WML comparison - Surefire / Could Defensive / Modlite (Read 3711 times)

Bota-CS1

WML comparison - Surefire / Could Defensive / Modlite
« on: May 14, 2020, 09:58:54 PM »
A light is the most important upgrade to a defensive use firearm.  The ability to positively ID your target in a low light/no light situation is invaluable.  With this in mind, this review isn’t a versus or comparison review to establish which light is better than the other.  The point is to show you the pros and cons of each and what their actual output looks like before deciding which one may best suit your needs.

First up is the “old horse” of the group, the Surefire M640DF.  The 640DF is the newest version of the venerable M600 line of lights made in Fountain Valley California.  Surefire has garnered a “hard use” reputation over the decades in the industry and is what many consider to be the yardstick by which all newcomers are measured against.  The 640 and 600DF both have the ability to utilize CR123 and rechargeable batteries.  This ability to use both power sources gives the light additional flexibility that the other lights don’t have.  Additionally the 640DF already comes with it’s own integrated mounting options.  The end user can choose between a picatinny adapter or an MLOK one.  This added flexibility is an incremental improvement by itself, but the hinge allows you to position exactly where you want it on the rail, all you need is a simple flathead screwdriver to make the adjustments.  Because Surefire has been around for so long, there’s tons of aftermarket support and accessories direct from the manufacturer and our LGS’.

Surefire M640 DF

Bezel: 1”
Length: 5.5”
Weight w/ Battery: 5.7 oz.
Body Construction: Aluminum
Output:
18650 – 1,500 Lumens
CR123A – 1,200 Lumens
Candela: 12,000 (rumored)
Runtime:
18650 – 1.5 hours
CR123A – 1.25 hours
Waterproof: ?
Cost: $299.00 on Amazon (for the black model)

PROS:
Takes CR123 and Rechargeable batteries
Integrated mounting system
Longest runtime
Lightest model at 5.7 oz.
Tons of accessories

CONS:
Unknown candela output, but the lowest amongst the three

Pro Review:

MrGunsandGear – Surefire M600DF
https://youtu.be/iDNqzix1y8o?t=15

Cloud Defensive is a veritable new kid on the block, but I think they have the right stuff.  The OWL is just a beast.  It’s a tank at a hefty 11 oz. it’s literally twice the weight of the Surefire.  Chonky, thicc, girthy are apt words to describe the light shaft (no homo).  Calm down Changemyoil.  That weight is not all bad since it allows the designers to do things with the body and head that the Surefire can’t do.  First off, it’s completely reversible.  You can swap the end cap and light head which are held in place by a very secure bearing lockup.  The activation button on the top is easy to reach and is much more tactile than the squishy Surefire pressure pads.  I’m pretty confident you could knock someone out with it if you hit them in the head with it.  The OWL uses a Borofloat glass lens, which comes with its detractors whom often say the glass is easier to break than the glass used in other weapon lights.  The OWL is also submersible up to 200 feet, not that I would recommend diving with it, but it would be the light I’d recommend you use if you wanted to get your SUP board back from Jaws.

Cloud Defensive OWL

Bezel: 1.25”
Length: 5.35”
Weight w/ Battery: 11 oz.
Body Construction: 6061-T6 aluminum
Output:
18650 – 1,250 Lumens
Candela: 50,000
Runtime:
18650 – 80 minutes
Waterproof: Yes (200 ft.)
Cost: $369.99 on Amazon (including charger and two batteries)

PROS:
Integrated mounting system (picatinny only)
Waterproof
Reversable

CONS:
Heavy

Pro Review:

Garand Thumg – Cloud Defensive OWL

Along with Cloud Defensive, Modlite is also a relative newcomer to the light industry.  In the short time the company has been in it has made quite the name for itself starting with the OKW.  Now, their current model is threatening to upset the apple cart so to speak.  There has always been a battle between spill and focused beam when it comes to lights.  In the past it was you got a good beam, but not that much spill light, or the complete opposite.  The PLHv2 appears to be a good blend of the two.  Similar to Surefire weapon mounted lights (WMLs), the Modlite uses and aluminum body that uses and end user supplied mounting platform.  In my case, I mounted it to the Unity Tactical Modbutton and light wing for comparisons sake.  As and aside, I have to say California you’ve got some great 2a companies, but your laws are completely idiotic.  The Modlite offers some flexibility in that it offers two body lengths, very much like the Surefire M300 and M600 series of lights are one cell and two cell designs.  You can pick up an 18350 body (one cell) or an 18650 (two cell) body depending on what configuration you want.  Modlite purposely designed all of it’s light bodies to take advantage of all the Surefire accessories out there, so you don’t have to worry about having to purchase a whole new set of pressure pads or clicky caps.  A win for the consumer in my opinion.

Modlite PLHV2

Bezel: 1.18”
Length: 5.25”
Weight w/ Battery: 7.5 oz
Body Construction: 6061-T6 aluminum
Output:
18650 – 1,350
Candela: 54,000
Run Time:
18650 – 75 minutes
Waterproof: ?
Cost: $330-$350 depending on what length body you chose.

PROS:
Highest Candela output

CONS:
Shortest run time

Pro Review:

Sage Dynamics – Modlite PLHv2

So here’s what this whole “review” has been leading to which is a real life example of all three in action.

From the picture I’m sure everyone can see that the Surefire had the most diffuse light, it’s light spill was good, but wasn’t very focused at range compared to the Modlite and Cloud Defensive.  The Modlite had a very distinct, well defined beam out to the tree at 86 yards.  I did this on a partly cloudy night under a gibbous moon.  I honestly don’t know what the hell monkeys have to do with different phases of the moon, but who knows.  I ranged the tree during the daytime with a pocket rangefinder and estimated the overall height of the tree by the height of the lowest branches from ground, which was around 5to 6 feet.

The pictures can’t really do the lights justice since the human eye is so much more sensitive than a camera lens.  The light from the Modlite was very clean, very white and sterile.  I would describe it as clinical.  The OWL is definitely in the yellow range of light and as a result the beam wasn’t as easy to distinguish against the clouds.  Hopefully by seeing these lights compared at the same time under the same conditions, you can decide for yourself which would be best suited for your needs.

The reason I didn’t test these inside is because all did a great job of umbrella lighting indoors.  All three are adequate in providing indoor lighting in a defensive scenario.  But for those of you that are lucky enough to be able to hunt coqui frogs (thanks Puerto Rico!), rats, or feral chickens at night outdoors, this may give you food for thought.

No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

changemyoil66

Re: WML comparison - Surefire / Could Defensive / Modlite
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 12:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the review and the nohomo.

Cloud was my 1st draft choice because im not a fan of ziptieing a wire to the handguard (surefire). But the weight is something to consider. My rifle is already heavy with the geiselle handguard.  Compared to mrs. Cmo's rifle which i shoot often enough to feel the weight difference.

The modlight looks good with that short wire and the lumination is a lot brighter.

Back to the drawing board.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk