6BR (Read 3457 times)

Ocean19

6BR
« on: August 22, 2021, 06:04:05 PM »
Anyone have experience or thoughts on 6br?

For target shooting and from what I have read on other forums the cartridge is very accurate and easy to tune. The cartridge uses small rifle magnum primers which maybe be easier to find than small rifle primers.

I know factory ammo would be almost impossible to get here on the islands much less on then mainland.

Anyone got any thoughts or opinions?

808Hunta

Re: 6BR
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 07:54:22 PM »
Awesome cartridge! Love it very much! Super accurate, easy to load, light recoil. I regret selling 2 of the 4 l had but will replace them as time and funds permit. They can be fussy to feed if going with a repeater. So ask your Smith if he has experience with the cartridge in a repeater if that's what you're after.

I'd say go for it I love mine

Ocean19

6BR
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 09:35:20 PM »
That’s exactly what the smith said…

He mentioned I can go with a fast twist 1:7 or 1-8 barrel for heavy bullets (90-115) or a slow twist 1:13 or 1:14 for the lighter 68-85 grain bullets.

He also mentioned going with a heavy varmint contour and it should recoil like a 22.

What twist did you end up going with?

What powder do you recommend?

808Hunta

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:19:53 PM »
Yes exactly! It depends what you want to shoot as far as bullets go. I had 2 with 1:7.5 twist, 1 with 1:12 twist and 1 with 1:14 twist.

I shot 105 bergers and hornady a-max out of the 1:7.5 twist using varget. The 1:14 twist l shoot 55 gr ballistic tips using Re10x powder. The 1:12 I never did much with and a friend wanted it so I gave it to him. Wish l spent some time with it as l love the cartridge.

Yes using heavy barrels will lessen recoil for sure.  Mine all had fairly heavy barrels and recoil was really light.

To be honest l got into these chamberings for my kids. To give them something very accurate and light recoiling. 22 ppc, 6 ppc, 22 Cheetah, 6br, 6x47 lapua, 6xc, 243 AI etc. Too funny they love that there's no recoil but hate how heavy it is when they gotta carry it lol

I've been wanting a Dasher for awhile but never got around to it. But the way things are going we see lol

Wish you the best with your build

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »
No experience with 6BR, but have interest in that cartridge, and others like the 6 Dasher, 6x47 Lapua, etc.  All for the same intended uses at my 6.5 CM (in the works), but still definitely interested in folks with experience in those 6 mm cartridges. 

The small rifle primer use is another aspect that had me going with 6.5 CM.  If the component market was better, I probably would have given other cartridges more consideration.  A friend of mine is interested in the 6/6.5 PRC.  All seem to have their fans.  I usually am one who wants to try for myself, but likely not in this case, or at least for a while down the road. 

Just did a quick search of 6 BR brass (6 BR Norma?) and found a lot of vendors have it in stock.  Darn.  Maybe I should have gone with that instead of 6.5 CM.  I'm kidding, mostly. . .  ;D

Do you at least have finalists for your new rifle?  Or still in the brain storming phase?

Anyways, good luck!  It's addicting. . . more than the black rifle disease. . .  :rofl:

808Hunta

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 09:37:17 AM »
No experience with 6BR, but have interest in that cartridge, and others like the 6 Dasher, 6x47 Lapua, etc.  All for the same intended uses at my 6.5 CM (in the works), but still definitely interested in folks with experience in those 6 mm cartridges. 

The small rifle primer use is another aspect that had me going with 6.5 CM.  If the component market was better, I probably would have given other cartridges more consideration.  A friend of mine is interested in the 6/6.5 PRC.  All seem to have their fans.  I usually am one who wants to try for myself, but likely not in this case, or at least for a while down the road. 

Just did a quick search of 6 BR brass (6 BR Norma?) and found a lot of vendors have it in stock.  Darn.  Maybe I should have gone with that instead of 6.5 CM.  I'm kidding, mostly. . .  ;D

Do you at least have finalists for your new rifle?  Or still in the brain storming phase?

Anyways, good luck!  It's addicting. . . more than the black rifle disease. . .  :rofl:

I'm the same way lol l like to try it out myself.  That's why I end up getting a bunch. It's great that Peterson is making 6x47 lapua brass. It's one less step that needs to get done in the loading process plus it's cheaper than buying 6.5x47 lapua brass and necking it down. I have a 6.5x47 so it's not an issue since I have a bunch of that brass. But being able to buy quality ready made brass is a definite plus. As well as save some money lol

I'm currently working on getting my daughter's 6XC and 243AI up to speed.

To be honest getting an impact, ruckus or like actions and doing prefits or a current action measured out and doing barrels much cheaper. Just need proper tools and go/ no go gauges and you're good to go. Just change out your barrels and you have a different cartridge.

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 09:54:48 AM »
I'm the same way lol l like to try it out myself.  That's why I end up getting a bunch. It's great that Peterson is making 6x47 lapua brass. It's one less step that needs to get done in the loading process plus it's cheaper than buying 6.5x47 lapua brass and necking it down. I have a 6.5x47 so it's not an issue since I have a bunch of that brass. But being able to buy quality ready made brass is a definite plus. As well as save some money lol

I'm currently working on getting my daughter's 6XC and 243AI up to speed.

To be honest getting an impact, ruckus or like actions and doing prefits or a current action measured out and doing barrels much cheaper. Just need proper tools and go/ no go gauges and you're good to go. Just change out your barrels and you have a different cartridge.
I went with Defiance Ruckus for both my .308 (complete rifle) and 6.5 CM barreled action.  Went with Bartlein barrels on both.  Wasn't intending on changing barrels for the different calibers, but good to have that option.  I had done some reading about the prefit barrel aspect.  That said, I will likely focus on getting my .308 refined and get that set first. 

The 6.5 CM started as a "well, if I have to go through all of the hoops to register the .308 gun, might as well maximize my time" line of thinking.  That started with just an action, that grew into a barreled action.  Haha.  I eventually wanted to get into the 6/6.5 mm range, but further down the road.  Now, it looks like my 6.5 CM barreled action will likely be ready ahead of the .308. 

Ocean19

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »

I was looking at the 6BR with a Bartlien heavy varmint 1-8 twist barrel.

The remear they use has a .272 NK and a .104 freebore for the heavier bullets to be loaded long, More for the long range or PRS guys. The smith mentioned that I should be able to shoot 75 gr up to 115 gr not problem.

Brass is abundant but not cheap, heavier grain bullets no where to be seen at all. The light weights bullets are everywhere even the custom BIB, Barts and Fowler…. They do make a heavier style bullet mostly VLD or flat base. The price does get high at about $.67 a bullet for the heavies and around .56 for the light weights.

Unfortunately the smith doesn’t stock 1:12, 1:13 or 1:14 twist rate barrels for the lighter bullets.

I’ll check if they can order those twist rates but I would guess a 6 month wait if not more.

He did mention for the utmost accuracy single feed the round vs mag feed. Chances of distorting the neck or concentricity of the round is great.

I’m still in the planning stages or specing out the cartridge.

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »

The remear they use has a .272 NK and a .104 freebore for the heavier bullets to be loaded long, More for the long range or PRS guys. The smith mentioned that I should be able to shoot 75 gr up to 115 gr not problem.

Brass is abundant but not cheap, heavier grain bullets no where to be seen at all. The light weights bullets are everywhere even the custom BIB, Barts and Fowler…. They do make a heavier style bullet mostly VLD or flat base. The price does get high at about $.67 a bullet for the heavies and around .56 for the light weights.

Unfortunately the smith doesn’t stock 1:12, 1:13 or 1:14 twist rate barrels for the lighter bullets.

I’ll check if they can order those twist rates but I would guess a 6 month wait if not more.

He did mention for the utmost accuracy single feed the round vs mag feed. Chances of distorting the neck or concentricity of the round is great.

I have found 6.5 CM SP brass, but not the LP.  They are about the same price range though, in the $0.90 to $1.20ish per round range (depending on vendor).  Haven't looked into the bullets as much, but the ones I am wanting to try first (Hornady 147 gr ELD match and a couple of Bergers) are also near impossible to find.  That's fine, I have time.  Maybe good in a way in that it will force me to gear up slowly and concentrate on .308 for now. 

You should get two barrels/guns.  One for the light and one for the heavy.   ;D

I know a couple of vendors that are on the Bartlein "regular order" cycle.  At least they reported that when I was doing my research.  Let me know if you want their contact info.  That's how I got the .308 and 6.5 barrels so quickly, and actions too.  Too bad they are so backlogged on shop work (10-15 weeks) as well as on the chassis. 

808Hunta

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 07:02:44 PM »
I went with Defiance Ruckus for both my .308 (complete rifle) and 6.5 CM barreled action.  Went with Bartlein barrels on both.  Wasn't intending on changing barrels for the different calibers, but good to have that option.  I had done some reading about the prefit barrel aspect.  That said, I will likely focus on getting my .308 refined and get that set first. 

The 6.5 CM started as a "well, if I have to go through all of the hoops to register the .308 gun, might as well maximize my time" line of thinking.  That started with just an action, that grew into a barreled action.  Haha.  I eventually wanted to get into the 6/6.5 mm range, but further down the road.  Now, it looks like my 6.5 CM barreled action will likely be ready ahead of the .308.

Can't go wrong with ruckus and bartleins  :shaka: yeah it's a great option to have. I like having that option because everything is the same. So it's all comfortable to shoot etc because everything is the same except the cartridge lol. Loved the option and hunting around the world it helped to have different barrels on some hunts in africa and Australia.

That's as good a reason as any brother lol  :shaka: stoked for you and your new builds bro. Right on congrats!

808Hunta

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »

That's a good combo!

Mine is also a .272 no turn neck. Yeah, due to the long heavy bullets the freebore is usually on the long side so you can't seat the bullets out longer most like the shoulder neck junction so they don't take up powder space.

Yeah the heavies right now are few and far between due to situation we in right now. There's a few vendors like drck1000 said who carry those barrels,  wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yes correct, single shot definitely helps in those regards for sure.  Hope you get what you're looking for bro! Exciting stuff!

Ocean19

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 09:56:30 PM »
That's a good combo!

Mine is also a .272 no turn neck. Yeah, due to the long heavy bullets the freebore is usually on the long side so you can't seat the bullets out longer most like the shoulder neck junction so they don't take up powder space.

Yeah the heavies right now are few and far between due to situation we in right now. There's a few vendors like drck1000 said who carry those barrels,  wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yes correct, single shot definitely helps in those regards for sure.  Hope you get what you're looking for bro! Exciting stuff!
Cool thanks for the info.

808Hunta

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »
Cool thanks for the info.

No problem brother anytime!  If you do end up going with the 1 in 8 twist I think l still have 105 gr amax n 115 gr bergers I'd let you try if those interest you.

Aloha

Ocean19

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 05:23:20 PM »
No problem brother anytime!  If you do end up going with the 1 in 8 twist I think l still have 105 gr amax n 115 gr bergers I'd let you try if those interest you.

Aloha
Cool thanks for the offer.

808Hunta

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 08:07:54 AM »
Sent you a pm

Ocean19

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 08:50:23 AM »

Ocean19

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2021, 12:51:34 PM »
So I was able to find a truck axle that the smith can chamber for 6br.

It should be in my hands by early November.

I’ll keep everyone posted….

drck1000

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 10:50:14 PM »
Can't go wrong with ruckus and bartleins  :shaka: yeah it's a great option to have. I like having that option because everything is the same. So it's all comfortable to shoot etc because everything is the same except the cartridge lol. Loved the option and hunting around the world it helped to have different barrels on some hunts in africa and Australia.

That's as good a reason as any brother lol  :shaka: stoked for you and your new builds bro. Right on congrats!
Thanks! I just wish I had gotten into this much earlier when components availability and pricing was much better.  I had different focus of my free time then and less gun funds then.  Like many things in life, timing.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Defiance and Bartlein setups do.  Good to have some experienced folks for guidance and folks in similar phases of the precision rifle learning curve. 

drck1000

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 10:52:23 PM »
So I was able to find a truck axle that the smith can chamber for 6br.

It should be in my hands by early November.

I’ll keep everyone posted….
I think my .308 setup is on about the same timeline.  I think the 6.5 CM setup might be done earlier, but I don’t have a chassis for that yet.  I had envisioned the chassis from my current .308 setup, so it might be a while.  May end up getting another chassis if I get impatient.   ;D

808Hunta

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 07:32:25 AM »
Thanks! I just wish I had gotten into this much earlier when components availability and pricing was much better.  I had different focus of my free time then and less gun funds then.  Like many things in life, timing.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Defiance and Bartlein setups do.  Good to have some experienced folks for guidance and folks in similar phases of the precision rifle learning curve.

Anytime! Agree, such a sad time it is right now for those of us that shoot, hunt and reload etc. Never thought I'd see the day primers, powder, brass was literally non existent! And when it does become in-stock its gone in less than 5 min!! Yup true story so much is timing lol But yeah I try to help when and where can bcuz I've been in that boat and I believe what goes around comes around.

I'm 99.9% sure you'll be super happy with your setups! I've had a few defiance/bartlein combos and they were all lasers. My daughters 6XC is on a defiance with a 7 twist M24 contour bartlein in a KMW Sentinel stock.. Going to have him do 3 more barrels for it so I can just change it up myself. Same here brother, always learning!

If you need anything just lmk

Aloha