Red dot suggestions (Read 3213 times)

causa mortis

Red dot suggestions
« on: September 12, 2020, 06:50:32 PM »
Hey everyone, just got my hands on a Glock 45 MOS and need help picking out the right red dot for it. I've narrowed my choices down to the Trijicon RMR, Burris Fastfire III and Vortex Venom. I'd like to hear from anyone that's used any of the ones I've listed and any alternatives. Price isn't really a factor. Thanks.

drck1000

Re: Red dot suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 07:26:56 PM »
I have two Glocks with Trijicon RMRs.  I actually am waiting for the RM06 to come up on a "good sale" again, then I'll have three. 

I don't own the other two.  I have shot with the Vortex Venom.  If price isn't a factor, I'd definitely go with the RMR.  From most of the online "gun guys", seems like RMR is the industry standard in terms of durability, being tried and true, and more. 

I've read great things about the Trijicon SRO (slightly pricier than the RMR) and the Holosun 507s.  Not on your list, but I've actually been wanting to try both.  Sagedynamics is one Youtube channel you should look up for handgun RDS, as well as Warrior Project (or something like that), which is some asian dude with a Russian/Czech/genershizzich type last name.  Those also share the same footprint as the RMR, so that compatibility is a benefit for me. 

Another thing to consider is holster options.  In my experience with RDS handguns as well as a bunch of my shooting buddies, holster choices can range from limited to "needing a lot of dremel" to fit since there is so much variety with RDS.  I can personally attest to the "needing a lot of dremel" with a couple of my Safariland holsters. 

stangzilla

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »
Holosun makes good stuff too
I have the 510c on a rifle and 507c GR on a pistol. Both are really good. Another option.

blastoff747

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 01:04:25 AM »
RMRs are okay.  Durable sight and crisp dot.  My problem is locating the dot.

I'm looking at the holosun 507c x2 with acss reticle next.  Solar power backup.  Chevron tip.

If you see the outside circle you are oriented wrong.  Quicker centering.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »
RMRs are okay.  Durable sight and crisp dot.  My problem is locating the dot.

I'm looking at the holosun 507c x2 with acss reticle next.  Solar power backup.  Chevron tip.

Sounds like you're "course correcting" on the draw, or at least in the last phases of your draw.  Try checking your natural point of aim, which includes your stance.  One of the instructors that I've been taking courses for a few years has embraced the RDS handgun and he's been a great help.  "Their way" includes being solid on NPA anyways in general, but I've found it really helped with handgun RDS.  If you find that you're often course correcting by way of the reticle, you'll be ingraining bad habits.  Sort of like learning to drive with bad wheel alignment. 

While instruction is on hold during COVID, check out SageDynamics and Tony Cowden for some good material on RDS handguns. 

zippz

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 11:16:07 AM »
I've been using the Sig Romeo 1 that came with my handgun.  It's been working good for me though I haven't tried any other handgun RMR.

I started using RMR's this year and had trouble lining up the dot at first too.  It's all fundamentals and repetition practice.  If you can draw and fire with iron sights with good 8 groups at 7 yards sub 1.5 second times, you're half way there.  Getting the gun out and automatically lining it up with the target is muscle memory regardless of the sights used.  The other half you have to improve on is fine tuning that and adjusting to the new sight picture of of the RMR, obscured sights, and slide.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

aaronc5362

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:09 PM »
Im not a real fan of pistol red dots. But i do like them as backups for ar15s.

I love my rmr's. I just hate having to undo the loctite and check zero afterwards. Altho i only did it once in the past 7 years or so, i should be doing it once a year. Battery still seems strong so whatever. Plus i havent shot since 2017 or early 2018, i forget.

I just wanted to add that in lol. I also have 507c and 508t. Both gen 1. Yes, i think the seal is better. But you need that special tool they give to replace the battery. Ive never tried yet, but i think those clamp style pliers may work. I think the gen 2 would be worth looking in to if anything.

Ive also had a vortex razor mrds. 3 moa. There stuff is legit and it was tool less battery compartment. Might sit too high on a pistol tho. But it works with ff3 mounts with their plate they gave. Iirc.

GlockNewb

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 09:52:00 PM »

Haven’t gotten my red dot in yet, but i’m Going to take his advice and the update to heart
"Fast is slow, slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 11:42:32 PM »

Haven’t gotten my red dot in yet, but i’m Going to take his advice and the update to heart
That’s the guy I was talking about. Looks like he lost some weight. He has some other good videos as well as one with Garand Thumb. Was looking to try to get to one of his courses, but then COVID happened.

blastoff747

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 01:59:46 AM »
  :shaka: for the great suggestions guys.  Sorry I just jacked this thread.

In my self-diagnosis (EXCUSES) I had cataract surgery on my dominant eye and my other eye is near-sighted so my brain takes much longer to process the info it's getting.

And (AGAIN EXCUSES) because range trips are far and few I bring a few different platforms at the same time.  For example, I could bring a glock, full size 1911 and a subcompact double-action 45.

:stopjack:

Drakiir84

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 07:05:20 AM »
If cost isn't an option, trijicon RMR all the way.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Influence

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
I use the Trijicon RM-06 and like it.  That being said, I’m also a fan of the Holosun offerings now and they have been testing well.  I’m going to be purchasing another mrds in the future and am actually considering Holosun over Trijicon even though price isn’t a factor.  There are a lot of guys I know that shoot extensively that have opted for Holosun over Trijicon and price is definitely not a factor for them.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 12:13:00 PM »
I use the Trijicon RM-06 and like it.  That being said, I’m also a fan of the Holosun offerings now and they have been testing well.  I’m going to be purchasing another mrds in the future and am actually considering Holosun over Trijicon even though price isn’t a factor.  There are a lot of guys I know that shoot extensively that have opted for Holosun over Trijicon and price is definitely not a factor for them.
I've noticed same/similar.  I really want to try a Holosun 507c on a Glock I have that is milled for RDS that doesn't have a dot.  I don't think it will fit a couple of holsters that I had to dremel to get the RMR to fit, but I have holsters that most likely can fit. 

I don't own any Holosun products, but have shot with their rifle red dots a lot and they seem quite good overall.  While price is always something I consider and usually don't mind spending more for quality, if Holosun is awesome an maybe 30% (or more) less, more $$$ for ammo.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 01:07:54 PM »
Just remember that you RDS 1 pistol, pretty much gotta do them all.  And then if you got OCD, gotta keep all same brand.  Cannot have 1 Trijicon and 1 Holosun and 1 SIG.  That would bother me every day.  So for 1 RDS, price may not be a factor, but now u got 5, it adds up.  Unless you got buku $ and even that no mattter.

aaronc5362

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »
I wish trijicon would make a top loading rmr. For its durability.

I would definitely pick that up in a heartbeat.

zhuzhits

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 08:54:40 AM »
The Trij RM06 I have is exceptionally solid. I accidentally smashed it onto a concrete slab once, with a hammer... prob about five/six half strikes before I realized what I was doing... :shake: I was pissed. But it's still zeroed, no issues. About 500 rounds since.

To me, the bottom line is buy once, cry once. If I can't afford "expensive" at the time, i'll save up. The only two cheap optics i've bought (cheap Vortex & PA Holosun) have both failed within a few years extrememly mild use. But my APs & Trijs are GTG years later.

Surfing - Shooter

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 07:52:46 PM »
Take a look at the SightMark I have it on my Glock 43 It's really good

changemyoil66

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 11:00:20 PM »
Take a look at the SightMark I have it on my Glock 43 It's really good
Pic? Down sight.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk