Police shooting video ***New video on Page 2*** (Read 20783 times)

zippz

Police shooting video ***New video on Page 2***
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »
UPDATE:  Discuss a new video on page 2 https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=26941.msg252478#msg252478
Here's another video of a shooting in NJ following a 10 mile chase.  Skip to 11:00 on the video.  Things I got out of this is:
1.  Make use of cover.
2.  Guarantee your shots (no misses)
3.  Don't let adrenaline take control of you.

March 13, 2017 Video 1:
Friend posted this on Facebook.  Justified or not? call it before shots are fired, not knowing anything else.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:54:08 PM by zippz »
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

Re: Police shooting video
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »
Damn.  If he were black, this would be all over the news.

Jl808

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
[spoiler]
As he was coming out of his car, he looked like he was pulling something out of his 4:00. When he brought his hands together on something black, it looked very much like he was going to shooter ready position.

Unfortunately, it appears that he actually drawing out his wallet?  Poor guy.

Don't blame the cop though.  It did look like he may have been drawing a gun to shoot.
[/spoiler]
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
I don't understand the problem people have understanding they ALWAY ALWAYS ALWAYS remain in the vehicle unless the officer instructs you to get out.

If you have a Cop behind you with the lights flashing, stay in the vehicle. 

Maybe we need cat videos that play out public service announcements so people will actually watch them and learn important lessons to live by.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

G35soldier

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:21 PM »
Police shootings didn't draw alot of attention back when this happened (2014). Had this been recent I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten out of the car.

zippz

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
Most people don't know to stay inside their car because they were never told so and most law abiding people don't interact much with the police.  Gun owners may have learned this from a concealed carry class.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »
Most people don't know to stay inside their car because they were never told so and most law abiding people don't interact much with the police.  Gun owners may have learned this from a concealed carry class.

NC is looking at adding this to their driver's ed classes.  Hopefully that also makes the material part of the license exam.

Since we have to take a hands-on driving test for a license, why not include a police stop?  "You just noticed a police car behind you with their lights on.  Demonstrate what you'd do."  The examiner can talk through the steps and make sure the student reacts properly to the situation:  hands in plain sight, no sudden movements, no reaching for anything until asked for it, remaining in the car, ... 

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/34668799/what-to-do-when-pulled-over-a-new-chapter-for-drivers-ed
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:21:26 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »
Maybe we need cat videos that play out public service announcements so people will actually watch them and learn important lessons to live by.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 07:25:47 AM »
That cat psa is pretty darn funny
What, Me Worry?

Inspector

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 09:26:19 AM »
That cat psa is pretty darn funny
You should know, you gave it to me!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »

^^^This.  But the cop has to know this info also as well as trained on it.  So unless there was a call for someone discharging or brandishing a gun and that suspect matches this guys car, the cop shouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger.  I side with cop shootings 95% of the time.

Our Nevada CCW instructor told us not to stick your hands out the window.  Because that's what parole officers tell parolees to do.  So if you do that in NV, the officer will automatically assume you're on parole.  So keep your hands on the steering wheel or dash in view followed by this statement: " Officer, I have my CCW permit and have a firearm located at X o'clock on myself.  I am ready to follow your commands.  What do you want me to do?"

Got him out of all his tickets so far because he was honest.  Didn't even have to disarm himself.  Officer just told him to not make any sudden movements.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 05:25:10 PM »
^^^This.  But the cop has to know this info also as well as trained on it.  So unless there was a call for someone discharging or brandishing a gun and that suspect matches this guys car, the cop shouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger.  I side with cop shootings 95% of the time.

Our Nevada CCW instructor told us not to stick your hands out the window.  Because that's what parole officers tell parolees to do.  So if you do that in NV, the officer will automatically assume you're on parole.  So keep your hands on the steering wheel or dash in view followed by this statement: " Officer, I have my CCW permit and have a firearm located at X o'clock on myself.  I am ready to follow your commands.  What do you want me to do?"

Got him out of all his tickets so far because he was honest.  Didn't even have to disarm himself.  Officer just told him to not make any sudden movements.

A more subtle way to inform a Cop you are armed is to hand him your CCW permit along with your license.  He'll then ask, "Are you carrying right now?"  If so, he'll tell you to keep your hands where he can see them.  If he's jumpy or has reason to think there's more going on, he might ask you to step out so he can take the weapon out of the holster.  What you don't do is reach toward the gun yourself.  Cross your arms, grip the steering wheel -- whatever it takes to keep your hands away from your waist.

I have an ID holder to put my license and permit in.  Then I can present them together without having to say, "I have a gun!"  :)

CCW or not, remain calm, don't ask a bunch of questions, and make sure you keep your license away from your holster.  If you happen to have your license and wallet in a pants pocket, that's when you need to inform the Cop what the deal is.  Listen carefully and obey all directions.

-- Melvin Udall

bass monkey

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
Dispatch sent an officer out to a reckless driver call.
That's what the officer knew

London808

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »
[spoiler]
As he was coming out of his car, he looked like he was pulling something out of his 4:00. When he brought his hands together on something black, it looked very much like he was going to shooter ready position.

Unfortunately, it appears that he actually drawing out his wallet?  Poor guy.

Don't blame the cop though.  It did look like he may have been drawing a gun to shoot.
[/spoiler]

This is spot on, guys elbow came up like he was drawing a firearm, was in a rush to get out of the car, drew his hands together with a black object in them. Got shot.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

zippz

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
http://www.wtvm.com/story/34709368/dashcam-video-opelika-police-cleared-of-wrongdoing-in-2014-officer-involved-shooting

It was a police office responding to a routine traffic incident.  Driver has trouble getting out of the car and has a black wallet in his hands which look like a gun.  Even more so he he grabs it with both hands facing the officer. To me it's a justified, but unfortunate, shooting.  The officers should have order the driver to stay in the car, stop, or freeze before saying show me your hands.  But it's difficult under a stressful situation.  Police officers initially treat all road stops as an armed driver.

I just put this out for people to realize that it's easy to shoot an innocent person in a self defense or active shooter situation.  If you're at a shopping mall and you hear shots fired and people running and screaming.  You can mistake a cell phone for a gun, ccw or undercover LE for the shooter, etc.  Or on the other hand if see the bad guy but mistake them for an innocent or take too long, you can get shot.  So damned if you do shoot, damned if you don't shoot.

This is why scenario training is good to have.

whynow?

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:28 PM »
Friend posted this on Facebook.  Justified or not? call it before shots are fired, not knowing anything else.

To me, decision whether LE was justified in the shoot is if an armed civilian pulled the trigger when seeing a black object in the hand of someone facing them like this, would stand in court.  In many instances, the regular citizen or victim is the actual first responder.
Truck driver was lucky, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rocky

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
To me, decision whether LE was justified in the shoot is if an armed civilian pulled the trigger when seeing a black object in the hand of someone facing them like this, would stand in court.  In many instances, the regular citizen or victim is the actual first responder.
Truck driver was lucky, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Agreed. And the civie has no training.

You all know I love my PoPo but again I ask what was the hurry ?
Dark, Rainy and cop still behind hard cover not to mention the truck driver who looks in line of fire.
I know, Monday morning QB.

How about another PO behind hard cover and takes what must have been a 100 ft shot.
Nice shot, but  :oops: :oops: :oops:
https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/380568006-Video-of-fatal-NC-police-shooting-of-man-holding-rifle-released/
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

zippz

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
How about another PO behind hard cover and takes what must have been a 100 ft shot.
Nice shot, but  :oops: :oops: :oops:
https://www.policeone.com/Officer-Safety/articles/380568006-Video-of-fatal-NC-police-shooting-of-man-holding-rifle-released/

About 75 feet, difficult shot for most.

Difficult to judge.  You don't want to shoot unless you really have to, but at the same time you want to be the first one to take a shot, not the second. 

RSN172

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 08:15:26 AM »

Front Sight recommends NOT volunteering information that you have a CCW permit or are carrying unless you are asked to step out of the car.  They recommend already having your driver license and registration in your hand on the steering wheel, driver window down and turn on interior lights at night.  On a routine stop you will not be asked to step out of the car. 

A few years ago, one state had highway patrol carrying bullet proof 10"x16" clipboards that could stop a .357 mag. Getting back to the OP question, yes I would have shot.

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »
Hpd should produce a 30 second PSA for TV broadcast.
What, Me Worry?