Long, but interesting read from a liberal (Read 1069 times)

groveler

Long, but interesting read from a liberal
« on: June 07, 2022, 08:48:06 AM »
Long, but interesting from a stark raving crazy liberal,
Gun supporter.

https://naomiwolf.substack.com/p/rethinking-the-second-amendment?s=r

:thumbsup:

changemyoil66

Re: Long, but interesting read from a liberal
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 09:10:43 AM »
Cliffnotes?

hvybarrels

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 09:45:25 AM »
She's an excellent writer and as a liberal brings up a lot of pro-2A points that more conservative writers usually too afraid to directly address.

Bill Gates is still trying to have his fetish-y, psychotic adolescent fantasies come true, worldwide; but this time not at a TED conference in make-believe Ebola camps, but for real, with real quarantine camps and with his own private One Health army. He won’t give up, nor will the WEF and the WHO. We don’t know who the unnamed, dark-clad — police? Mercenaries? — were, who violently beat the Canadian truckers, and we don’t know who the unnamed dark-clad — police? Mercenaries? — were, who violently beat the protesters against ‘lockdowns’ in France. There are mercenary armies available to private individuals or nonprofit entities around the world, with a phone call. The Second Amendment, along with our sovereignty, alone protects us from them.

This is hard to accept. But risks of criminal gun violence, while always tragic, are risks that sadly can’t be done away with altogether, if we are to secure a more fundamental safety for more people and more lives; the right as a nation of 330 million people, to deter massive planned violence, criminal detentions, “lockdowns”, theft of assets, and violent crimes at the state, and now at meta-state, levels, against our lives and freedoms and yes, against our children.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »
Long, but interesting from a stark raving crazy liberal,
Gun supporter.

https://naomiwolf.substack.com/p/rethinking-the-second-amendment?s=r

[/quote
In a nutshell,  the liberal chick writer had an epiphany.
Kind of like watching a kid opening a cool gift on Christmas morning.
She regurgitates everything that us folks already know.

What, Me Worry?

groveler

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 12:30:41 PM »
Cliffnotes?
Stark raving lunatic Vegan, feminist, learns why we have a second amendment.
And she defines 2A quite well in our modern English language.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 02:12:37 PM »
Stark raving lunatic Vegan, feminist, learns why we have a second amendment.
And she defines 2A quite well in our modern English language.

I don't think she's alone by any means.  Look at the number of first time gun buyers during the riots and lockdowns of the past 3+ years.

People suddenly realize that the government doesn't have to be the aggressor in an SHTF scenario. They just simply need to decide to do nothing to stop the aggressors or be so overwhelmed that they can't stop it.  When that happens, you're on your own.  And, if you're not prepared -- geared up and trained how to use it -- there's nothing between you and the criminals.

The CHAZ crap and Cops being too busy to arrest crooks who get released back on the streets were a huge wake-up call for all the pacifists who believed something like that could never happen.

I guess you can say some of the woke are now awake.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 07:28:05 PM »
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 11:35:12 PM »
She's an excellent writer and as a liberal brings up a lot of pro-2A points that more conservative writers usually too afraid to directly address.

She makes a very good point that I think is important in the discussion. Firearm ownership is a double-edged sword in society. With firearm ownership you get certain problems and without it you have different problems. Any honest conversation must acknowledge that banning firearms brings other problems

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 11:59:33 AM »
She makes a very good point that I think is important in the discussion. Firearm ownership is a double-edged sword in society. With firearm ownership you get certain problems and without it you have different problems. Any honest conversation must acknowledge that banning firearms brings other problems

No different than the people who die every year from pool accidents, auto crashes, prescription drug overdoses, fast food enabled obesity, medical malpractice, etc, etc.

There are few things in life that are 100% risk-free.  Painting guns as a "double-edged sword" is just a fact, not an issue.  No different than the other things I mentioned, as they all carry a risk.

We know that guns save upwards of 100 times more lives than they are responsible for taking.  Cost/benefit analysis is pretty straight forward.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 12:40:53 PM »
No different than the people who die every year from pool accidents, auto crashes, prescription drug overdoses, fast food enabled obesity, medical malpractice, etc, etc.

There are few things in life that are 100% risk-free.  Painting guns as a "double-edged sword" is just a fact, not an issue.  No different than the other things I mentioned, as they all carry a risk.

We know that guns save upwards of 100 times more lives than they are responsible for taking.  Cost/benefit analysis is pretty straight forward.

I would say cars save more than guns. Ambulance, fire trucks, Ubering to hospital, being dropped off at a hospital, doctor driving to surgery instead of walking, etc...  All that had time of the essence.  I'm just messing with you Flapp. Need some giggles in the threads every now and then.  And I had nothing constructive to contribute to the thread.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 11:24:28 PM »

I have serious doubts about the higher estimates of firearm use in self-defense but that is another subject. I think a firearms community is more likely to recognize the double-edged nature of private firearm ownership then those who would wish to greatly restrict firearms. The reason why I said it's important to acknowledge it is that in conversations with people on the other side they can see that we are acknowledging their points. For them to listen to us it is important that we first show we are open and listening to their concerns.

hvybarrels

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 08:29:02 AM »
it's important to acknowledge it is that in conversations with people on the other side they can see that we are acknowledging their points. For them to listen to us it is important that we first show we are open and listening to their concerns.

All they care about is power and they will never give an inch. You can't rationalize with a person like that.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 12:48:25 PM »
I have serious doubts about the higher estimates of firearm use in self-defense but that is another subject. I think a firearms community is more likely to recognize the double-edged nature of private firearm ownership then those who would wish to greatly restrict firearms. The reason why I said it's important to acknowledge it is that in conversations with people on the other side they can see that we are acknowledging their points. For them to listen to us it is important that we first show we are open and listening to their concerns.

I thought you trusted the CDC.  Or do you pick and choose the things to believe depending on how closely the CDC aligns with your personal beliefs?

Unpublished CDC Study Confirms
More than 2 Million Defensive Handgun Uses Annually

Unpublished CDC Study Confirms More than 2 Million Defensive Handgun Uses Annually

An unpublished Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study confirms Florida State University
criminologist Gary Kleck’s findings of more than two million defensive handgun uses (DGUs) per year.

Since the early 1990s, Kleck has maintained that there is a minimum of 760,000 DGUs annually. However,
that is his low estimate. Kleck and research partner Marc Gertz have contended the actual number is closer
to 2.5 million, reported Breitbart.

Kleck reaffirmed his numbers on February 17, 2015, explaining that while plenty of naysayers have criticized
his findings, none have been able to offer empirical evidence to counter them.

Now, a CDC study conducted on data from 1996, 1997, and 1998 has been uncovered. The study, which was
never released to the public, shows approximately 2.46 million DGUs per year.
https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/unpublished-cdc-study-confirms-2-million-defensive-handgun-uses-annually/

Not only has that CDC report never been formally published or referenced in any CDC gun stats, they have taken great efforts to expunge that report and any mention of it from the Internet.

Yet, the 2004 CDC report after the first AWB (1994-2004) admitted that the number of incidents is verifiable at about 300,000, but is likely much higher.  2-3 Million defensive uses of guns is not out of the realm of possibility, but the stats lacked proof due to lack of incident reporting.
-- Melvin Udall