Knives - What Are Your Preferences? (Read 125652 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: Knives - What Are Your Preferences?
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
Interesting design/concept.  I guess you can always stab someone with any object, but I would think that that design would make it tougher.

I figure that if you are stabbing tissue with something like a chisel (which has a more obtuse angle) you won't have much trouble anyway. So I put the angle on it so that it does have a tip that hits first. I haven't tried puncture tests with it but now that you ask maybe I will have to take it to some objects to try out on. Phone book, cardboard, etc?

Meanwhile, here is a shameless plug!
I made this one for my father. About 4.5" blade, nice curved belly.
https://www.facebook.com/MattWouldCraft/photos/a.783703501710618.1073741828.783694391711529/783703441710624/?type=3&theater
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 07:44:25 PM by eyeeatingfish »

Surf

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
I have many knives, but my primaries are fairly generic and not the fancy or custom ones;

Folders - Benchmade AFOII Tanto, Ken Onion Kershaw BOA

Fixed hunting pig knife - Ka Bar Becker BK7

Field dressing / skinning - Buck Vanguard.  Old school favorite because I have had it for a long long time and field dressed a lot of game with it.

Fixed carry - OKC Rat 3.  Benchmade Nimravus.  Don't generally carry a fixed other than these, except for knives I have affixed to gear set ups.

Jungle Machete - New favorite is the Condor Village Parang.

Skinning / boning Knives - Victorinox.  2 mostly used are the Western Beef Skinner and the 6" flex boning knife, but I also have the 12" Straight Butcher.  These are not field skinners.

Kitchen - Henkels but I still like the Victorinox chef, santoku, bread and paring knives.

Throwing - Primarily simple midrange priced knives from, Sog flings, Gil Hibben, Cold Steel.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 07:55:04 PM »
I have many knives, but my primaries are fairly generic and not the fancy or custom ones;
Folders - Benchmade AFOII Tanto, Ken Onion Kershaw BOA
Fixed hunting pig knife - Ka Bar Becker BK7
Field dressing / skinning - Buck Vanguard.  Old school favorite because I have had it for a long long time and field dressed a lot of game with it.
Fixed carry - OKC Rat 3.  Benchmade Nimravus.  Don't generally carry a fixed other than these, except for knives I have affixed to gear set ups.
Jungle Machete - New favorite is the Condor Village Parang.
Skinning / boning Knives - Victorinox.  2 mostly used are the Western Beef Skinner and the 6" flex boning knife, but I also have the 12" Straight Butcher.  These are not field skinners.
Kitchen - Henkels but I still like the Victorinox chef, santoku, bread and paring knives.
Throwing - Primarily simple midrange priced knives from, Sog flings, Gil Hibben, Cold Steel.

My EDC folders are a
Kershaw Jun Yard Dog
https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/junkyard-dog-ii (mine is slightly older model)
Sog Visionary (larger size)
http://www.sogknives.com/visionary-ii.html
A CRKT Fossil
http://www.crkt.com/fossil-folding-pocket-knife-5470
MCUSTA Tactility
http://www.gpknives.com/mcustatactilityquincewood.html
MCUSTA Take
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Mcusta-Take-Damascus--6163

whynow?

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 08:47:09 PM »
2 Spydercos (Civilian model and a real old forget the name plain blade model) and 1 Benchmade Mini Rukus.
Normally carry the older Spyderco for the weight, but the Civilian blade is mean looking.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »
2 Spydercos (Civilian model and a real old forget the name plain blade model) and 1 Benchmade Mini Rukus.
Normally carry the older Spyderco for the weight, but the Civilian blade is mean looking.

I have 2 Spyderco knives. One is a full see endure as my work knife with a custom handle I made and the other i somewhat of a collectors edition, a glow in the dark handle run made for bladeforums.com users. That one remains in the box as I haven't decided whether to keep it as a possible collectors item or use it. I have been happy with all Spydercos I have owned to date. Forgot to mention I did buy my wife a med size spyderco as well. I also have a spyderco salt which is basically impervious to rust. And yes, based on the claim that it is completely rust proof, people have tried everything to get it to rust without success. Does't hold the best edge but it is rust proof, not rust resistant.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:58:48 PM by eyeeatingfish »

drck1000

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 10:22:18 PM »
I have the Benchmade Nimravus and Spyderco Spyderco FB23PBBK in my Amazon wishlist.  It would go on my training gun belt.  Slim utility knife. 

I was looking at a bunch of different KaBar Becker blades, but just didn't pull the trigger on one.  While the folders I have get some use, albeit mostly box cutting and loose close thread cutting, I rarely have uses for fixed blades anymore.  I have a couple of dive knives that get taken out to be used here and there, but I rarely end up using them. 

I've tried throwing knives, but never owned any.  It's a LOT harder than it looks thats for sure!  Closest I got to throwing knives were ninja stars when I was a kid.  A friend and I got actually pretty good with those things as one point. 

A friend in Texas got into autos and had a line on getting Benchmade autos at dealer cost, but sadly no bueno here. 

Another blade shape that I found interesting are the Kukri.  I have a cheap Cold Steel one and another that I got from a friend (no idea on the brand).  I've used them for yard work at my dad's place.  Haha.  Seem decently useful. 

I also have a couple CRKT SF-type knives.  The flipper things make them too bulky to EDC with typical office attire.  They seem decent knives for the money though. 

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 10:30:57 PM »
Another brand that I've been wanting to try is Zero Tolerance.  They are pretty pricey though.  I have a few similar Kershaws that are assisted openers. 

Surf

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 11:36:20 PM »
I have the Benchmade Nimravus and Spyderco Spyderco FB23PBBK in my Amazon wishlist.  It would go on my training gun belt.  Slim utility knife. 

I was looking at a bunch of different KaBar Becker blades, but just didn't pull the trigger on one.  While the folders I have get some use, albeit mostly box cutting and loose close thread cutting, I rarely have uses for fixed blades anymore.  I have a couple of dive knives that get taken out to be used here and there, but I rarely end up using them. 

I've tried throwing knives, but never owned any.  It's a LOT harder than it looks thats for sure!  Closest I got to throwing knives were ninja stars when I was a kid.  A friend and I got actually pretty good with those things as one point. 

A friend in Texas got into autos and had a line on getting Benchmade autos at dealer cost, but sadly no bueno here. 

Another blade shape that I found interesting are the Kukri.  I have a cheap Cold Steel one and another that I got from a friend (no idea on the brand).  I've used them for yard work at my dad's place.  Haha.  Seem decently useful. 

I also have a couple CRKT SF-type knives.  The flipper things make them too bulky to EDC with typical office attire.  They seem decent knives for the money though.
The Nimravus is really a good knife.  As you mention, slim, lightweight and great ergos, excellent steel, nice design as fighter or just a utility.  A custom kydex belt sheath with your carry mode or cant makes it ideal.

The Becker knives just feel good in the hand.  Great feel to the grip, but the standard grip texture may need a bit of help.  Grip mods or aftermarket grips makes them pretty much perfect.  Great steel.

I get my Benchmades when they run certain discount specials for qualified buyers, so I am a fan of that. 

The Kukri design is very good.  Leverage via the design in regards to weight and angle of the blade is excellent.  A good design and Kukri is awesome for certain uses, but the design IMO is a bit more specific and less utilitarian in overall uses as say a parang when it comes to my own specific needs.  I use my current parang as a jungle chopper, and use it as a large splitter for quartering or mostly halving carcasses.  The design in just a bit more utilitarian but less sexy looking.  My current Condor has seen some serious abuse with cutting a lot of good sized waiawi and it doesn't even shrug at it.  It will also split a pig in half down the spine like it is nothing.  I hope to split a cow with it soon and I think it will perform equally well.     

CKRT are very good mid range or budget knives.

Surf

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2016, 11:38:59 PM »
Another brand that I've been wanting to try is Zero Tolerance.  They are pretty pricey though.  I have a few similar Kershaws that are assisted openers.
I dig the ZT knives, have one, three or four and picked one up recently from a member here to match a rifle build for a knife / rifle set.  I don't carry any of them however on a regular basis.

whynow?

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »
Here's a pic of mine.

C:\Users\lwy21\Pictures\2016-06-24\P1000241.JPG

drck1000

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 09:19:16 AM »
The Nimravus is really a good knife.  As you mention, slim, lightweight and great ergos, excellent steel, nice design as fighter or just a utility.  A custom kydex belt sheath with your carry mode or cant makes it ideal.

The Becker knives just feel good in the hand.  Great feel to the grip, but the standard grip texture may need a bit of help.  Grip mods or aftermarket grips makes them pretty much perfect.  Great steel.

I get my Benchmades when they run certain discount specials for qualified buyers, so I am a fan of that. 

The Kukri design is very good.  Leverage via the design in regards to weight and angle of the blade is excellent.  A good design and Kukri is awesome for certain uses, but the design IMO is a bit more specific and less utilitarian in overall uses as say a parang when it comes to my own specific needs.  I use my current parang as a jungle chopper, and use it as a large splitter for quartering or mostly halving carcasses.  The design in just a bit more utilitarian but less sexy looking.  My current Condor has seen some serious abuse with cutting a lot of good sized waiawi and it doesn't even shrug at it.  It will also split a pig in half down the spine like it is nothing.  I hope to split a cow with it soon and I think it will perform equally well.     

CKRT are very good mid range or budget knives.
A Filipino couple does my dad's yard and the guy has a parang.  I was chatting with the lady one time and the guy was trimming branches into smaller, more manageable segments.  He was making SUPER QUICK work of branches that I normally would be using a saw.  He was damn handy with that steel for sure!   :o  I wouldn't want to be the one who messes with him when he has that blade in hand for sure!  Slice and dice! 

One good thing about CRKT is that I don't feel bad about using and pretty much abusing.  I mean all of my knives are tools and I would have no problems using any, just that the pricing of the CRKT blades make them less painful to replace.  Not like the Benchmades that I have. 

drck1000

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »
I have 2 Spyderco knives. One is a full see endure as my work knife with a custom handle I made and the other i somewhat of a collectors edition, a glow in the dark handle run made for bladeforums.com users. That one remains in the box as I haven't decided whether to keep it as a possible collectors item or use it. I have been happy with all Spydercos I have owned to date. Forgot to mention I did buy my wife a med size spyderco as well. I also have a spyderco salt which is basically impervious to rust. And yes, based on the claim that it is completely rust proof, people have tried everything to get it to rust without success. Does't hold the best edge but it is rust proof, not rust resistant.
My dad has a bunch of Spydercos.  He has one limited edition one that he brought back from Japan.  He gave it to me and it does seem different than the other Spydercos that he and I have. 

drck1000

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
Here's a pic of mine.

I've been wanting to try one of those kerambit (sp?) blades.  What do you find them useful for?  As in better than traditional blades. 

I have a Spyderco that is very similar to the one on the right, except the body is brushed metal.  Very nice and holds an edge really well! 

Q

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 10:45:53 AM »
The Kukri design is very good.

whynow?

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »
I've been wanting to try one of those kerambit (sp?) blades.  What do you find them useful for?  As in better than traditional blades. 

I have a Spyderco that is very similar to the one on the right, except the body is brushed metal.  Very nice and holds an edge really well!
The curved style blade is supposed to be for cutting/slashing instead of stabbing.  To me that blade is a defensive blade meant to stop an attack, by blood loss/ disabling a tendon or muscle. 
The plain blade knife just has an all plastic body including clip which has held up for about 16 yrs.   Normally just clip to pants pocket.    The stainless body one like you have is the police model.   Would have got that if had the funds back then.

drck1000

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
The curved style blade is supposed to be for cutting/slashing instead of stabbing.  To me that blade is a defensive blade meant to stop an attack, by blood loss/ disabling a tendon or muscle. 
The plain blade knife just has an all plastic body including clip which has held up for about 16 yrs.   Normally just clip to pants pocket.    The stainless body one like you have is the police model.   Would have got that if had the funds back then.
I've read some about the kerambits, but that was a while ago.  Just wondering about what people who own them think.  One thing I remember is the finger loop/ring, which I've seen on some folders and the fixed ones seem to have it.  It would help retain the blade if things get "messy". 

This is a pic from the internet, but basically the same except for "Seki City" on the base of the blade (same as yours).  It's a very smooth knife and very compact.  No idea on the price as my dad bought it in Japan around 1990 or so. 

drck1000

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
Bowie probably wouldn't approve of this either. . .

whynow?

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:47 PM »
Bowie probably wouldn't approve of this either. . .

Open carry that at Ala Moana Mall.

drck1000

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2016, 07:59:19 AM »
Open carry that at Ala Moana Mall.
That's Khal Drogo's blade (Game of Thrones).   ;)

oldfart

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:10 AM »
That's Khal Drogo's blade (Game of Thrones).   ;)
===========
doesn't that remind you of the raptor claw in jurassic park?
What, Me Worry?