Limbsaver Bull Barrel Deresonator (Barrel Tuner) (Read 20501 times)

esk808

Re: Limbsaver Bull Barrel Deresonator (Barrel Tuner)
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
The bull is cheaper than the standard.

Yes, I saw that.........................

Inspector

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »
Got the Annie to the range today with a good supply of ammo. I tested from 50 yards today. I seasoned the barrel before shooting each grouping except with the old .22 ammo. It was very windy today so testing is a bit suspect. I waited until the wind died down before I let off the shot. But there was a time when the wind did not stop so I let off shots anyway. And I was impressed with the grouping from the Eley Target Yellow Box with the wind blowing. I will attach some photos and you will see left to right stringing which means the wind got to the boolit. Also, I forgot the method with which to best bench rest this gun so I had some testing to do in order to get the best consistency.

I started off with SK Standard + and I used this ammo for testing the best methodology for bench resting my Annie. After I figured it out I shot a 5 round group but I was not impressed with it. For the first time I found this ammo does not shoot as well as I would hope in the Anschutz. It shoots okay but not as well as it does in my Kidd's. I did not include a photo of this group. My next group shot was with SK Rifle Match. I had a suspicion this was a good ammo for this gun from previous testing. As you see from the photo this ammo grouped the best. The next ammo was Eley Target Yellow Box which grouped well even with the left to right stringing. I suspect it will shoot similarly to the SK Rifle Match. I brought a selection of obsolete .22 ammo from various manufacturers just to see the results. I always wondered how the old stuff shot in the Anschutz when I was shooting it back in the early 70's. The rest of the photos show how the old .22 ammo grouped. I did not season the barrel for these groups.

Overall I am happy with the way the barrel tuner is working. It is not a miracle product but it does help prevent flyers as I was getting without it. This tuner is a permanent fixture on my Anschutz.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

esk808

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »
Good analysis.  The old ammo testing is good if you have a large stash of it, or did you just test the old ammo for old times sake?

I've been getting mixed results with the SK Standard + also.  My Anschutz 64 action & Kidd 10/22 groups are nothing
to be proud of.

The SK Rifle Match (red) looks really good.  Where did you get this? 

Got my Limbsaver for the bull barrel from Amazon today.  Will try it out on my Annie this weekend.  Will try to analyze
SK Standard+ and Eley Target (yellow) very carefully............

Inspector

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
Good analysis.  The old ammo testing is good if you have a large stash of it, or did you just test the old ammo for old times sake?

I've been getting mixed results with the SK Standard + also.  My Anschutz 64 action & Kidd 10/22 groups are nothing
to be proud of.

The SK Rifle Match (red) looks really good.  Where did you get this? 

Got my Limbsaver for the bull barrel from Amazon today.  Will try it out on my Annie this weekend.  Will try to analyze
SK Standard+ and Eley Target (yellow) very carefully............
I got the SK Rifle Match at Prime Sports. It was $90/brick. A little pricey but worth it to me the way it shoots. I think the Eley Target has the capability to shoot similarly but it was too hard to tell because of the wind. If you take the L to R stringing out of the results I got it looks like the group would be similar to the SK Rifle Match.

I tested the old ammo for a couple of reasons. First, I collect old .22 boxes and I want to put them on display. Some of the old boxes of ammo I have, I have to dispose of the ammo because it is no good any more. The problem is the old ammo just deteriorates and I hate to waste anything. The other side of this is if I ever decide to sell the boxes to someone on the mainland or transport them to the mainland I have to get rid of the ammo anyway. So shooting the old ammo out of my old gun just seemed to make sense for whatever reason. Besides just my being nostalgic. :love: :love: :love:

Next weeks testing will be the Kidd's without the barrel tuner but with the chronograph. Stay tuned.

esk808

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 07:52:42 PM »

I put the Limbsaver on my Anschutz Thumbhole Rifle that I got from the Anschutz North America website with an 18" barrel.

I can say that it has made an improvement with it on, versus with it off. 

My experience has shown that the Limbsaver's does improve shot-stringing, but not as much as I hoped.
I tried it these past 2 weekends with Eley Target (Yellow), SK Standard +, and Norma TAC-22.

SK and Eley were so-so, but Norma TAC-22 really showed improvement shooting WITH the Limbsaver...

Have to try it with other types of target ammo, so see if I can improve its performance.
The type of ammo will also make a difference.....

If your rifle shoots "average", then maybe experimenting with a Limbsaver is a cheap project of about $8.00....
It might make a difference with your rifle.

Inspector

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 08:22:49 PM »
I put the Limbsaver on my Anschutz Thumbhole Rifle that I got from the Anschutz North America website with an 18" barrel.

I can say that it has made an improvement with it on, versus with it off. 

My experience has shown that the Limbsaver's does improve shot-stringing, but not as much as I hoped.
I tried it these past 2 weekends with Eley Target (Yellow), SK Standard +, and Norma TAC-22.

SK and Eley were so-so, but Norma TAC-22 really showed improvement shooting WITH the Limbsaver...

Have to try it with other types of target ammo, so see if I can improve its performance.
The type of ammo will also make a difference.....

If your rifle shoots "average", then maybe experimenting with a Limbsaver is a cheap project of about $8.00....
It might make a difference with your rifle.
Your results are similar to mine. I am glad I decided to try this because if I had bought the micrometer type for $100+ and it didn't help I would be a little upset. Now I know I can buy the better type and it will help. How much more than this $8 Limbsaver remains to be seen. But I think the $8 was a good investment prior to taking the big plunge.

Thanks for trying this out as I now know I am not the only one who this worked for.

esk808

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »
Inspector,

I think we have shown that this works to a certain extent, but not as much as we hoped for.

If you take the next step to the Harrell Tuner, they have it at Killough's.  Read about it there, and then order it from Harrell.

Get it from Harrell's itself, and they don't charge you $15 to bore it out to your barrel's exact diameter.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403

https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/tuners.html

Killough's doesn't have the additional weights, but if you go to the source, Riverside Machine, they have the set available.

https://www.riversidemachine.net/ecommerce/shooting/tuner-weights.html

The Harrell Tuner is more exact as it has a micrometer-like mechanism to extend the weights outward from the barrel.
The additional weights can be used in combination to vary the weight at the end of the tuner.

(I have this setup on my Kidd 10/22)

Inspector

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 04:28:50 AM »
Inspector,

I think we have shown that this works to a certain extent, but not as much as we hoped for.

If you take the next step to the Harrell Tuner, they have it at Killough's.  Read about it there, and then order it from Harrell.

Get it from Harrell's itself, and they don't charge you $15 to bore it out to your barrel's exact diameter.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403

https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/index.php/tuners.html

Killough's doesn't have the additional weights, but if you go to the source, Riverside Machine, they have the set available.

https://www.riversidemachine.net/ecommerce/shooting/tuner-weights.html

The Harrell Tuner is more exact as it has a micrometer-like mechanism to extend the weights outward from the barrel.
The additional weights can be used in combination to vary the weight at the end of the tuner.

(I have this setup on my Kidd 10/22)
ESK808,

Thanks for the links and advice as to where best to get the Harrell Tuner. I will be getting one for my Annie. The next test for the limbsaver will be on my 2 Kidd 10/22's. I am especially interested in how it works on my lightweight build.

Mahalo  :shaka: :shaka: :shaka:

rklapp

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 10:06:03 PM »
It has arrived!

$6.54 as an Amazon Add On item.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

esk808

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
 :D  Yay !!

Tell us how it works for you ...............

Inspector

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »
It has arrived!

$6.54 as an Amazon Add On item.
Tell us RK, what gun are you going to try this on?

rklapp

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »
I figured I'd try it on my AR15 since it has no muzzle break.

esk808

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »
I figured I'd try it on my AR15 since it has no muzzle break.

I'll keep my eye out for an AR with a Limbsaver at Kokohead................... :D

ren

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 04:03:02 PM »
there's a reason why match ARs and DMRs are free floated
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 04:52:22 PM »
It's cheap and probably won't blow my face off, so why not?  :o    8)

Inspector

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »
there's a reason why match ARs and DMRs are free floated
Ren, you are showing your black (gun) bias!!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Inspector

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 07:09:27 PM »
It's cheap and probably won't blow my face off, so why not?  :o    8)
I am interested to see if it does anything for your AR. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do much of anything.

ren

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
I'm stating what is true.
The AR/M16 platform has been around for decades and made its way in shooting competitions all over. Free floated barrels, 2 stage triggers were all developed over the years to make it an accurate rifle. In short, the development has been done and mods that worked are what you see today. i.e. handguards that float the barrel, 2 stage triggers. things that didn't work you don't see marketed or on match ARs. I'm not on the level of many competitive shooters but did my share of traveling and chasing leg points. On the competitive circuit the rifles I see are common across the board. A good barrel that is floated, 2 stage triggers and now with optics - scope bases that are optimized for good stock weld i.e. the Geissele "NM" mount. They all have a common theme. They work. You won't see a Limbsaver deresonator on John Holliger's or Frank White's websites. I doubt you will find one in the AMU's shop or any other service's shop.
The same is with loads for the AR/M16. They are proven loads out there and serve as a baseline. I didn't develop these loads but have shot them through many AR barrels from Wilsons, Douglas and my current one - a Shilen. If my groups were bad they always came back to me - the shooter. So I troubleshoot my position and other possible inconsistencies. The last thing I want to do is cover my mistakes with more gadgets.
To be frank, RK's quest to find a good load is hampered by his platform and shooting position as I opined. There are so many variables that he changes every time he posts results. From target background color, scope height, and I'm guessing shooting position.
I try to help out people at the range. Some people listen some people don't. One example is the placement of the spotting scope AFTER setting up your shooting position. A shooter with a spotting scope way over on the other side of the table wonders why his/her groups are all over the place because they break their shooting position to see a shot or one group. I was that person till I listened to other shooters.
I'm just paying it forward.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 02:06:44 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

rklapp

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
To be frank, RK's quest to find a good load is hampered by his platform and shooting position as I opined. There are so many variables that he changes every time he posts results. From target background color, scope height, and I'm guessing shooting position.
I agree. That has more to do with my ADHD style of precision shooting. I'm easily distracted by shiny objects dangled in front of me.

I wouldn't say that my quest was to find a good load but rather find out what works best for my gear that is economical and doesn't get me looks of haughty derision from my wife.

ren

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »
I agree. That has more to do with my ADHD style of precision shooting. I'm easily distracted by shiny objects dangled in front of me.

I wouldn't say that my quest was to find a good load but rather find out what works best for my gear that is economical and doesn't get me looks of haughty derision from my wife.

Well at least you identified one component of your shooting problem - ADHD.
Now the next step is fixing it.
Deeds Not Words