Knives - What Are Your Preferences? (Read 126369 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: Knives - What Are Your Preferences?
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »
He does nice work and the sheath looks great too!

davgdavg

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »
That first Benchmade is a pretty hard to improve on shape for general survival use. I have a Busse that is pretty much the same shape, probably a little better steel.

If your friend makes a parang let me know!

drck1000

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2016, 02:12:54 PM »
That first Benchmade is a pretty hard to improve on shape for general survival use. I have a Busse that is pretty much the same shape, probably a little better steel.

If your friend makes a parang let me know!
I can ask. Do you have a specific pattern/dimensions in mind? If not, will need to provide a rough sketch or dimensions. Depending on how specific design you have in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davgdavg

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
I can ask. Do you have a specific pattern/dimensions in mind? If not, will need to provide a rough sketch or dimensions. Depending on how specific design you have in mind.

Not really anything too particular, I guess just something around 20-22 inches, 5/32 thick or a little less and good balance. Would be interested in how much something like that might cost from a custom maker. :shaka:

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »

Not really anything too particular, I guess just something around 20-22 inches, 5/32 thick or a little less and good balance. Would be interested in how much something like that might cost from a custom maker. :shaka:

I have never done a parang but I would be willing to try. I would estimate the price about $100-$150 depending on what type of steel you want and how pretty you want it (parings are often rough finished)

drck1000

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »

Message me if you're serious. He's a real nice guy, but he can be a grumpy man from Tennessee at times. Haha

stangzilla

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2017, 08:12:58 AM »
just got this off ebay.
Boker Wildcat karambit.
blade is D2 steel, with G10 grips.  opening with the flipper is super smooth and fast with the ball bearing. fits great in my hand.  really well made knife.   :thumbsup:

stangzilla

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
using up my amazon gift card from Christmas, I got the top knife:
CRKT M16 big dog!
3.75" AUS8 blade, 9.25 overall length.  adjusted the tension screw on the blade, now it opens smooth like butter!

drck1000

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
using up my amazon gift card from Christmas, I got the top knife:
CRKT M16 big dog!
3.75" AUS8 blade, 9.25 overall length.  adjusted the tension screw on the blade, now it opens smooth like butter!

I have this CRKT from Amazon a few years ago.  It's super smooth to open with those flipper tabs.  Haven't really used it much because I prefer to carry blade-tip up and the flippers on that knife makes that, well, a hassle.  Otherwise, it's a decent knife, especially for the price. 

just got this off ebay.
Boker Wildcat karambit.
blade is D2 steel, with G10 grips.  opening with the flipper is super smooth and fast with the ball bearing. fits great in my hand.  really well made knife.   :thumbsup:

I've been looking for a decent fixed karambit for a while.  One of my buddies is an Escrima instructor and when I visited him last in Guam, he got me super interested in karambits.  I've been interested in the Boker brand as well.  How do you like the Boker so far? 

stangzilla

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
the CRKT that I have, you can move the pocket clip to any of the 4 edges of the grips
the knife came with the pocket clip on the other end, but I moved it to where I like it better

that Boker is a pretty sweet little karambit folder, but cannot move the pocket clip.

drck1000

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
the CRKT that I have, you can move the pocket clip to any of the 4 edges of the grips
the knife came with the pocket clip on the other end, but I moved it to where I like it better

that Boker is a pretty sweet little karambit folder, but cannot move the pocket clip.
I can move the pocket clip, but the flipper on mine is both sides of the blade.  Makes it tough to have that side down in your pocket. 

stangzilla

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
I can move the pocket clip, but the flipper on mine is both sides of the blade.  Makes it tough to have that side down in your pocket. 

ok.  I see now.

stangzilla

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
couple of Ruger CRKT knives I got recently
bottom one is a Hollow Point+P.  nice looking knife with Ruger emblem on the G10 handle. flipper and adjustable pocket clip for 2 positions for tip up or down.
top one is a Stage2.  it is a heavy knife, with a thick blade, looks and feels very sturdy.  4 point adjustable pocket clip for tip up or down.  both come in a tip up configuration.  I really like the Stage2's pocket clip, its big enough to clip around a 1.5" belt.  I like the ability to clip to a belt sometimes, but mostly I like to carry in the pocket for complete concealment.

drck1000

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Thinking of getting one of these. Also looking at Bradford.

https://flagrantbeard.com/shopping/knives/flagrant-forerunner-plain-edge/

Drakiir84

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
I carry a utility folder for everyday cutting tasks and a fixed blade in a kydex sheath for cutting cheesecake..... or people.  Pictured is a Kershaw Blur and Bawidamann Skraeling.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:33:23 AM by Drakiir84 »
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2018, 08:09:01 AM »
I carry a utility folder for everyday cutting tasks and a fixed blade in a kydex sheath for cutting cheesecake..... or people.  Pictured is a Kershaw Blur and Bawidamann Skraeling.

I have that same Kershaw Blur. Haven’t really used it tho. I got it on a group buy many years ago. Got one for me and one for my dad. He used this quite a bit and the texturing on the sides started to peel off. Minor, but didn’t expect that. I like Kershaw as they aren’t pricey, at least most of them, so I don’t feel bad using and abusing. Most are really glorified box cutters.

Drakiir84

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
I have that same Kershaw Blur. Haven’t really used it tho. I got it on a group buy many years ago. Got one for me and one for my dad. He used this quite a bit and the texturing on the sides started to peel off. Minor, but didn’t expect that. I like Kershaw as they aren’t pricey, at least most of them, so I don’t feel bad using and abusing. Most are really glorified box cutters.

Absolutely, this is my 3rd blur (lost the first one, gave the second away).  I've been carrying Kershaws since I was a freshman in high school.  Great affordable knives for everyday use.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2018, 09:11:47 AM »
Looking to pick up a nice blade or two.  Sort of a gift to myself after getting through one hell of a past month. Looking for a nicer folder and possibly a fixed blade.

For the folder, I’m looking closely Zero Tolerance. I’m also interested in medium to higher end blades like Strider or other not as main stream brands. Any suggestions welcome.

For fixed blades, I’ve been looking at Flagrant Beard and Bradford for a while. I could also commission another custom blade from a friend in TN. I’ve posted pics of his work here. I have a nice Damascus one, but I’m thinking something more basic.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »
Looking to pick up a nice blade or two.  Sort of a gift to myself after getting through one hell of a past month. Looking for a nicer folder and possibly a fixed blade.

For the folder, I’m looking closely Zero Tolerance. I’m also interested in medium to higher end blades like Strider or other not as main stream brands. Any suggestions welcome.

What is your price range? Based on your interest in Strider, I'm guessing around $500?

For a little cheaper than Strider, Hinderer makes some awesome knives.

drck1000

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:05 PM »
What is your price range? Based on your interest in Strider, I'm guessing around $500?

For a little cheaper than Strider, Hinderer makes some awesome knives.
Yeah, I’m down for around $500. If I come across something I REALLY like, maybe a little more.