How is Everyone Saving Money? (Read 9317 times)

Rocky

Re: How is Everyone Saving Money?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2022, 12:37:45 PM »

Use it up, wear it out, and then make do something else with it or strip it for parts.
 :thumbsup:
I am TOTALLY pake for a phlip
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2022, 12:41:56 PM »
Most of the time when it rains the overflow pipe on my 10k gal tank is shooting out water.
Is this the bidet you always speak of  ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

groveler

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2022, 01:09:31 PM »
Is this the bidet you always speak of  ?  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have 34,000 gallons of storage.
I'm a prepped sort of guy.
No Bidet.
Navy style showers only.
Waste not, want not.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2022, 05:44:08 AM »
What you do is the norm in my house, I live on Catchment.
I also pee outside, like the rest of my animals.

Biggest thing is to become debt free.  Save all that money you waste in interest.
I retired at age 55.  It works, even in Hawaii.
Never buy new cars.
Fix all your own stuff.
The dump can be a gold mine.
Use it up, wear it out, and then make do.

Roger that! :shaka:

You mentioning the The Dump can be a Gold Mine.  Brings back memories of the old days where there were several dumps on Oahu.  Not like the convenience centers they have now run by the County but actual land where people used to just dump their sh*t.  Some of the dumps were legal but most of them were just random places that people used to dump stuff.

Used to love to rummage amongst the stuff.  I used to find tools, bicycle parts, broken fishing poles I would fix, all kinds of junk.  Someone's trash is another one's treasure.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

RSN172

« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2022, 07:12:44 AM »
The city and county dumps are only a gold mine for the workers there.  Oahu ones have signs that say no scavenging and I have seen workers on the BI stop people from dumpster diving. That makes sense because of liability concerns in the sue happy world we live it.  No one wants to take responsibility for their actions.   It is always somebody else's fault why they got hurt.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2022, 09:12:58 AM »
The city and county dumps are only a gold mine for the workers there.  Oahu ones have signs that say no scavenging and I have seen workers on the BI stop people from dumpster diving. That makes sense because of liability concerns in the sue happy world we live it.  No one wants to take responsibility for their actions.   It is always somebody else's fault why they got hurt.

Yeah, I remember the workers at the Convenience Center would scout our load of junk that we wanted to dump to see if there was something they liked.

One time we had some kiddy bicycles and they told us:  "Put them over here", next to their office.  Another time they wanted an old school desk and a folding table that had 2 broken legs, lol!!

But now I noticed they don't scout people's junk anymore.  I wonder if they were instructed not to.

oldfart

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2022, 10:04:04 AM »
It's been pretty dry lately and my grass is all brown.
It would be nice to reclaim some grey water from the kitchen or shower to water the yard.
IIRC there is supposed to be some sort of health hazard in doing that.
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2022, 11:29:47 AM »
It's been pretty dry lately and my grass is all brown.
It would be nice to reclaim some grey water from the kitchen or shower to water the yard.
IIRC there is supposed to be some sort of health hazard in doing that.

in the midst of recycling laundry water. I have a 1/4 sump pump, float switch and a barrel
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »
I am TOTALLY pake for a phlip
==============
quote from my pake classmate....

"You don't have to be pake to be pake"
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2022, 11:40:06 AM »
 ;D

DocMercy

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »
I have a relative who lives on the North Shore. She has been arrested for misdemeanor trespassing during the Covid crisis, so no big deal getting cited for combing a beach for treasure. Where can we get a cheap metal detector?

When Opala.org had fixed days for bulky pickup, it was a lot easier to scavenge for materials from the curbside lawns of homeowners. My wife would drive around looking for furniture, appliances, etc. She found a hardwood footboard that could have been sold to a cabinet maker. Electronics gear can be fixed by hobbyists, and then sold at swap meets. I told the woman to stop cruising Kahala, Hawaii Kai, and Waialae Iki for junk, when I was employed. But now, she good to go back.  :wacko:

Whenever you need to buy new, try to find the best bargain in a store. This plastic bin is the least expensive Sterilite bin at Walmart. Perfect for shoes, sewing kits, or storing gun-related parts like red dot sites.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-6-Quart-Storage-Box-White/15442432?athbdg=L1600

aletheuo137

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2022, 12:20:27 PM »
Any and every where we can. Minimize and combine trips far away. Drink more water and homemade tea. Reload ammo but range too far and gas too expensive. Found other options in shooting, doing more side work but materials going up. Pulling money off the money tree growing in the backyard.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

changemyoil66

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2022, 12:38:32 PM »
Any and every where we can. Minimize and combine trips far away. Drink more water and homemade tea. Reload ammo but range too far and gas too expensive. Found other options in shooting, doing more side work but materials going up. Pulling money off the money tree growing in the backyard.

I've been shooting slightly more cause the cost of ammo dropped since covid panic 2020. Case 9mm pecovid was like $189-$220. 2020 went to $500+. Found SEC a few months ago for $480. Same with 223/556. Was in the $800's. Now low $700's or less. Guess it's all relative since the past 2 years, prices were super high.

GlockNewb

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2022, 01:21:23 PM »
Bought a case of aluminum 9mm from Young Guns sometime in April, $400
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

aletheuo137

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2022, 01:35:28 PM »
I've been shooting slightly more cause the cost of ammo dropped since covid panic 2020. Case 9mm pecovid was like $189-$220. 2020 went to $500+. Found SEC a few months ago for $480. Same with 223/556. Was in the $800's. Now low $700's or less. Guess it's all relative since the past 2 years, prices were super high.
I have 50 9mm if you get tazed!

Direjackalope

« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2022, 04:49:08 PM »
https://www.khon2.com/local-news/hawaii-actor-launches-his-own-cryptocurrency/

This seems like a savings plan that some of you gents might be interested in.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »
I mentioned I'm kinda new to gardening; only dived into it a couple of years ago when I retired.  I'm trying to garden effectively where the money spent on amendments, fertilizer, and stuff like containers will be offset by the bounty of the harvest.

Well, it's easier said than done.  I started really thinking out what to grow because in the past years I've found some veggies are not worth trying to grow.  For me anyway.  So I try to grow stuff that will pay off and yet still be something that I like to eat.

I found that Kale is very easy to grow, grows abundantly, and is a multi-producer.  Meaning you can pick the outer leaves and more will grow in it's place.  At first I wasn't keen to growing Kale since it's really a bland veggie until I started using it as a replacement for rice.

Rice has risen in price lately and even Kale in the produce department is pretty expensive.  So now Kale is my side whenever I cook fish, chicken, pork, or beef.

Gonna try to grow Collards this summer as Kale is usually a cool season crop.  I like Collards also.

So far the worthwhile crops to grow for me is Pak Choy (actually all oriental cabbage greens) string beans, Daikon radish, and cherry tomatoes.

As a aside, rice is now $12.99 per 15 lb. bag WHEN ON SALE. :grrr:  Just last year it was $9.99.  Gone are the days back in the '80's and '90's when rice was $3.99 for a 25 lb. bag.

astroboy

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2022, 03:49:32 PM »
I mentioned I'm kinda new to gardening; only dived into it a couple of years ago when I retired.  I'm trying to garden effectively where the money spent on amendments, fertilizer, and stuff like containers will be offset by the bounty of the harvest.

Well, it's easier said than done.  I started really thinking out what to grow because in the past years I've found some veggies are not worth trying to grow.  For me anyway.  So I try to grow stuff that will pay off and yet still be something that I like to eat.

I found that Kale is very easy to grow, grows abundantly, and is a multi-producer.  Meaning you can pick the outer leaves and more will grow in it's place.  At first I wasn't keen to growing Kale since it's really a bland veggie until I started using it as a replacement for rice.

Rice has risen in price lately and even Kale in the produce department is pretty expensive.  So now Kale is my side whenever I cook fish, chicken, pork, or beef.

Gonna try to grow Collards this summer as Kale is usually a cool season crop.  I like Collards also.

So far the worthwhile crops to grow for me is Pak Choy (actually all oriental cabbage greens) string beans, Daikon radish, and cherry tomatoes.

As a aside, rice is now $12.99 per 15 lb. bag WHEN ON SALE. :grrr:  Just last year it was $9.99.  Gone are the days back in the '80's and '90's when rice was $3.99 for a 25 lb. bag.

Rice is getting pricey.
Let us know how you are cooking/serving kale. I cannot handle the raw stuff. My wife is growing some kale and so far so good.

RSN172

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2022, 07:16:14 PM »
Collard greens are easy to grow, hard to kill and keep producing.

When I was a kid on Molokai in the early sixties, the poi factory there would sell a 3.5 bag of poi for $1.00.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2022, 07:42:07 PM »
Rice is getting pricey.
Let us know how you are cooking/serving kale. I cannot handle the raw stuff. My wife is growing some kale and so far so good.

Yeah, me too.  I cannot eat kale raw.  As far as cooking it, nothing fancy.  Usually sauteed with garlic, carrots, sometimes with onion.  We add some broth like chicken or vegetable since kale is such a neutral vegetable.

But it does the job of filling you up.  It has become my "starch" instead of rice, which not only is getting pricey, health wise I was advised to eat it sparingly.

Tonight my daughter dropped off some kalua pork from a 1st baby party she went to.  My wife and I substituted the kale instead of conventional cabbage and made kalua kale instead of kalua cabbage.  It came out great!  Loved it!  :thumbsup: