.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 74394 times)

ren

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2021, 07:12:17 PM »
He has a MK18 clone? What barrel? I'm guessing he pinned and welded a faux supressor to get the 10ish barrel to 16? That guys has too much money  ;D ;D ;D

I recall it was a Compass Lake 22LR

He's lurking.... ;D O0
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2021, 06:32:21 PM »
I recall it was a Compass Lake 22LR

He's lurking.... ;D O0

I know.  ;D ;D ;D MK18 would be sick!!!

Bushido

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2021, 06:38:10 PM »
I’ve been looking at the Savages for a while. Heard about CZ’s but never shot them.  Are any of the above available regularly at LGSs?  I mean I can go and shop around, but just wondering.  No need to show more flaws.  I am sure I have plenty.   ;D

That said, the magnifying of things to .22 lr shooting is something that does interest me.  I mean I can certainly afford to venture into the deeper end for ,22 lr rifles, but trying to ease into it a bit more.

Honestly I haven't been to a LGS for awhile. I got one of my Savages from KGS bitd. The other was off this forum.  CZs can change barrels easily if you decide to upgrade and there are many stocks and chassis out there. I do not like the dovetail receivers though.  KRG makes a nice chassis for the Tikka. One of my Savages has a Green Mountain 10/22 barrel installed on it. IT took some finessing to get it just right but I like that one.

drck1000

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »
Honestly I haven't been to a LGS for awhile. I got one of my Savages from KGS bitd. The other was off this forum.  CZs can change barrels easily if you decide to upgrade and there are many stocks and chassis out there. I do not like the dovetail receivers though.  KRG makes a nice chassis for the Tikka. One of my Savages has a Green Mountain 10/22 barrel installed on it. IT took some finessing to get it just right but I like that one.
Savage caught my attention for the price and was readily available, as well as I knew a bunch of folks who owned and shot them.  I tried more than a few of them along the way and always enjoyed shooting them.

I have a couple of MPA chassis for my bolt guns, so would be a good choice if I went with a trainer setup.  I’ve seen some nice CZ builds with the MPA chassis.  That’s another G for the chassis, and would likely make me go with nicer glass, and so on.  And down the rabbit hole I go.  Haha

macsak

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 09:58:52 PM »
Savage caught my attention for the price and was readily available, as well as I knew a bunch of folks who owned and shot them.  I tried more than a few of them along the way and always enjoyed shooting them.

I have a couple of MPA chassis for my bolt guns, so would be a good choice if I went with a trainer setup.  I’ve seen some nice CZ builds with the MPA chassis.  That’s another G for the chassis, and would likely make me go with nicer glass, and so on.  And down the rabbit hole I go.  Haha

#savage

Bushido

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2021, 07:02:16 PM »

Yes the expectations really needs to be realistic. There is nothing cheap about "precision" rimfires. I guess what some may call precision can vary though. No matter what, Rimfires are hella fun to shoot.  I shoot somewhere near 10k a year.

drck1000

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2021, 11:51:30 AM »
Yes the expectations really needs to be realistic. There is nothing cheap about "precision" rimfires. I guess what some may call precision can vary though. No matter what, Rimfires are hella fun to shoot.  I shoot somewhere near 10k a year.
Agree.  My expectations for a .22 lr, at least right now is a cheap(ish) ammo plinker.  I do appreciate and sort of want the challenge of shooting for more precision with a .22 lr rifle, but not looking to chase uber precision.  I've been warned many times that the precision rimfires are not cheap.  The more I think about it, I may eventually get there, but just hoping for a "decent precision" rimfire. 

Yup, satisfactory precision is relative.  For me, it does change as I get more experience as well.  At least for my ventures in centerfire.  Actually, it waxes and wanes.  Where I think I'm going good and ready for "next level", then next time I'm like "damn, my shooting is crap".  It's also tied to my relative inexperience in reloading, but overall I do see it as a challenge to improve.  Which is also why I am also hesitant to start down the precision rimfire path, as once I start getting fully engaged, I am prone to going to the extreme.  Which I am trying to avoid.  Haha

The "hella fun to shoot" is true no matter for me.  I don't think I even have 10k ammo on hand.  haha

Little different discussion, but what are your thoughts on uber clear glass for rimfire?  I've seen some folks with some damn nice glass on their rimfire.  While not a glass snob, I consider myself more of one who appreciates nice glass and am prone to spending more on it.   ;D

Bushido

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2021, 06:27:23 PM »
Agree.  My expectations for a .22 lr, at least right now is a cheap(ish) ammo plinker.  I do appreciate and sort of want the challenge of shooting for more precision with a .22 lr rifle, but not looking to chase uber precision.  I've been warned many times that the precision rimfires are not cheap.  The more I think about it, I may eventually get there, but just hoping for a "decent precision" rimfire. 

Yup, satisfactory precision is relative.  For me, it does change as I get more experience as well.  At least for my ventures in centerfire.  Actually, it waxes and wanes.  Where I think I'm going good and ready for "next level", then next time I'm like "damn, my shooting is crap".  It's also tied to my relative inexperience in reloading, but overall I do see it as a challenge to improve.  Which is also why I am also hesitant to start down the precision rimfire path, as once I start getting fully engaged, I am prone to going to the extreme.  Which I am trying to avoid.  Haha

The "hella fun to shoot" is true no matter for me.  I don't think I even have 10k ammo on hand.  haha

Little different discussion, but what are your thoughts on uber clear glass for rimfire?  I've seen some folks with some damn nice glass on their rimfire.  While not a glass snob, I consider myself more of one who appreciates nice glass and am prone to spending more on it.   ;D

I have seen some spend more on rimfire glass that on their centerfire precision builds. In rimfires they are shooting much much much smaller targets. 22 Marksman Challenge was shooting toothpicks and match sticks inside of 50m. Sightron 10-50 was very popular for their comps whish isn't that expensive but you get the idea on the magnification. In NRL22X I see many using Nightforce ATACR 7-35s. Rimfires have a tremendous drop at distance. Having a scope with a lot of internal adjustment is very helpful. There was a ELR Rimfire match in which they were engaging targets to 500y. I don't know the dope at 500y but at 400y it's about 70 MOA. There are many LR comps across the mainland. Vuddoo Gun Works has a good video series on YouTube about LR builds. Beware, they ain't playing around.

Bushido

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »

Be forewarned, hide your CC before watching. It ain't cheap

Bushido

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2021, 06:31:43 PM »

If you want to try, I have a few mediorcre builds you can try. They aren't "Gucci" but they'll shoot better than the capabilities of many shooters.

Glasser

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 06:38:57 PM »

Be forewarned, hide your CC before watching. It ain't cheap

never tried one, but ....

There are mechanical ways to tune your barrel harmonics on the cheap. And you can dial it in for different ammo.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403

Bushido

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
never tried one, but ....

There are mechanical ways to tune your barrel harmonics on the cheap. And you can dial it in for different ammo.

http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403

Tuners are good for known distance shooting with the same lot of ammunition. I know several BR shooters that use them. For what I do, they would not work well. It really comes down to the discipline of shooting that you are doing. Far too many shooter look for the next best thing to improve their skills instead of fundamentals IMO.

drck1000

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2021, 07:16:15 PM »
I have seen some spend more on rimfire glass that on their centerfire precision builds. In rimfires they are shooting much much much smaller targets. 22 Marksman Challenge was shooting toothpicks and match sticks inside of 50m. Sightron 10-50 was very popular for their comps whish isn't that expensive but you get the idea on the magnification. In NRL22X I see many using Nightforce ATACR 7-35s. Rimfires have a tremendous drop at distance. Having a scope with a lot of internal adjustment is very helpful. There was a ELR Rimfire match in which they were engaging targets to 500y. I don't know the dope at 500y but at 400y it's about 70 MOA. There are many LR comps across the mainland. Vuddoo Gun Works has a good video series on YouTube about LR builds. Beware, they ain't playing around.
I have the 7-35 ATACR on my .308.  It’s my first high(er) end scope and it’s amazing.  Was easily spotting for a buddy when shooting for out to 1000 yards.  I’m likely going with a ZCO for the 6.5, but have seen some videos with folks having the same ZCO on their precision 22s.  The internal adjustment range and ability to zoom into a tiny target like a match stick head makes sense. 

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2021, 07:17:49 PM »
If you want to try, I have a few mediorcre builds you can try. They aren't "Gucci" but they'll shoot better than the capabilities of many shooters.
Thank you for the offer.  I’ll hopefully get back to reloading and shooting .308 again soon.  Maybe we can get a common range day.  Then again, handling and shooting Gucci guns sometimes ends up me having “the wants”.   :shake:

;D

ren

Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2021, 09:10:13 PM »
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1024152344?pid=771489

Oh the Anschutz in the XLR chassis is something I've had my eye on for a bit. I'm just waiting for Chapo to sell me his Anschutz/Kelby Trainer.  :geekdanc: :geekdanc: :geekdanc:

drck1000

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2021, 07:30:02 AM »
What would the advantage be of say going with a complete gun from Anschutz as opposed to a custom build?

I would think a complete gun from (what I assume is) a very reputable and well known company carries a lot of value/weight.  However, one the flip side, I would think if one is spending that kind of money, they would want to get the exact setup they want, including chassis, barrel, etc.  Or maybe "that kind of money" isn't scratching the surface yet for .22 lr precision rifles.   :shake:

Don't see myself going anywhere near that realm any time soon, but was wondering.  For now, I'm saving up, or more like trying to space out larger purchases just before ordering the finishing touches to my bolt gun.  The glass is the main one, but the components like scope mount, bipod and attachments, we well as a better range finder all add up. 

oldfart

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2021, 08:13:13 AM »

Just for fun....
Pinay with winchester 52A's
(pic shot just before WW2)
==============
Actually those might be Win 52B...not the A version.
The barrel band threw me off.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 12:35:39 PM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2021, 05:58:03 PM »

Just for fun....
Pinay with winchester 52A's
(pic shot just before WW2)

Actual TRAINING with those "collectable" Win 52s!  :shaka: It would be difficult to shoot such a fine collectable rifle such as a Winchester 52. So were the As just skinnier barrels than the Ds? Or was it the absence of a barrel band on the Ds?
Deeds Not Words

Bushido

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2021, 07:42:00 PM »
What would the advantage be of say going with a complete gun from Anschutz as opposed to a custom build?

I would think a complete gun from (what I assume is) a very reputable and well known company carries a lot of value/weight.  However, one the flip side, I would think if one is spending that kind of money, they would want to get the exact setup they want, including chassis, barrel, etc.  Or maybe "that kind of money" isn't scratching the surface yet for .22 lr precision rifles.   :shake:

Don't see myself going anywhere near that realm any time soon, but was wondering.  For now, I'm saving up, or more like trying to space out larger purchases just before ordering the finishing touches to my bolt gun.  The glass is the main one, but the components like scope mount, bipod and attachments, we well as a better range finder all add up.

Zermatt Arms RimX receiver is what you want. You can build exactly what you want that is if you're building a PRS style build. A BR rifle would be best  with a Stiller 2500X, Turbo, Falcon, etc.... action built by a reputable gunsmith like Calfee IMO. The experienced rimfire specific gunsmiths have barrels, actions, etc that they prefer. The turn around time will be long. Joe Cachon if going semi auto rimfire. The rabbit hole is deep. Like I said, there is nothing cheap about precision rimfire just like LR and ELR shooting.