New Member? Introduce yourself here! (Read 638476 times)

oldfart

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!
« Reply #1740 on: January 22, 2023, 12:28:31 AM »
a dog's life in Waipahu is short...
=============
No worries for Jasper. He is about 60 years old already.
He's NOT a young black male living in the inner city.
What, Me Worry?

WJB

« Reply #1741 on: January 25, 2023, 03:16:27 PM »
Aloha im joseph, brand new to this forum.  Im local, hawaiian portugese arabic but spent 10 years of my childhood in rural north florida where i fell in love with guns and the shooting sports. Currently do NOT own a gun but have been considering the purchase of a pistol and a long gun for punching paper at the range and home defense.

AchieveUltra

« Reply #1742 on: January 28, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »
Aloha all,

Born and raised Oahu, joined army straight out of high school but then decided this wasn't the career for me. So ended up working odd jobs and retail until I settled for a federal civvy job on base.  Having trained with weapons in the military, I always felt like owning one eventually, and applied for a handgun/long gun permit this year. Just waiting on the process.

Looking forward to reading ya'lls views and perspectives, and with respect engage in civil discourse.

Mahalo for reading my post and best wishes to you. 

Rocky

« Reply #1743 on: January 28, 2023, 01:56:49 PM »
=============
No worries for Jasper. He is about 60 years old already.
He's NOT a young black male living in the inner city.

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

ren

« Reply #1744 on: January 28, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
Deeds Not Words

dogman

« Reply #1745 on: January 28, 2023, 06:02:29 PM »
Aloha WJB... Joseph,
Welcome to the forum. Once the Koko Head Shooting Complex reopens  ::) post you want to try out some guns. Check out HRA and HDF websites. Small fee for joining and bring ammo and try out members guns and learn safe shooting pricatices at the action bays.

dogman

« Reply #1746 on: January 28, 2023, 06:07:14 PM »
Aloha AchieveUltra,
Welcome to the forum. What pistol did you purchase? See my last post to WJB. I hope you can join us too.

AchieveUltra

« Reply #1747 on: January 29, 2023, 01:30:40 PM »
Aloha AchieveUltra,
Welcome to the forum. What pistol did you purchase? See my last post to WJB. I hope you can join us too.

Howzit dogman,

I ended up picking a Sig P365-XMACRO 9mm. I thought about getting a beefier pistol for home defense, but then thought if I really wanted something for home defense a shotgun would be better.

CaptStoveRogers

« Reply #1748 on: February 05, 2023, 07:51:18 PM »
Hi everyone! I’m Steve, I’m active duty Air Force and PCS-ing to Oahu in July. I’ve done a decent amount of homework about the laws in Hawaii, how to fly with guns, registering, and all of that. Now I just have to decide if bringing everything is worth it. I’d be traveling with a 16” AR, an 870, an M1 Garand, and one or two handguns.

Also, what’s the competition scene like on Oahu? I like to shoot USPSA and two gun every now and then but I know the main public range is closed. Do the Army and Marine run ranges do anything like that? Thanks everyone! Looking forward to meeting some fellow 2A minded friends on the island when I get there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangzilla

« Reply #1749 on: February 07, 2023, 04:17:44 PM »
Hi everyone! I’m Steve, I’m active duty Air Force and PCS-ing to Oahu in July. I’ve done a decent amount of homework about the laws in Hawaii, how to fly with guns, registering, and all of that. Now I just have to decide if bringing everything is worth it. I’d be traveling with a 16” AR, an 870, an M1 Garand, and one or two handguns.

Also, what’s the competition scene like on Oahu? I like to shoot USPSA and two gun every now and then but I know the main public range is closed. Do the Army and Marine run ranges do anything like that? Thanks everyone! Looking forward to meeting some fellow 2A minded friends on the island when I get there!

welcome  :shaka:

oldfart

« Reply #1750 on: February 16, 2023, 05:00:50 AM »
Aloha WJB... Joseph,
Welcome to the forum. Once the Koko Head Shooting Complex reopens  ::) post you want to try out some guns. Check out HRA and HDF websites. Small fee for joining and bring ammo and try out members guns and learn safe shooting practices at the action bays.
.?..........
Welcome again to all new members.
Dogman is my friend and a good guy.
When I have time, I help new handgun shooters with basic marksmanship coaching.
Learning to shoot a pistol can be frustrating.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #1751 on: February 16, 2023, 09:26:39 AM »

Right now because the only public range is closed, all competitions have halted.  It has been closed since September 2022 and the city claims it should reopen  this April.  I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Once you register anything, it is impossible to have it deleted/unregister. So keep this in mind. Also HI has a law where if you "permanently" leave the state, you must notify the police (Honolulu Police Department) with in like 5 days or something.

IMO, I would just bring what you plan on using for self defense or competitions.  Any novelty guns or guns you don't shoot often, I would leave else where if possible.

Fox800

« Reply #1752 on: March 02, 2023, 12:05:23 PM »
Hi all. I just moved to Oahu from Texas a few months ago and recently transferred my firearms here. I shoot semi auto pistols and rifles. I’m on the windward side and would love to find a decent shooting range
(or club). I’m also looking for a place to take state-approved handgun safety and LTC classes (have had an LTC in TX for years).

Any recs for ranges/clubs and instructors would be greatly appreciated.

changemyoil66

« Reply #1753 on: March 02, 2023, 12:15:14 PM »
Hi all. I just moved to Oahu from Texas a few months ago and recently transferred my firearms here. I shoot semi auto pistols and rifles. I’m on the windward side and would love to find a decent shooting range
(or club). I’m also looking for a place to take state-approved handgun safety and LTC classes (have had an LTC in TX for years).

Any recs for ranges/clubs and instructors would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome.

Our only public range is closed until maybe April if we're lucky.  It has been closed since September 2022.  There are a few indoor ranges, but I refuse to give them my money if all possible.

For the handgun safety class, check out:

Danger Close Tactical 808-690-7186

It's hard to do this class because the only public range has been closed.  DCT has a range that they use.  He also does the LTC (CCW) course.

Make sure to read our HRS134 very carefully.  There are a lot of laws here that TX doesn't have. Like it's illegal for you to go grab lunch with your gun in your car after leaving the range. Or stopping at star bucks to grab a coffee while on your way to the range.  Handgun mags cannot exceed 10rds. 

If you have any questions, post in the "Legal" section of this forum and others can help answer them.

Fox800

« Reply #1754 on: March 02, 2023, 05:40:24 PM »
Welcome.

Our only public range is closed until maybe April if we're lucky.  It has been closed since September 2022.  There are a few indoor ranges, but I refuse to give them my money if all possible.

For the handgun safety class, check out:

Danger Close Tactical 808-690-7186

It's hard to do this class because the only public range has been closed.  DCT has a range that they use.  He also does the LTC (CCW) course.

Make sure to read our HRS134 very carefully.  There are a lot of laws here that TX doesn't have. Like it's illegal for you to go grab lunch with your gun in your car after leaving the range. Or stopping at star bucks to grab a coffee while on your way to the range.  Handgun mags cannot exceed 10rds. 

If you have any questions, post in the "Legal" section of this forum and others can help answer them.

Thank you kindly. I reached out to DCT for the CCW training. Any other training operations you would recommend? Or private ranges?

I sadly left my full capacity magazines back in the mainland. Pains me to have to buy 10-round handgun magazines. At least the rifles are still happy.

Laser Tactical

« Reply #1755 on: April 29, 2023, 08:10:22 PM »
Just signed up as a new member to this page and recently started a business that uses laser enabled training pistols (both inert and recoil enabled) and different computer software that allows guests to practice firearm skills in a more interactive environment without the risk of "live fire" and the cost of ammo.  The software allows shooters to choose from programs that are more 'video game' based to simulated IPSC courses and training based applications.  It can appeal to new/non-shooters who may be concerned about going straight to a live fire experience or for those who are experienced but would like to interact with targets that move or want to incorporate more motion into their shooting practice.  We encourage groups to come in for a night of friendly competition or team building while introducing those that may have an interest in learning about firearms in a safe, fun environment.  We encourage people to come in for free demos, spread the word and feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions.
Laser Tactical LLC
98-025 Hekaha St. STE 223
Aiea, HI   96701
(808) 75-LASER (52737)

milsurp_and_mischief

« Reply #1756 on: October 26, 2023, 11:42:33 PM »
Hi hi!
My name is Maya and I just moved here about 3 years ago. I collect English and Japanese vintage firearms and reload my own .303, 7.7 Jap, .38 S&W, and 8mm Nambu. I love shooting and I try to attend to local gun events here in the state (look for me in the WWII Desert Rat Kit).

Below I have attached a photo of me shooting my favorite rifle, the Lee Enfield N04 MKII.

oldfart

« Reply #1757 on: October 27, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
Hi hi!
My name is Maya and I just moved here about 3 years ago. I collect English and Japanese vintage firearms and reload my own .303, 7.7 Jap, .38 S&W, and 8mm Nambu. I love shooting and I try to attend to local gun events here in the state (look for me in the WWII Desert Rat Kit).

Below I have attached a photo of me shooting my favorite rifle, the Lee Enfield N04 MKII.
Welcome to the forum.
We're you at the gun show a few weeks ago?
Did you join HHAA?

What, Me Worry?

Terry

« Reply #1758 on: December 17, 2023, 07:24:52 PM »
I just registered on this site. I was born and raised on Oahu and moved to Kona in 1981. I was shooting competitive 3 position rifle in the ILH and competed in the Kamehameha Invitational and Maui Invitational for many years. I used to go to Koko Head Range almost every Sunday in the early 1970s shooting .22 target rifles and a variety of handguns. My coach and I were intermittently called upon to run the rifle range which at that time was with a bullhorn.
On Hawaii Island, I was a "regular" at Shooters Choice (until it closed) and would help the Japanese tourists from time to time. I've been active with the Boy Scout Program for about 15-20 years and was an RSO (rifle, handgun, shotgun) for many years.
I am not a hunter. I prefer punching paper and clays.

dogman

« Reply #1759 on: December 17, 2023, 08:43:35 PM »
Aloha Terry and welcome to the forum. I hope you will share some of your stories from the past and how you feel about the present.