removed every time you need to change the lithium battery. Not the best choice as a red dot sight.

I have not purchased a home in Nevada, yet. Need to look at of lot of houses first. Most of you know how finicky a wife can be when buying a second or third home. Dog needs his space, she needs her sewing room, I need a tool shop for Festool, it goes on and on.

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 01:47:55 PM »
Hex driver bit was necessary for the torque wrench, with a specification of 9.8 lb-in. Sig Romeo Z must be removed every time you need to change the lithium battery. Not the best choice as a red dot sight.

I have not purchased a home in Nevada, yet. Need to look at of lot of houses first. Most of you know how finicky a wife can be when buying a second or third home. Dog needs his space, she needs her sewing room, I need a tool shop for Festool, it goes on and on.

This is 1 issue that was big for me when I was looking at RDS. I do not have the time to go to the range to re-zero. I mean I do have the time, but it's more humbug than anything else.  I've had optics that state 50,000 battery life (3 years) and they die within 6 months.  This is with a freshly opened battery from CVS.  I do not test batteries b4 I install them.  So I was looking at Holosun RDs cause they remain zero'd and now EOTech's RDS is also no need to remove the optic to change the battery. But at Shot Show, ETA is about 2nd quarter.  Unknown price also.  But it does look way more tacticool compared to the Holosun 1.

IMO having to remove the optic is a huge design flaw.

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 02:01:47 PM »
SNIP

IMO having to remove the optic is a huge design flaw.
Agree that it's a headache. The Trijicon RMRs have to remove the optic to replace the battery.  That said, there are some "design considerations" that went into that configuration. . .

DocMercy

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
I have a question for those who have installed red dot sights on their handguns. Which is the best one for your CCW gun (out of state), and what would you use in the state of HI once ccw is allowed by law?
My in-home (non-ccw) gun is still equipped with iron sights, due partially to not settling on an RDS and holster configuration. When I graduate to the outdoor ccw setup, many questions remain (like weapon choice and concealment).

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 01:11:10 PM »
I have a question for those who have installed red dot sights on their handguns. Which is the best one for your CCW gun (out of state), and what would you use in the state of HI once ccw is allowed by law?
My in-home (non-ccw) gun is still equipped with iron sights, due partially to not settling on an RDS and holster configuration. When I graduate to the outdoor ccw setup, many questions remain (like weapon choice and concealment).
I think theres a RDS thread.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 02:27:42 PM »
Did you try heating the screws before attempting to remove them?

Most manufacturers use a thread locking material on small screws to keep them from working their way out.  A little heat before trying to turn them will normally keep you from stripping the #heads.

Blue Locktite can usually be removed without much heat if any at all, but heat may make it much easier to get started.  Red definitely requires heat.

As for tightening, if the screw is actually stripped to any degree, it's best to replace it -- or face the same stripped screw (probably in worse shape than before) when it needs removing again.

As with most things needing repair, if you have to use too much force to get something to move, you're probably doing it wrong.  Before you strip a screw head, break a part, or strip the threads in a piece of plastic or soft metal, make sure you know what you're doing first. 

Some things require that you destroy a small part to remove it, so make sure you have the replacement part handy before you start.  Springs are especially annoying, as they can slip through your fingers and fly into another dimension, never to be seen again until you vacuum the next room.

Amazon has a TON of bit and key sets that include the "elusive" 2mm size.  I'd say if a 2mm hex screw is stripping, your 2mm hex bit is plenty strong.  If the bit is being damaged by an aluminum or tiny, thin steel screw head, you're probably not going to get much better results with a more durable bit.  That bit will likely strip the screw slot.

Too much force =  more time and money invested to remove the part and replace it.  Take the time to see if heat helps.  If you can get any WD40 type of liquid inside where the screw is, it's worth trying to break the part free if there's corrosion or just too tight.

If the screw is too stripped to remove with the prescribed tool, you'll need to drill it out or use another removal method.  Simplest way is to use a Dremel with a cutting wheel.  Cut a slot across the stuck screw to fit a small flathead screwdriver tip/bit.  This works best for screws where the head is above the surface of the workpiece.  Try not to let the Dremel cut into the material around the screw.  This is the fastest way I've found to remove most screws with stripped heads.  I always apply heat, too.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 03:20:22 PM »
I think theres a RDS thread.

Better to ask you  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 09:47:33 PM »
Better to ask you  ;D
I might have started the thread.

drck1000

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 09:52:12 PM »
I might have started the thread.

You mean like this one. Which has lots of great info.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=33342.0

jaynick

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2022, 05:24:12 PM »
Wiha bits/drivers or bondhus for individual L keys and folding key sets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2022, 07:39:47 PM »
You mean like this one. Which has lots of great info.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=33342.0
Oh yeah, that one. I hijacked it toward the end.

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2022, 07:45:24 PM »
Oh yeah, that one. I hijacked it toward the end.

Did you ever get one?

changemyoil66

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »
Did you ever get one?

No, 1911 got pushed to the top. Instead of RDSing my VP9 (only handgun I own), I'm gonna get a new gun and RDS that one. I don't want to buy a 6th and 7th holster for her (OWB and IWB). Gonna wait till EO Tech's RDS comes out and see the reviews on that. I don't like removing the optic to change the battery.  And EOTech is more tacticool than Holosun.  But let's see the price comparison.  She warrior poet MR comes with a Holosun so ready to rock n roll out of the box. G19 clone.

6716J

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 11:43:45 AM »
snip

When you do, get your NV DL or ID and keep your Hi DL or ID. You can set your mailing address to Hawaii. Yes you can, ask me how I know... Then whenever you want to purchase new handgun, rifle, AR pistol, etc. while you're there, you just go do it. No wait, no permit applications, no registration (if you keep it there....). And if you do bring it back to Hi, just register online now (cept da AR pistol).

AND you can still get PTAs in Hawaii for long arms and pistols with NV IDs.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.