How is Everyone Saving Money? (Read 9314 times)

DocMercy

How is Everyone Saving Money?
« on: April 27, 2022, 02:00:38 PM »
Yeah, one of the worst times to be doing home improvement or buying cars. Gotta save money on other things, like gasoline and food. I'm using Safeway points for a 20 cent/gallon discount at Texaco. Getting bulk vegetables like broccoli and lettuce at Costco. Their roast chicken and pizza is an excellent bargain. I even shop at Sam's Club for Basmati rice and Coke in mini-cans. We try to combine shopping into the same trip, buying ammo, CDs, food, building supplies, etc., from stores that are nearby one another. Instead of buying a third house, we decided to go down the self-storage path.

WTF?Shane

Re: How is Everyone Saving Money?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 02:11:12 PM »
I don't have a social life, so I'm home most of the time.

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 02:33:18 PM »
Been so busy and getting OT, so sort of positive double edged sword.  Haven't been going out nearly as much and lunch from home, so haven't been spending that much on "normal" living expenses.  But got various "bugs" for shooting, so much of that OT money going to new bolt guns, reloading components, .22 lr rifle and ammo, etc. . .

Work hard, play hard.  Otherwise, no sense. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 03:02:40 PM »
If you have a credit card that offers rewards, especially cash back, that's basically a discount every time you make a qualifying purchase.

I always use my Costco Business account VISA for all Costco purchases.  I get a 2% rebate from Costco on everything I buy including gas & tires, PLUS I get another rebate from the Citibank Costco VISA card.

2022 rebates:
$  132.81    Costco Credit Card Reward
    197.72    Costco Gold Star Executive Rebate
---------------
$  330.53
=========

That's $330.53 I can use to offset the inflated prices of beef, gas, etc.  I also use a vacuum seal system to package and freeze meats in smaller portions for later use.

The Citi Credit Card Reward rebate can be used toward another purchase OR redeemed for ca$h.  The Costco member rebate is intended for use on future purchases, but if you ask the check-out person, they can ring up all but $1 on your Costco credit card and use the rebate certificate for the $1 amount.  That way you get credit minus a buck for your next year's rebates, and you get the amount of the certificate minus a buck in cash as change.  Otherwise, if you just pay for the purchase with the rebate certificate, and you get no credit toward your rebates.  Have to learn the system to take full advantage.

Together, I'm getting about 3-5% in rebates combined each year.  Inflation would have to rise above that to wipe out my savings at Costco completely.  I use that Costco VISA at other grocery and department stores, too.  In any event, the rebates more than pay for the annual membership fees, not to mention the deals you get over buying elsewhere.  The price of gas alone can save you hundreds depending on how much you and your family use.

With reward cards, the more you spend, the more you save!   :thumbsup: :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

GlockNewb

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 03:03:36 PM »
Soaking up as much O/T as my mind can handle. Limiting to 1-2 takeout meals per week maximum.

I’ll never forget Kevin o’Leary’s advice regarding coffee. Drinks it every day, refuses to buy it out when it costs $0.18 to make.

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

macsak

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2022, 03:10:41 PM »
i don't own any firearms, ammo, reloading components, preps, comms, body armor...

macsak

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 03:12:42 PM »
i just take the checks to customer service and they cash them...

If you have a credit card that offers rewards, especially cash back, that's basically a discount every time you make a qualifying purchase.

I always use my Costco Business account VISA for all Costco purchases.  I get a 2% rebate from Costco on everything I buy including gas & tires, PLUS I get another rebate from the Citibank Costco VISA card.

2022 rebates:
$  132.81    Costco Credit Card Reward
    197.72    Costco Gold Star Executive Rebate
---------------
$  330.53
=========

That's $330.53 I can use to offset the inflated prices of beef, gas, etc.  I also use a vacuum seal system to package and freeze meats in smaller portions for later use.

The Citi Credit Card Reward rebate can be used toward another purchase OR redeemed for ca$h.  The Costco member rebate is intended for use on future purchases, but if you ask the check-out person, they can ring up all but $1 on your Costco credit card and use the rebate certificate for the $1 amount.  That way you get credit minus a buck for your next year's rebates, and you get the amount of the certificate minus a buck in cash as change.  Otherwise, if you just pay for the purchase with the rebate certificate, and you get no credit toward your rebates.  Have to learn the system to take full advantage.

Together, I'm getting about 3-5% in rebates combined each year.  Inflation would have to rise above that to wipe out my savings at Costco completely.  I use that Costco VISA at other grocery and department stores, too.  In any event, the rebates more than pay for the annual membership fees, not to mention the deals you get over buying elsewhere.  The price of gas alone can save you hundreds depending on how much you and your family use.

With reward cards, the more you spend, the more you save!   :thumbsup: :geekdanc:

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 03:32:03 PM »
Buying an EV worked out. At the time, premium gas was $3.66. Now it is 5.46.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DocMercy

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 04:56:11 AM »
Is EV or Solar PV worth it? I got burned on a few Chinese solar stocks, and felt their manufacturing quality left a little something to be desired. Most panels also degrade over time. Now, with an adult child in the home, who has no regard for turning off lights or electronic equipment, I wish I had solar on the roof. The boy is obsessed with Twitter, 24/7. For cars, I patiently wait for Honda to release an electric car. Nissan Leaf was a terrible experience for my friends.

Young homeowners, beware of the first house you buy. Stay away from pools and Bougainvillea. Too many high maintenance plants around the home will suck up your free time (i.e., stealing from your weapon practice time), or cost you money for a gardener. Explain to your kids (Bart Simpson) that everything in life costs you money, sooner or later.

For the young guys who are still working, take advantage of per diem, on travel. It's like tax-free money, when you avoid eating at Red Lobster. My friends who worked on Navy contracts would come away with over $150 net after a trip.

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 05:28:40 AM »
Buying an EV worked out. At the time, premium gas was $3.66. Now it is 5.46.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
For me, NOT buying an EV or ANY new or used car, but keeping my 09 FX50 which just made 90k miles last week.  I would have to drive well over 150k miles before any EV savings would begin to kick in.  Since I only drive about 8k miles a year and I just made 72, the math doesn't work for me.

As far as food goes, once a month my daughter brings a lot of various goat fish, papio, even marlin that her and her cousin catch off Kauai on his boat. Good thing my wife and I love eating fish. I can't afford prime ribeye any more.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 07:45:53 AM »
I save money by living within my means.  I am lucky that my wife has the same mindset.

Over the years we have managed to save 750 Trillion dollars. ;)
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2022, 08:00:24 AM »
I do my own mechanic work. Stay out of debt so I don’t pay interest. Started bodyboarding heavier waves so I don’t break as many boards.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Lihikai

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2022, 08:02:59 AM »
EV is worth it as long as the tax credits are available.  Get a few free quotes from solar companies.  The quotes will have the ROI/payback on them.  Some solar companies have agreements with local financial institutions for no interest loans.

Is EV or Solar PV worth it? I got burned on a few Chinese solar stocks, and felt their manufacturing quality left a little something to be desired. Most panels also degrade over time. Now, with an adult child in the home, who has no regard for turning off lights or electronic equipment, I wish I had solar on the roof. The boy is obsessed with Twitter, 24/7. For cars, I patiently wait for Honda to release an electric car. Nissan Leaf was a terrible experience for my friends.

Young homeowners, beware of the first house you buy. Stay away from pools and Bougainvillea. Too many high maintenance plants around the home will suck up your free time (i.e., stealing from your weapon practice time), or cost you money for a gardener. Explain to your kids (Bart Simpson) that everything in life costs you money, sooner or later.

For the young guys who are still working, take advantage of per diem, on travel. It's like tax-free money, when you avoid eating at Red Lobster. My friends who worked on Navy contracts would come away with over $150 net after a trip.

stangzilla

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 08:28:46 AM »
I only drive my Mustang a 1/4 mile at a time  O0

stangzilla

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »
I shoot more 22LR
Reload for my more expensive ammo like 44 and 357
Eat ramen with spam
Eat more pork chops instead of ribeye

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 08:49:45 AM »
I cook or prepare most all my own meals with fresh ingredients.
Both my son and daughter told me that they prefer to prepare their own food for health reasons.
When you make your own meals it's also easier to control the amount that you eat.
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 09:09:10 AM »
I also watch the weekly sales at the grocery store.  Usually there are sales on bulk purchases, like pork shoulder and chuck roasts.

Like Flapp, I break them down to smaller (usually 1 lb.) portions and freeze them for future meals.

I also garden now that I'm retired.  I don't throw anything away: I re-use potting soil, compost vegetable clippings, egg shells, and even use washed rice water to fertilize the plants.  I installed a rain barrel system that catches water from my gutters.

It also helps if you don't mind eating leftovers every once in a while during the week.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

macsak

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 09:21:23 AM »
if you or any other member wants composting worms, just let me know
i am giving a bunch to a member this weekend...

I also watch the weekly sales at the grocery store.  Usually there are sales on bulk purchases, like pork shoulder and chuck roasts.

Like Flapp, I break them down to smaller (usually 1 lb.) portions and freeze them for future meals.

I also garden now that I'm retired.  I don't throw anything away: I re-use potting soil, compost vegetable clippings, egg shells, and even use washed rice water to fertilize the plants.  I installed a rain barrel system that catches water from my gutters.

It also helps if you don't mind eating leftovers every once in a while during the week.

Rocky

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
Claimed 1.7 million migrants from around the world who crossed the border as dependents on my 2021 taxes.
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

GlockNewb

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 10:45:16 AM »
Good “financial” channel on YouTube. No formal financial education, but made a lot of good financial decisions during his time (crypto, precious metals, etc) and recently bought a house.

"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."