Knives - What Are Your Preferences? (Read 126372 times)

drck1000

Re: Knives - What Are Your Preferences?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2016, 08:07:16 AM »
===========
doesn't that remind you of the raptor claw in jurassic park?
I guess. . .  ???

;D

Q

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2016, 02:50:04 AM »
===========
doesn't that remind you of the raptor claw in jurassic park?

It's based on an Egyptian design

Q

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2016, 02:51:48 AM »
Bowie probably wouldn't approve of this either. . .

Jim Bowie shits on karambits and kukris.

Jim Bowie approves of Khal Drogo and his wheat sickle.

stangzilla

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
this is a Boker Arbolito El Gigante . 14.5" overall. 9" blade
made in Argentina N695 steel.  wood grip
the sheath it came with is really nice

drck1000

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2016, 08:34:23 AM »
this is a Boker Arbolito El Gigante . 14.5" overall. 9" blade
made in Argentina N695 steel.  wood grip
the sheath it came with is really nice

Nice blade and great sheath!   :thumbsup:

I now have at least a few blades that have 440C steel, which I understand is very similar to N695.  Or something like 440C is N690 and N695 adds a couple of elements mixed in.

How has the edge held up?  What I've read, the N695 holds a "wicked edge". 

stangzilla

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2016, 04:01:40 PM »
Nice blade and great sheath!   :thumbsup:

I now have at least a few blades that have 440C steel, which I understand is very similar to N695.  Or something like 440C is N690 and N695 adds a couple of elements mixed in.

How has the edge held up?  What I've read, the N695 holds a "wicked edge".

I haven't really tested this blade, but I have others with 440C and its a really good steel
there are better, but the 440C is good for what I want it to do
edge can get really sharp

Bushido

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »
What are your preferences for knives?

General question as I have a buddy in TN that makes custom knives.  He started producing and selling a couple of years ago and he's gotten quite good.  His blades are good quality, from what I can tell, and they seem decently priced.  He's started making "Damascus" blades and I've always meant to get him started on one for me.  I have a few now, but they were ones that he either made on his own or I bought from an idea from another.  While I want a custom knife, I can't seem to settle on what I'd want.  I generally see knives for other people and I'm like "wow!  that's a cool blade!"

I also understand that the blade shape depends on use, and frankly I don't use knives that much in my daily routine.  Even my pocket knife is pretty much a box opener.  Anyways, I just wanted to get ideas on what some people's preferences are.

Here are a few that I've thought about as starting point for a custom blade.

Sorry didn't read through all the comments but do you have a website to your friends knives? Particularly the damascus blades? I was looking at a guy that does custom work on FB.

My EDC right now is a Spyderco serated that is beat to hell. I have a bunch of folders and all get used on the daily.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
I haven't really tested this blade, but I have others with 440C and its a really good steel
there are better, but the 440C is good for what I want it to do
edge can get really sharp

440C is sort of like the baseline for super steels. It performs great and is priced well. It isn't quite as good as a lot of other new exotic steels but it performs very well as a knife steel.

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2016, 07:30:43 AM »
Sorry didn't read through all the comments but do you have a website to your friends knives? Particularly the damascus blades? I was looking at a guy that does custom work on FB.

My EDC right now is a Spyderco serated that is beat to hell. I have a bunch of folders and all get used on the daily.
He occasionally posts some on another board.  I'll send you the link via PM. 

He might post some on a local board, but I've never browsed there.  He also does some bartering with some other guys.  One is a leather sheath maker and they'll partner up and then the leather sheath guy will post on etsy.  The leather sheath guy looks like he does some great work. 

drck1000

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
These are two Damascus blades that he's made previously that I am looking at either getting one of the same or very similar.  For the second/lower one, I like the general shape and finger guard, but am thinking probably a little larger. 

ETA: Yeah, I know.  Jim Bowie doesn't approve.  ;D

macsak

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2016, 04:48:41 PM »
These are two Damascus blades that he's made previously that I am looking at either getting one of the same or very similar.  For the second/lower one, I like the general shape and finger guard, but am thinking probably a little larger. 

those are bad ass!

Q

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »

Jim Bowie has no quarrel with this.

It shall make a fine gift for your daughter

drck1000

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
Jim Bowie has no quarrel with this.

It shall make a fine gift for your daughter
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Love that movie! 

drck1000

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2016, 08:48:18 AM »
those are bad ass!

If you're interested, I "know a guy".   ;D

drck1000

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »
Was cleaning up around the house and came across this blade.  I bought it in a group by probably 5 years ago hasn't been used.  Forgot I even had it. 

It's razor sharp and is a hefty blade.  Last time I used it was on an overnight fishing trip with friends. 

Heavies

« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
Was cleaning up around the house and came across this blade.  I bought it in a group by probably 5 years ago hasn't been used.  Forgot I even had it. 

It's razor sharp and is a hefty blade.  Last time I used it was on an overnight fishing trip with friends. 

That's is a nice blade.  ESEE is one that I considered for EDC too.  You had to get the scales seperate? I think that was the reason I went with the Bradford.

Heavies

« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2016, 10:33:45 AM »

I like those, those are beautiful!

I like the top for utility, the bottom for looks....

drck1000

« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
That's is a nice blade.  ESEE is one that I considered for EDC too.  You had to get the scales seperate? I think that was the reason I went with the Bradford.
The scales is how it was offered.  While I would like something with a little more traction, it's not too bad. 

I very much like the shape and scales of the Bradfords.  My wallet doesn't seem to like the pricing on those very much though.   :(

I like those, those are beautiful!

I like the top for utility, the bottom for looks....
I am waiting to see what the guy has coming back from heat treat.  Should be back in the next week or so.  If I don't like what he has currently in the pipeline, I'm going to get him to start on a larger version of the bottom one.  The one in the pic is a 4" blade and 9" OAL.  He had already drawn up the pattern for larger versions and I'm likely going to go with the 6" blade and 12" OAL.  Though the 4 3/4" blade and 10" OAL is making it very tempting to get both.  With custom leather sheathes (a guy he barters with makes those), these go for around $180-220ish.  I would go with a basic leather sheath, which would cut down the cost just a little bit. 

drck1000

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
I've got a larger version of this one currently in the pipeline.  He's grinding the blade now and will be a heat treat soon.  I went with a 6" blade and 12" OAL.  Have to decide on the scales and a sheath.  I'm thinking of a simple leather sheath to go with wood scales for a more classic look. 

drck1000

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
My new blade and sheath finally came in.  They are from separate makers, so it took a while.  I couldn't be happier.  The blade maker added some touches, like the liners, that I am really happy with.  I will likely be commissioning another when he gets more of the raw billet in.  Here are some pics.