+P and +P+ Ammo Questions (Read 5707 times)

passivekinetic

+P and +P+ Ammo Questions
« on: August 16, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »
Never shot them before.

One LGS guy told me never to shoot + stuff in my pistols.

Instruction manuals only say, when shooting +P and +P+ stuff, it will reduce the life of the firearm.

I have Glock 19 and 17 and a Beretta 92A1 (and CX4).

Safe to shoot 9mm +P and +P+?
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

JHanawahine

Re: +P and +P+ Ammo Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
Safe.The wear is mostly on the recoil spring/assembly.why +p,+p+ anyway? You want more boom get a bigger caliber

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
You need a .357

OldFaithful

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:33 AM »
Those are perfectly fine to shoot +P ammo in as most modern firearms are.  What +p ammo is, is basically it is a higher pressure load to give a bit more power and velocity, commonly found in self defense loads.  Amazing what kind of results you can get out of a +p 9mm.  Don't use it in older firearms as they may not be able to handle the pressure.  Since it is a hotter load, it will cause a bit more wear than standard pressure loads, but the only time you'd really be shooting +p is for self defense scenarios or testing.

passivekinetic

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »
OK thanks.

Regarding larger calibers, I want to standardize on 9mm for handguns.

I have been doing this since a few years ago when I anticipated ammo shortage. So now I don't have to worry, as my pistol caliber firearms all have ammo (9mm).

Also it's the usual debate about 9mm versus other calibers. With modern HP bullets, 9mm is formidable.

This doesn't mean I am not also looking at other calibers but 9mm is my "go to" caliber.
- Anonymous

OldFaithful

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
Interesting thing is that almost all popular pistol calibers perform similarly with very slight difference.  Shot placement is king.

passivekinetic

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:04 AM »
Interesting thing is that almost all popular pistol calibers perform similarly with very slight difference.  Shot placement is king.

Yes that is my understanding as well, after years of reading reports and such stuff.

This is also why 22LR can be effective BUT it is not so much the caliber itself as the reliability of FTF and FTE issues that makes 22LR not good for defense. For hunting it might be fine since a FTF/FTE is not catastrophic.

(Clothing penetration issues aside).
- Anonymous

GZire

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Depends on the firearm, but yes most modern firearms are perfectly capable.  Always always consult your owner's manual. 

gongho

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
What is +p and +p+ ammo btw

Kingkeoni

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »
Typically the +P pressure is around 10% higher than standard pressure
+P+ indicates a pressure that is higher that +P
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

808gmac

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »
I shoot a 9mm major going approximately 1400 fps with 124grain bullet, using my Infinity and STI 2011 open gun (compensated race gun, uspsa).  These loads are 9mm +p+++ , and are not for regular production pistols...

zippz

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 05:41:59 PM »
As far as longevity of the pistol, the cost of the ammo will be many multiples of the cost of the pistol in it's lifetime.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

808gmac

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 05:46:58 PM »
Btw: i chronoed a 9mm +p before, and it was only about going 1100 to 1200fps

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »
I could go into to details about this.....If you want to know more come to the Pau Hana.

Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!