.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 75013 times)

esk808

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #480 on: January 31, 2022, 02:16:02 PM »
Just received from JGS Precision, my 22 Nevius chamber reamer.
It's for my Anschutz 2013 with the clamp-style barrel.

22 Nevius is supposed to be a match chamber reamer specifically tailored to the Lapua Center-X or Midas+ ammo.

Now to send it off to Pennsylvania for machining.  Should take about a month or two.  Not going to hold my breath on this one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 04:01:24 PM by esk808 »

tommynauw

« Reply #481 on: January 31, 2022, 04:02:59 PM »
My 2 cents from much nearer the surface of the rabbit hole...

I'm having a lot of fun with my Savage Mark II TR & Vortex Diamondback Tactical. It shoots a bunch of ammo well enough for
 -- bolts at 100 meters and plates at 150 & 200 meters: Aguila SE SV, CCI SV, CCI MiniMags, CCI AR, Federal Gold Medal Target, S&B Club
 -- Silhouette Matches: Federal Champion and Blazer (both 40gr lead HV)

Being able to feed it such a wide variety of relatively cheap stuff is gold. If I had to feed it Lapua and Eley at 40+ cpr I wouldn't be shooting a fraction as much. I've put over 6,000 rounds through it since May 2021.

The next goal on my agenda is to get some 2.2" and 4.4" plates to hang at 200 meters. Currently the smallest thing I have to hang is a 6" circle.

That has been my 2 cents.

drck1000

« Reply #482 on: January 31, 2022, 04:18:43 PM »
My 2 cents from much nearer the surface of the rabbit hole...

I'm having a lot of fun with my Savage Mark II TR & Vortex Diamondback Tactical. It shoots a bunch of ammo well enough for
 -- bolts at 100 meters and plates at 150 & 200 meters: Aguila SE SV, CCI SV, CCI MiniMags, CCI AR, Federal Gold Medal Target, S&B Club
 -- Silhouette Matches: Federal Champion and Blazer (both 40gr lead HV)

Being able to feed it such a wide variety of relatively cheap stuff is gold. If I had to feed it Lapua and Eley at 40+ cpr I wouldn't be shooting a fraction as much. I've put over 6,000 rounds through it since May 2021.

The next goal on my agenda is to get some 2.2" and 4.4" plates to hang at 200 meters. Currently the smallest thing I have to hang is a 6" circle.

That has been my 2 cents.
I've shot thousands of rounds through that very Savage B/A.  I think it's a great rifle and paired up with a decent 3-9 is great for a lot of shooting fun.  I long wanted one for myself for plinking, teaching, general range fun.  Then I got into "more precision" with centerfire, so ended up with a CZ457. 

40 CPR?  Dayum, you must be shooting some primo stuff!   ;D

Inspector

« Reply #483 on: January 31, 2022, 04:27:35 PM »
I love 22’s. All 22’s. I own 5 rifles and 4 pistols and a conversion kit to turn my 9mm Glock into a 22. And there are at least 3 more I want to buy eventually. Including a suppressor. I shoot more 22 than any other caliber including 9mm. I have target rifles and pistols and I have plinkers as well. When I organize a range day for my family my 22’s are always the most popular of the guns I bring. I’m loving this thread where everyone is having their own fun and experiences with their firearms. While I probably won’t ever go down the same rabbit hole you guys are, I have already done so with my target pistols. I can’t have enough. 🥰
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

drck1000

« Reply #484 on: January 31, 2022, 04:29:17 PM »
I love 22’s. All 22’s. I own 5 rifles and 4 pistols and a conversion kit to turn my 9mm Glock into a 22. And there are at least 3 more I want to buy eventually. Including a suppressor. I shoot more 22 than any other caliber including 9mm. I have target rifles and pistols and I have plinkers as well. When I organize a range day for my family my 22’s are always the most popular of the guns I bring. I’m loving this thread where everyone is having their own fun and experiences with their firearms. While I probably won’t ever go down the same rabbit hole you guys are, I have already done so with my target pistols. I can’t have enough. 🥰
Bolt action. . . repeat after me. . . bolt action. . .  :rofl:

I still have to get the springs on the High Standard replaced and get that pistol shooting again  8)

tommynauw

« Reply #485 on: January 31, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »
40 CPR?  Dayum, you must be shooting some primo stuff!   ;D

OK 31 cpr before tax and shipping for Eley Match, per ammoseek. Still, yikes.  8)

Inspector

« Reply #486 on: January 31, 2022, 04:57:21 PM »

I still have to get the springs on the High Standard replaced and get that pistol shooting again  8)
I have an Anschutz 64 bolt action. My first rifle. I bought it in 1972.

I have 4 High Standards. One revolver and 3 target models. One is ex US Military property from 1943 or 44.

I suggest you contact Alan Aronstein (Ex CEO of High Standard Manufacturing in TX) who owns InterarmsTX.com. He answers the phone. He has hired all the ex High Standard smiths from back in the day who are still alive and he can tell you where to send your gun to have the springs replaced and have the gun checked out for a reasonable price. They have all the parts and experience where most smiths won’t even touch a High Standard any more.

drck1000

« Reply #487 on: January 31, 2022, 05:11:18 PM »
I have an Anschutz 64 bolt action. My first rifle. I bought it in 1972.

I have 4 High Standards. One revolver and 3 target models. One is ex US Military property from 1943 or 44.

I suggest you contact Alan Aronstein (Ex CEO of High Standard Manufacturing in TX) who owns InterarmsTX.com. He answers the phone. He has hired all the ex High Standard smiths from back in the day who are still alive and he can tell you where to send your gun to have the springs replaced and have the gun checked out for a reasonable price. They have all the parts and experience where most smiths won’t even touch a High Standard any more.
1972? 50 years ago.  :o

Will have to keep that in mind. Hopefully see some relief from this work craziness in a couple of weeks. Will hopefully be back on the range as well as getting my dad’s old HS looked at. In rest the resale value  :P

Inspector

« Reply #488 on: January 31, 2022, 05:22:15 PM »
1972? 50 years ago.  :o

Will have to keep that in mind. Hopefully see some relief from this work craziness in a couple of weeks. Will hopefully be back on the range as well as getting my dad’s old HS looked at. In rest the resale value  :P
I’m old. I found the receipt for it in my father’s papers after he died. I was 13 when I bought it.

You can sell me your HS and I’ll take very good care of it.  :love:  I’ll even send you a pic of it with its siblings sitting in my safe.  :rofl:

drck1000

« Reply #489 on: February 01, 2022, 08:43:02 AM »
I’m old. I found the receipt for it in my father’s papers after he died. I was 13 when I bought it.

You can sell me your HS and I’ll take very good care of it.  :love:  I’ll even send you a pic of it with its siblings sitting in my safe.  :rofl:
That's some history.  On some of my dad's guns, there are stuff like pricing info or labels and other markings on the box.  Found all of that super interesting.  There were a bunch of guns that I didn't even know my dad had.  Wished I knew and could have chatted with him about them. 

Oh, my HS isn't looking to go anywhere.  That said, it's probably being "neglected" through lack of attention.   :(

drck1000

« Reply #490 on: February 01, 2022, 08:52:08 AM »
Just received from JGS Precision, my 22 Nevius chamber reamer.
It's for my Anschutz 2013 with the clamp-style barrel.

22 Nevius is supposed to be a match chamber reamer specifically tailored to the Lapua Center-X or Midas+ ammo.

Now to send it off to Pennsylvania for machining.  Should take about a month or two.  Not going to hold my breath on this one.
Wow!  :o  Now that's getting next level!  Getting your own reamer(s).  I'm seeing a lot more folks investing in some heavy equipment like lathes for doing their own work like chambering, crowning, threading, etc. 

Too bad we didn't have more gunsmiths locally, or ability to drive to a neighboring state to do so. 

Inspector

« Reply #491 on: February 01, 2022, 08:59:02 AM »
That's some history.  On some of my dad's guns, there are stuff like pricing info or labels and other markings on the box.  Found all of that super interesting.  There were a bunch of guns that I didn't even know my dad had.  Wished I knew and could have chatted with him about them. 

Oh, my HS isn't looking to go anywhere.  That said, it's probably being "neglected" through lack of attention.   :(
I’ll tell you a funny story about my buying my Anshcutz. I was getting pretty good at shooting a rifle at the NRA Jr Rifle Club in Long Beach, CA. The club provided the rifles and the ammunition that we shot. I wanted to start competing so my dad made me an offer. He said the cost of the gun, the Redfield Olympic Peep Sights and the gunsmithing required to mount the sights would cost me about $200. The deal was if I saved up $100 he would match my $100. I immediately got a job working for a neighbor making $1.75/hour. It didn’t take me long to make $100. I handed it to my dad and within a few weeks I had the rifle with sights, case and everything. I competed with that rifle for many years and won a state match in my age group. I think I was 14 at the time.

Fast forward to 2008 when my dad died. My brother and I were going through all his papers and my brother found the receipt for the Anschutz, Redfield sights and the gunsmithing to mount the sights. Do you know what it cost back in 1972? It cost exactly $112. My dad was pake to the max. 😂

changemyoil66

« Reply #492 on: February 01, 2022, 11:20:43 AM »

Picking up Mrs. CMO's 22 KIDD semi auto this weekend.

drck1000

« Reply #493 on: February 01, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »
Picking up Mrs. CMO's 22 KIDD semi auto this weekend.
:geekdanc:

What rings did you end up with? 

So when is the CMO vs Mrs. CMO challenge?  Range day at silhouette side?

changemyoil66

« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2022, 11:52:41 AM »
:geekdanc:

What rings did you end up with? 

So when is the CMO vs Mrs. CMO challenge?  Range day at silhouette side?

Builder was able to mod the rifle so it didn't need higher rings. IDK what was done, over my pay grade. He did say that he test fired it to make sure it functions and the mod holds.  I asked if he zero'd and he said no. I should have rubbed leg, would have saved ammo trying to zero.

Once we get everything going, I'll post and we can have a range day challenge.

Does anyone know if keeping a barrel fouled for X months is fine?  I haven't shot my 22 in like 6 months and didn't clean it b4 putting in the safe.

Funny story, prior to COVID, had a friend offer a brick of SK Red box once her build is done. I don't wanna hit him up due to the cost of ammo now. But if he brings it up, we won't decline.  This guy only shoots SK red box and has a KIDD semi auto, which is what Mrs. CMO based her purchase on.  She liked his rifle and scope.  She is against buying used firearms, but would have considered his rifle if it were for sale.

drck1000

« Reply #495 on: February 01, 2022, 12:57:14 PM »
Builder was able to mod the rifle so it didn't need higher rings. IDK what was done, over my pay grade. He did say that he test fired it to make sure it functions and the mod holds.  I asked if he zero'd and he said no. I should have rubbed leg, would have saved ammo trying to zero.

Once we get everything going, I'll post and we can have a range day challenge.

Does anyone know if keeping a barrel fouled for X months is fine?  I haven't shot my 22 in like 6 months and didn't clean it b4 putting in the safe.

Funny story, prior to COVID, had a friend offer a brick of SK Red box once her build is done. I don't wanna hit him up due to the cost of ammo now. But if he brings it up, we won't decline.  This guy only shoots SK red box and has a KIDD semi auto, which is what Mrs. CMO based her purchase on.  She liked his rifle and scope.  She is against buying used firearms, but would have considered his rifle if it were for sale.
Give me $50 and I'll zero your rifle. 

From what I read/heard/watched, .22 lr are forgiving with regards to cleaning, or not cleaning. 

tommynauw

« Reply #496 on: February 01, 2022, 03:05:56 PM »
Give me $50 and I'll zero your rifle. 

I'll do it for $40  >:D
You supply the ammo of course.

drck1000

« Reply #497 on: February 01, 2022, 05:44:16 PM »
I'll do it for $40  >:D
You supply the ammo of course.
Bruh

I’ll do it for $35 and I’ll throw in 10 rounds of .22 lr.

;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #498 on: February 01, 2022, 06:27:15 PM »
I jokenly told a friend something like that foe his AK. He spent 50rds and still wasnt zerod. Wasnt even on paper. So thats $25 in ammo he wasted. I had to do it for him and took 10rds. First 4 were finding where the rds was hitting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #499 on: February 01, 2022, 06:32:59 PM »
I jokenly told a friend something like that foe his AK. He spent 50rds and still wasnt zerod. Wasnt even on paper. So thats $25 in ammo he wasted. I had to do it for him and took 10rds. First 4 were finding where the rds was hitting.

Yeah, using a laser sight tool or simply doing a mechanical zero will usually get you on paper.  Then it just takes a few rounds to get it on zero.

Another way is to mount a red dot if you can.  Look through the barrel and see if the dot is centered by placing the ring of the barrel on a point on the wall.  When the ring is centered on that point as well as the dot, it's pretty close.  Iron backup sights can them be adjusted to co-witness with the red dot.

Going through those steps before hitting the range saves lots of ammo and frustration. 

Side note:  If you aren't hitting paper after all that, use a larger target!     :geekdanc: :rofl:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall