HAM Radio Frequencies in Hawaii (Read 9999 times)

DesertRangerTycho

HAM Radio Frequencies in Hawaii
« on: December 08, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
Howzit!?  Anyone got a list of radio frequencies to program into a radio? 

Looking for the following:
1. Simplex Frequencies
2. Weather Frequencies
3.Repeaters
4. FRS?GMRS
5. Scanner Freqs

Mahalo.  WH6FIT

Rocky

Re: HAM Radio Frequencies in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
Check AARL
https://www.arrl.org/

Another is the Cross Island Resilience Network (CICRN) pretty much coordinated  through Kaneohe/Kahaluu CERT (KKCERT)

KKCERT 8/11/20 minutes
2.   Comms Report
a.   Mark B – last week testing - last person in group, contact group leader for report/count – HAMS monthly Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES ) test is Wednesday, 2000 (8 pm) – Janice (a disaster!  FRS radio compatibility [problem w/Marie, too – Frosty, Mark B & John to work on programing all radios, older to newer]) – remember, if problem connecting, use phone, text, whatever.
b.   HAM test – not all on, no Simplex, but generally a good effort

If you want to get connected with this group, LMK
We're always looking for another "HAM" and I think you qualify.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:34:42 PM »
Check AARL

Another is the Cross Island Resilience Network (CICRN) pretty much coordinated  through Kaneohe/Kahaluu CERT (KKCERT)

KKCERT 8/11/20 minutes
2.   Comms Report
a.   Mark B – last week testing - last person in group, contact group leader for report/count – HAMS monthly Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES ) test is Wednesday, 2000 (8 pm) – Janice (a disaster!  FRS radio compatibility [problem w/Marie, too – Frosty, Mark B & John to work on programing all radios, older to newer]) – remember, if problem connecting, use phone, text, whatever.

We're always looking for another "HAM" and I think you qualify.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mahalo, Rocky,

I am a member of Manoa CERT. LOL.  Just looking for a list of frequencies people use to program their radios.

Cheers!

Rocky

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:49:09 PM »
Mahalo, Rocky,

I am a member of Manoa CERT. LOL.  Just looking for a list of frequencies people use to program their radios.

Cheers!
Cool.
Maybe if your CERT chapter is not part of the CICRN, it might prove to be a great addition to your arsenal.
 :shaka:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 08:29:20 PM »
That would be a great idea.  :shaka:

WH6FIT

Phazuka

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 10:33:58 PM »
I'm looking to complete the book, or YouTube video and take the HAM test.  Is the test online now?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6716J

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
stuff

use or not. up to you
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 04:09:59 PM »
stuff

use or not. up to you

Good stuff
I know a couple of those handles.
Ma-jello     :shaka:
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 01:17:35 PM »
stuff

use or not. up to you

Awesome!  Mahalo!

fishandshoot

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »
My programming cable for the baofeng should arrive soon in the mail and I’ll program it with CHIRP so I can listen in.

hvybarrels

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
I just ordered another Baofeng. Still have two years left on my licenses so probably time to get back into it so I do not have to study as hard!
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Phazuka

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 01:15:10 PM »
Check AARL

KKCERT 8/11/20 minutes
2.   Comms Report

I'm studying for the HAM test, I think we should set up an emergency comms plan.  I'll link to the thread.  Get everyone setup with the right frequencies.

Inspector

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 08:11:27 AM »
I'm studying for the HAM test, I think we should set up an emergency comms plan.  I'll link to the thread.  Get everyone setup with the right frequencies.

Even tho I am no longer on island I would be interested in keeping in touch after I get my license and radio. Is that possible?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

hvybarrels

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 01:55:38 PM »
Even tho I am no longer on island I would be interested in keeping in touch after I get my license and radio. Is that possible?

The short answer is yes

Using a cheap radio you can use your local echolink repeaters to dial in what are essentially long distance phone calls to Hawaii linked repeaters.

If there is a nationwide blackout like some rumors are spreading, obviously that stuff is not going to work and you will have to rely on large antenna arrays bouncing the longer bands off the magnetosphere during favorable conditions. That is a lot of equipment and expertise to dial it in.

In Hawaii we have a number of off-grid repeaters but I do not know about any Echolink redundancies that would continue to function during a national power failure, but unless someone went up there an physically pulled the plug our local radios would still be able to use line of sight repeaters as well as communicate simplex
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

hvybarrels

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 02:04:37 PM »
Here is link to some open repeaters around the State that anybody with a license can use.

https://www.qsl.net/ah6rh/am-radio/hawaii/vhf-uhf-repeaters.html

I got the programming cable a few days ago and will be dialing in my new Baofeng tonight, then test to see what kind of reception I get and report back here.

Inspector

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 02:08:26 PM »
The short answer is yes

Using a cheap radio you can use your local echolink repeaters to dial in what are essentially long distance phone calls to Hawaii linked repeaters.

If there is a nationwide blackout like some rumors are spreading, obviously that stuff is not going to work and you will have to rely on large antenna arrays bouncing the longer bands off the magnetosphere during favorable conditions. That is a lot of equipment and expertise to dial it in.

In Hawaii we have a number of off-grid repeaters but I do not know about any Echolink redundancies that would continue to function during a national power failure, but unless someone went up there an physically pulled the plug our local radios would still be able to use line of sight repeaters as well as communicate simplex
I’m not going to be able to install a large antenna here as we are in an HOA controlled area. After I pass my test and get in with the local club I’ll find out my options. Thanks!

hvybarrels

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
I’m not going to be able to install a large antenna here as we are in an HOA controlled area. After I pass my test and get in with the local club I’ll find out my options. Thanks!

Federal law protects HAM operators who want to build out so you can get away with a lot, although it will not win you many fans with your neighbors which is worth considering

Inspector

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 02:44:36 PM »
Federal law protects HAM operators who want to build out so you can get away with a lot, although it will not win you many fans with your neighbors which is worth considering
Thanks! I didn’t know that. I’m not intending to go that far with this. My first goal is to be able to communicate with my nephew in Phoenix first. We are talking about our plans in case the SHTF. Next would be to communicate with my different family units in Utah after that.

I fully intend to get involved with the local club and do some volunteer stuff with them. I want to immerse myself in this so I can learn everything I can.

hvybarrels

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 12:13:38 AM »
That is great you have a local club out there. It is the fastest way to get up to speed. I want to get involved with our local EARC again as well. It has been way too long and they are a great group of people.

It does not look like I will be able to try hitting the repeaters tonight. Have not used my Windows machine in quite a while and it is taking forever to install updates, including the necessary drivers. Fingers crossed I can get the 7:30 net tomorrow night.

hvybarrels

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 01:45:23 AM »
Stayed up too late so will make this quick

Keep in mind that I have very little experience and wandered away from the hobby a few years ago. This is my attempt to crawl back in the door, and hopefully it is useful to other beginners as well

I got the programming software Chirp and got my radio connected tonight

Next step is to get a list of Oahu repeaters like this one https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=15&tab=ham , convert the ones I want to a compatible CSV file, and load it back in to the Baofeng per these instructions

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CSV_HowTo

Part of me wants to load the outer islands repeaters as an excuse to visit more, but for now it is probably best to just load the Oahu stations and get some practice. When choosing from the list I am going to check the repeaterbook app and see which ones I am allowed to use and which ones are listen-only. There are apparently also some commonly used simplex channels for direct radio-to-radio communication but I will have to look into that more. Have to relearn the rules of etiquette first so that I do not do anything illegal, step on anyones toes, or both.