Use of Force Continuum (Read 6043 times)

drck1000

Re: Use of Force Continuum
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2022, 04:49:46 PM »
As best I understand it, the right to remain silent doesn't apply to identifying yourself to officers when they have cause to stop you. Imagine if you got arrested for something and refused to give them your name, would they just have to release you without charging you since they couldn't know who they were charging? I guess they could arrest you as "john doe" but I think at some point it comes back to bite you. Refusing to provide any information could be seen as an attempt to conceal identity which looks suspicious and may lead to other charges.

How many people are going to shell out a couple hundred dollars a year just so they can ask an attorney what they should say if they end up shooting someone?
???

Silence that can be construed as attempt to conceal identity?  :hmm:

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2022, 01:05:11 PM »
???

Silence that can be construed as attempt to conceal identity?  :hmm:

May very well depend on local statute and case law but attempting to conceal oneself is seen as a behavior, that when taken into an overall analysis, can be used to build up reasonable suspicion or probable cause.

However I would point out that simply remaining completely silent, in and of itself, would not constitute a violation. If cops are going to arrest a person for something they are probably going to find out the identity of the person sooner or later. I think refusing to provide basic identifying information after a justified self defense situation would only put oneself in a worse situation with no benefit.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2022, 01:11:58 PM »
Better to ask for clarification before posting incorrect opinions.

So if you like clarification, why do you jump on my back for giving clarification?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2022, 02:24:11 PM »
So if you like clarification, why do you jump on my back for giving clarification?

Because you offer it as an explanation as to why you were not wrong.

A little humility and acceptance that you should have spent a little more time getting it right the first time would be a welcome change.  Better yet, SPEND THAT EXTRA TIME to get it right, and you won't have to defend your meaning.

For some reason, you're allowed to clarify after an incorrect comment, but you jumped on CMO about implied meaning:

Better to state it specifically rather than have it be implied. Some people take instructions very literally and if it isn't explained they may sit there refusing to identify themselves to the officers at the scene which could end up hurting them.

I think your high horse needs a rest.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2022, 09:55:01 PM »
Because you offer it as an explanation as to why you were not wrong.

A little humility and acceptance that you should have spent a little more time getting it right the first time would be a welcome change.  Better yet, SPEND THAT EXTRA TIME to get it right, and you won't have to defend your meaning.

For some reason, you're allowed to clarify after an incorrect comment, but you jumped on CMO about implied meaning:

I think your high horse needs a rest.

I never said anything incorrect, nor have you provided any evidence I said anything incorrect. Seems like you are to stubborn to admit you called me out and were wrong.