Re: First 1911 in 45
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
This helps bigtime. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

focus

jc2721

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2021, 05:48:20 PM »
A well-used Colt 1911A1 from the '50's -'60's can be found pretty cheap.  Probably just replace the barrel and sights and you're all good.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk
Lol, in your dreams.  Those years represented the best craftsmanship of the post war Era.  Slide flats absolutely flat with mirror polishing and the deep, rich bluing that Colt was famous for.  Generally the slide to frame fit was good and triggers crisp.  The Series 70s guns, while still nicely polished and blued, were rattle traps compared to guns of the 50s and 60s.

Unless the seller has absolutely no clue you won't find one for less than 4 figures.  Check sold prices on the auction sites, as there are damn few ever offered for sale locally (I've only been doing the gun shows for nearly 40 years now...)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jc2721

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2021, 05:51:48 PM »
Replace the barrel and sights ( and those old plastic grips) and you'll reduce the value of an old, highly collectible Colt.  Refinish it and you've cut the value in half.

dv808

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »

Lol, in your dreams.  Those years represented the best craftsmanship of the post war Era.  Slide flats absolutely flat with mirror polishing and the deep, rich bluing that Colt was famous for.  Generally the slide to frame fit was good and triggers crisp.  The Series 70s guns, while still nicely polished and blued, were rattle traps compared to guns of the 50s and 60s.

Unless the seller has absolutely no clue you won't find one for less than 4 figures.  Check sold prices on the auction sites, as there are damn few ever offered for sale locally (I've only been doing the gun shows for nearly 40 years now...)

If mine wasn't in at least good to average condition, I'd do those upgrades.  I got mine which was made in 1953 at a lgs on consignment.  This was just over 2 years ago and it was for much less than 4-figures.  It came with a couple barrels, non-original grips and a set of Herrett target grips.  I personally don't care for the series 70 and newer.  I guess you missed this one and I just got lucky.  I was in consignment for at least a year.  There was a military-issue ww2 one for sale at the same time but asking was well into 4-figures.  There were some inconsistencies like a possible refinish.

6716J

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2021, 06:26:27 PM »
I've got a 15 plus year old Taurus 1911 and it runs great. My only issue was at around the 5000 round mark was the recoil spring and replaced it with a 16# Wolff. Did the remainder of springs at the same time. The entire pack was about $20.

Magazines... some run better than others. (2) 7 rounders, (2) 8 round Taurus factory and (2) 10 round Wilsons. I have to break in the Wilson's I think as I have a failure to feed issue when full. Think it spring over load and wants to double feed. No issues when I get to 6 or 7 rounds left. But at the end of the day, 1911 mags are cheap to come by and they are all interchangeable

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

jc2721

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2021, 06:59:16 PM »

If mine wasn't in at least good to average condition, I'd do those upgrades.  I got mine which was made in 1953 at a lgs on consignment.  This was just over 2 years ago and it was for much less than 4-figures.  It came with a couple barrels, non-original grips and a set of Herrett target grips.  I personally don't care for the series 70 and newer.  I guess you missed this one and I just got lucky.  I was in consignment for at least a year.  There was a military-issue ww2 one for sale at the same time but asking was well into 4-figures.  There were some inconsistencies like a possible refinish.

Yes, that was a lucky find 2 years ago; I don't find (or buy) them all, lol.  Looking at the enlarged pic, there seems to be quite a lot of pits and scratches; price is usually commensurate with condition.

dv808

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2021, 07:10:51 PM »
Yes, that was a lucky find 2 years ago; I don't find (or buy) them all, lol.  Looking at the enlarged pic, there seems to be quite a lot of pits and scratches; price is usually commensurate with condition.

There are some scratches but no pitting.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:50:49 PM by dv808 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »
Thanks for all the input and recommendations.  I didn't realize there were so many different 1911 available.  I have to look at the various websites on a desktop.  Phone is too small and I want to open up different tabs to compare.  Then last night I was on YT and 2011 popped up.  I hope that doesn't add to the cluster of options.

drck1000

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2021, 01:01:09 PM »
Thanks for all the input and recommendations.  I didn't realize there were so many different 1911 available.  I have to look at the various websites on a desktop.  Phone is too small and I want to open up different tabs to compare.  Then last night I was on YT and 2011 popped up.  I hope that doesn't add to the cluster of options.
Models?  Or sizes?  Full size, commander, compact, etc? 

To me, those are driven by what you want to use it for.  I've only ever seriously considered full size.  No interest in smaller, at least for 1911. 

And yes, 2011s are attractive IF mag capacity weren't restricted here. 

stangzilla

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2021, 01:19:33 PM »
many recommend not going smaller than a commander size bc smaller than that can get malfunctions
friend of mine had a smaller than commander Kimber 1911
it would jam every so often and was so small cannot get a good grip on it so was a PITA to clear the jam bc was so small.  was 9mm too

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2021, 01:32:06 PM »

If you already decided on .45ACP, that eliminates a good number of models.

If you've set a budget, that also thins out the pool of options.

The last "category" to decide upon, as Drck100 said, is frame size.  That will dictate the max number of rounds you can have per mag.

Since this is a 1911 discussion, I'd avoid mixing in 2011, mini-1911, and other variants.  You already decided on 1911.  No sense in bringing every other .45ACP, 9mm, .22LR, .357Sig and 10mm that looks like a 1911 into the already huge list of choices.  Unless, of course, you hadn't already considered other variants.  If you go that route, you're going to make the choice that much more difficult.

Once you have the 3 1911 categories nailed down:  caliber, frame and price, there is one other thing to consider.  Do you have to have new, or is used/pre-owned an option?  In today's crazy market, you might not be able to find what you want new at all.  Retailers are sold out of many models and may take months or a year to fill an order placed today.  If you do find what you want, it may only be on Gun Broker and at more than MSRP. 

If you do happen to find a good deal on a used 1911, it may still be close to MSRP, simply due to limited supply and high demand.  Good deals will be few and far between unless you're lucky and move on it quickly.

I recommend you make a list of the 1911s you would actually buy at MSRP or below.  Then watch for that gun to be available at a store, online, at Gun Broker or in the classifieds.  Many people (me) are taking advantage of the high market prices to divest ourselves of guns we bought on impulse and can now get back at least close to what we have invested in them.  It's a seller's market for the most part.

So, make that list.  Then make another of brands and models you'd like to get if the price is right.  You might stumble on "the sale of the decade" and score a much nicer 1911 for just a bit more cash.

Making lists will keep you focused on a small, manageable pool of options, and it'll help you "pull the trigger" if you find a great price on one of your listed guns.

I always have one gun I'm looking to buy.  If I find it, and the price is better than I've seen it before, I usually buy it.  Until then, it keeps me from impulse purchases of other guns.  That, and the fact my safe is too full for more guns!   :rofl:
Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

stangzilla

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2021, 02:04:08 PM »
my humble 1911 collection:

Ruger SR1911. nice entry level

Springfield RO Operator.  a little better than entry level

Springfield RO Elite Target.  tighter slide to frame fitting, better accuracy, better trigger, slim grips

Springfield Long Beach Operator.  basically a Loaded Operator.  my favorite of my collection.  tightest slide to frame fitting, great trigger, Trijicon night sights, accurate, flared magwell.  everything you need, nothing you don't need.   ;)

i'm partial to Springfield 1911's
I'd like to get a Nighthawk Custom one day, after i get my Colt Anaconda.  gotta have priorities   :shaka:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:10:08 PM by stangzilla »

changemyoil66

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
Models?  Or sizes?  Full size, commander, compact, etc? 

To me, those are driven by what you want to use it for.  I've only ever seriously considered full size.  No interest in smaller, at least for 1911. 

And yes, 2011s are attractive IF mag capacity weren't restricted here.

So 1 thing I've narrowed it down to is a commander.  for CCW, I would just carry my VP9.

The 2011's as I look more into it, you're right, a waste in HI. I can just get wilson combat 10rd mags single stack.  Same reason why I was looking into the USP that comes with 10rd mags so I don't have to modify a 1911 to 10rds.  But at the time, I didn't realize how much cheaper 1911 mags were compared to HK.  So buying 10rd 1911 mags are no longer a concern.  So the USP is out.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:14:48 PM by changemyoil66 »

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
So 1 thing I've narrowed it down to is a commander.  for CCW, I would just carry my VP9.

The 2011's as I look more into it, you're right, a waste in HI. I can just get wilson combat 10rd mags single stack.  Same reason why I was looking into the USP that comes with 10rd mags so I don't have to modify a 1911 to 10rds.  But at the time, I didn't realize how much cheaper 1911 mags were compared to HK.  So buying 10rd 1911 mags are no longer a concern.  So the USP is out.
Your gun, your preference.  However, what drove you to narrow things down to commander size? 

For .45 ACP mags, you'll see some folks selling Wilson mags in the classifieds.  I see sales online here and there as well.  Brownells was one where I bought when on sale. 

Another aspect is assuming that you're used shooting double stack guns, reloads can be a bit more challenging with single stack mags.  Particularly without mag wells.  At least that's what I noticed for me.  Can you get better at it? Sure, but something that I noticed. 

stangzilla

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2021, 03:00:11 PM »
i have several Mecgar mags.  they also came with the Long Beach Operator 1911
never had a problem with the Mecgar mags.  they have a anti tilt plastic follower.  they work better than the standard GI mags. i dont like the GI mags some dont feed well and some are a pain to load bc the followers tilt.  i never used any of those Wilson combat ones or any other high end mags

WTF?Shane

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2021, 03:48:30 PM »

If it's a class gun, stick with the standard 5 inch barrel.

drck1000

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »
If it's a class gun, stick with the standard 5 inch barrel.
Words of wisdom.   :thumbsup:

oldfart

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
many recommend not going smaller than a commander size bc smaller than that can get malfunctions
friend of mine had a smaller than commander Kimber 1911
it would jam every so often and was so small cannot get a good grip on it so was a PITA to clear the jam bc was so small.  was 9mm too
This has been my experience.
It takes a little understanding and patience, but once you dial it in, they are so cool and fun to shoot.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2021, 08:50:05 PM »
Your gun, your preference.  However, what drove you to narrow things down to commander size? 

For .45 ACP mags, you'll see some folks selling Wilson mags in the classifieds.  I see sales online here and there as well.  Brownells was one where I bought when on sale. 

Another aspect is assuming that you're used shooting double stack guns, reloads can be a bit more challenging with single stack mags.  Particularly without mag wells.  At least that's what I noticed for me.  Can you get better at it? Sure, but something that I noticed.
Oops meant government (no focus). I want a full size gun. The vp9 and czp10c is more of my "commander" size.

oldfart

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2021, 08:53:58 PM »
Oops meant government (no focus). I want a full size gun. The vp9 and czp10c is more of my "commander" size.

Commanders have excellent balance and handling.
I had one but sold it because I was stoopid.
What, Me Worry?