What are your thoughts and how would you handle it (Read 19625 times)

oldfart

Re: What are your thoughts and how would you handle it
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
We have laws for speed...
Not from what I see out there. :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

Kingkeoni

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 10:49:12 AM »
We have laws for speed...

Don't even start with that.

Next thing you know there will be some blowhard trying to pass more laws and restrictions then there already are.
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Cpt.Englehorn

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 03:13:41 PM »
if it bothers you ask politely to correct the issue, lets not add more rules and regulations on top of the mountain of rules and regulations currently in effect, Next itll be new rule, load one at a time to avoid raining brass upon the next bench over. Ive been rained on and not bothered, ive also asked that the brass be deflected in some way or reduced, ive rained on others and corrected it just out of awareness and courtesy to them. Its a range, brass flies, nature of the beast.
High Ho Lock and Load, The Engines are Runnin We're Ready to Roll.......

Mynah

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
Thank to all for your replies, I knew there would be a lot of good discussion but I'm somewhat taken back by the acceptance of injury.  The stories shared leads me to believe that safety is conditional and that we need RO to monitor us because we can't safely monitor our selves without someone telling us.  Why then is it mandatory to wear hearing protection and safety glasses, doesn't it make sense too? Wouldn't it suck if we were told that we could only single load? Why wait for that to happen? I'm bummed that the range shrunk to 100 yds. Cause and effect.

Call me a blowhard, maybe in my initial post, I should have used a softer word then mandatory, but the bottom line that I'm suggesting is to practice better safety before we loose our privilege to shoot.  Remember there are a lot of groups tying to keep us from bearing arms, I don't want to give them more reasons to stop us.

All it takes is one incident, as we saw happen.

Aloha

mauidog

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 06:20:41 PM »
Thank to all for your replies, I knew there would be a lot of good discussion but I'm somewhat taken back by the acceptance of injury.  The stories shared leads me to believe that safety is conditional and that we need RO to monitor us because we can't safely monitor our selves without someone telling us.  Why then is it mandatory to wear hearing protection and safety glasses, doesn't it make sense too? Wouldn't it suck if we were told that we could only single load? Why wait for that to happen? I'm bummed that the range shrunk to 100 yds. Cause and effect.

Call me a blowhard, maybe in my initial post, I should have used a softer word then mandatory, but the bottom line that I'm suggesting is to practice better safety before we loose our privilege to shoot.  Remember there are a lot of groups tying to keep us from bearing arms, I don't want to give them more reasons to stop us.

Aloha

The range has all the mandatory safety features they are required to have.  They require individuals bring mandatory ear and eye protection which they do not furnish. 

Do you think, if flying brass was such a safety issue, they would hesitate to install position dividers or make brass catchers mandatory?

People get all kinds of injuries at the range, but they are very minor.  Slide bite, hot brass burns, and falling while walking to set up and retrieve targets are just a few.

If this issue was serious, I'm sure the RSO would make nets mandatory, or the C&C would fund to install dividers to keep the brass in your own area.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:00:10 PM by mauidog »
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

oldfart

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
Thank to all for your replies, I knew there would be a lot of good discussion but I'm somewhat taken back by the acceptance of injury.

Aloha
Somebody got injured by brass?
What, Me Worry?

yurcarmeean

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »
if it bothers you ask politely to correct the issue, lets not add more rules and regulations on top of the mountain of rules and regulations currently in effect, Next itll be new rule, load one at a time to avoid raining brass upon the next bench over. Ive been rained on and not bothered, ive also asked that the brass be deflected in some way or reduced, ive rained on others and corrected it just out of awareness and courtesy to them. Its a range, brass flies, nature of the beast.

:thumbsup:

yes brother, no more new rules, "Its a range, brass flies, nature of the beast."

Hot brass flying at me reminds me that I'm in Amerrrrrica, the greatest country in the world. 

however I have occasionally apologized in advance to neighbors, they always take it well
If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.

justin1098

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 06:48:19 AM »
Muzzle breaks are more annoying to me than flying brass.

s197

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 08:08:57 AM »
I don't think it should be mandatory but at the same time people should show consideration for others. You don't need to spend a lot of money to contain your brass. Heck even using the wooden rest they provide is a pretty decent barrier when positioned right. I've seen Slick use this for several shooters who didn't have a catcher.

stangzilla

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:49 AM »
its like a fence around your house
not required, but fences make good neighbors

Jl808

What are your thoughts and how would you handle it
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
:thumbsup:

yes brother, no more new rules, "Its a range, brass flies, nature of the beast."

Hot brass flying at me reminds me that I'm in Amerrrrrica, the greatest country in the world. 

however I have occasionally apologized in advance to neighbors, they always take it well

I bring a pistol brass catcher to collect my brass.  Sometimes, the brass catcher misses the brass, oh well.

I don't mind the flying brass at all. It's part of my enjoyment of being in the range.   Brings a smile to my face every time.   Loud gunfire, flying hot brass, the satisfying dinging of metal targets, they all remind me of the little freedom we enjoy here on our commie run island.

Murica!
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

oldfart

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »
I bring a pistol brass catcher to collect my brass.  Sometimes, the brass catcher misses the brass, oh well.

I don't mind the flying brass at all. It's part of my enjoyment of being in the range.   Brings a smile to my face every time.   Loud gunfire, flying hot brass, the satisfying dinging of metal targets, they all remind me of the little freedom we enjoy here on our commie run island.

Murica!
Amen brother.
I would like to add something here. Take a look at these pictures attached.
One pic is some random rifle match on the mainland.
The other is a fun pistol match with my friends.
You will notice no brass catchers, no nets, no barriers of any sort.
If you happen to be in a war zone, you won't see brass barriers either.
You must dress appropriately, adapt, and focus on the task at hand
What, Me Worry?

mauidog

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
I've been hit by spent cases as well.
I wish people were more considerate to others, but its not required.

last time i went, an ejected brass opened a small cut on my forehead
but it was from my own 1911.  the brass hit the wood roof support and came back and hit me in the forehead.
but i didn't even flinch.  kept on shooting.  LOL.   :thumbsup:

How many stitches were needed? 

Terrifying story!!   :shake:     :shake:
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.   -- Jeff Cooper

powder monkey

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »
Amen brother.

X2

ren

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 01:33:15 PM »
I think liberals have infiltrated our ranks
Deeds Not Words

Jl808

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 01:39:45 PM »

Amen brother.

Haha is that Ed M acting RSO?
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

ren

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 01:55:32 PM »
Amen brother.

Looks like the All Guard team.
I got burned by brass from someone else, bubbled and turned into a scab. I accept it as part of the sport like getting bit by mosquitoes while camping. On the other hand, there are complete arses out there. I shoot on the prone side often and there was a casual shooter who dumped a full 30 round mag on me until the RO told him he only could load 5 at a time. No apologies and he did know he was dumping his brass on me.
Deeds Not Words

Drakiir84

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 02:55:56 PM »
Haha is that Ed M acting RSO?

Actually I think the reason they don't need barriers for spent casings is because Ed can catch all of them before they hit others or hit the ground.  Ninja status.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

beekeeping1341

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
Comon people its just brass. So what if it hits your nightforce or fancy rifle....you spent that much money for a durable product right? Than don't cry when a piece of stray brass hits it. If a nightforce can stop a bullet (which they have) than it can handle a casing.

And about brass hitting people. If it bugs you that much just ask the person to block the brass. I have personally had plenty of brass rain down on me and get stuck on my neck as we were firing on line moving up to the target and that HURTS. So having a stray casing bounce off of you every once in a while is seriously NOT a big deal, especially since you can just flick it off and don't have to suffer through it fusing to your neck lol.
I sure as hell don't need a permit to choose my religion, so why the hell do I need a permit to acquire a firearm?

beekeeping1341

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »

Aloha

That fact that you say privilege to shoot just drives me up the wall.

Its a damn shame that in the state of Hawaii it is a fucking PRIVILEGE to shoot.

And what's with the whole only 5 rounds at a time and no human silhouettes rule? What did someone get scared about that?

Is this state so back asswards that it forbades its own people from training to defend themselves?!

When the state forbades the people from being able to adequately arm and train themselves there is a MAJOR problem. They give you just enough so the NRA doesn't get involved and whoop their asses, but they take just enough to the point where we are all under armed and trained.

Its fucking bullshit.

End rant
I sure as hell don't need a permit to choose my religion, so why the hell do I need a permit to acquire a firearm?