.22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations (Read 73306 times)

drck1000

Re: .22 lr Bolt Action - Experiences and Recommendations
« Reply #620 on: March 25, 2022, 11:02:10 AM »
Was reading/watch more on the CZ457 with match chambers.  The non-extract of unfired round with Eley Match (one common round) with CZ 457 with match chambers, including Lilja, is a common occurrence.  I will have a cleaning rod in my range bag for future range sessions. 

Akubone1

« Reply #621 on: March 25, 2022, 04:48:58 PM »
Was reading/watch more on the CZ457 with match chambers.  The non-extract of unfired round with Eley Match (one common round) with CZ 457 with match chambers, including Lilja, is a common occurrence.  I will have a cleaning rod in my range bag for future range sessions.

I only had 3 failure to extract so far.  Two with Eley match and one with CCI SV.  No issues with Lapua, SK, or RWS so far.

esk808

« Reply #622 on: March 25, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »
Tomorrow looks a little windy, so I going take my Anschutz thumbhole 1416, built & tuned by Anschutz Custom Shop.
Will sight in a Leupold 4.5-14x scope on this.

Tomorrow doesn't look like a BR day.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 11:46:50 PM by esk808 »

tommynauw

« Reply #623 on: March 26, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »
The Silhouette range is perfect for windy days like this. Those bolts and small plates at 100 meters are a fun challenge. The big hanging plates are a great tool to check what's actually happening with your bullet too, if you're having trouble hitting the small stuff on the rails.

drck1000

« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2022, 10:10:02 PM »
Tomorrow looks a little windy, so I going take my Anschutz thumbhole 1416, built & tuned by Anschutz Custom Shop.
Will sight in a 4.5-14 scope on this.

Tomorrow doesn't look like a BR day.

Nice. How did it shoot?

drck1000

« Reply #625 on: March 27, 2022, 10:30:32 PM »
The Silhouette range is perfect for windy days like this. Those bolts and small plates at 100 meters are a fun challenge. The big hanging plates are a great tool to check what's actually happening with your bullet too, if you're having trouble hitting the small stuff on the rails.
I ended up shooting centerfire on Sat. It was pretty beeezy at times when I was there. I was chatting with a guy on the next bench who was shooting an air rifle (or some kind of gas rifle) about shooting in wind.  How its another aspect of shooting and is (or can be) fun. Part of the challenge and I cools certainly use work in reading and shooting with wind.

drck1000

« Reply #626 on: March 27, 2022, 10:35:14 PM »
Installed the Lilja barrel on the CZ457 and the EC tuner. Also swapped out the rings to a set that’s slightly taller and moved the scope a little further forward. Think I’ll try the extended butt pad plate for the Boyd stock. Or might eventually swap out to a KRG Bravo.

Looking forward to seeing that this setup can do.

esk808

« Reply #627 on: March 27, 2022, 11:02:01 PM »
Installed the Lilja barrel on the CZ457 and the EC tuner. Also swapped out the rings to a set that’s slightly taller and moved the scope a little further forward. Think I’ll try the extended butt pad plate for the Boyd stock. Or might eventually swap out to a KRG Bravo.

Looking forward to seeing that this setup can do.

Good looking rifle.  Now you got to tune it with the good ammo you got.

With that barrel, you should be shooting 0.200>0.300" groups after tuning with the good ammo.

drck1000

« Reply #628 on: March 28, 2022, 08:44:14 AM »
Good looking rifle.  Now you got to tune it with the good ammo you got.

With that barrel, you should be shooting 0.200>0.300" groups after tuning with the good ammo.
Yeah.  I have a good amount of Eley Match and RWS Rifle Match.  I had some decent results with the "cheaper" CCi ammo, so expecting more with the match ammo.  The Eley Match and RWS Rifle Match seem to be in stock quite often, so hopefully one of those stands out.  I have some Lapua Midas + to test as well and am down to try more of the Eley Tenex, but want to first find an ammo that the gun seems to like and stick with it. 

esk808

« Reply #629 on: March 28, 2022, 10:39:42 AM »
Drck1000,

The rifle looks good, barrel looks really heavy and short, not much on flex.
As you know, the tuner attempts to minimize the vertical string of shots.

Try this test on your barrel:

Shoot the rifle without the tuner on, at a target.  Shoot 3 rounds and see Point of Impact (POI).

Now, put on the tuner, and twist it out as far as you can on the numbering system.

Shoot at the same Point of Aim (POA) on that very same target. 

The POI of your second 3-round group should be at least 1/2" below the first group without the tuner.

If not, you need to put on additional weight to the tuner.

If the rifle shoots to the same POI with and without the tuner, that probably means the tuner will not affect grouping.

drck1000

« Reply #630 on: March 28, 2022, 10:57:26 AM »
Drck1000,

The rifle looks good, barrel looks really heavy and short, not much on flex.
As you know, the tuner attempts to minimize the vertical string of shots.

Try this test on your barrel:

Shoot the rifle without the tuner on, at a target.  Shoot 3 rounds and see Point of Impact (POI).

Now, put on the tuner, and twist it out as far as you can on the numbering system.

Shoot at the same Point of Aim (POA) on that very same target. 

The POI of your second 3-round group should be at least 1/2" below the first group without the tuner.

If not, you need to put on additional weight to the tuner.

If the rifle shoots to the same POI with and without the tuner, that probably means the tuner will not affect grouping.
Thanks.  The 16 3/4" (or something like that) is what was in stock.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but if I had to get a barrel done custom, I probably would've gone longer.  That said, this tuner has a lot of reviews and feedback from users on EC's site.  I'm going to follow his recommendations, which are the same as for centerfire, which is to shoot groups.  2-3 shots per tune number, going about 10+ spots (one revolution) and look for at least (2) good tuning settings. 

Ocean19

« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2022, 09:01:44 PM »
Any testing done so far with the EC tuner?

drck1000

« Reply #632 on: April 17, 2022, 01:58:49 PM »
Any testing done so far with the EC tuner?
Not yet. Been shooting other stuff. Hope to do some shooting/testing with it in the next 2-3 weeks.

drck1000

« Reply #633 on: April 25, 2022, 10:30:38 AM »
Ultimate Reloader did a video/review on the EC Tuner.  It was on an Anchutz 1710, but explains info that has been shared on Erik's forum, but many videos are behing a paywall. 

esk808

« Reply #634 on: April 29, 2022, 02:16:43 PM »
MarchX  10-60x 56 High Master, SFP, 34mm barrel

Ordered 3/2/22 and arrived 4/29/22, almost 2 months.
Got 15% off retail in month of March, for March scope promotion.....
Ordered the MTR-FT reticle.  Only to be used at 50-100yds at Kokohead, I don't need a cluttered reticle, but hashmarks are handy.

Will mount on Anschutz 2013 with Kelbly rings and Accuracy1st scope level.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 04:05:44 PM by esk808 »

drck1000

« Reply #635 on: May 02, 2022, 09:04:59 AM »
MarchX  10-60x 56 High Master, SFP, 34mm barrel

Ordered 3/2/22 and arrived 4/29/22, almost 2 months.
Got 15% off retail in month of March, for March scope promotion.....
Ordered the MTR-FT reticle.  Only to be used at 50-100yds at Kokohead, I don't need a cluttered reticle, but hashmarks are handy.

Will mount on Anschutz 2013 with Kelbly rings and Accuracy1st scope level.

Very nice!  I have heard really good things about March scopes, but I haven't shot or looked through one.

What power do you envision using most at say 50 and 100 yards?  I've been using a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 and it's been ok at 50 yards.  I think it's fine at 100 yards for shooting as well.  That scope came off a .308 Rem 700, so holes were quite a bit larger. 

Let me know what you think about the Accuracy1st level.  I think I have a Flatline Ops level in 34 mm that I'm not using, if you want to test it out.  It might be a 36 mm version though (i'll have to check). 

esk808

« Reply #636 on: May 02, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »

What power do you envision using most at say 50 and 100 yards?  I've been using a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 and it's been ok at 50 yards.  I think it's fine at 100 yards for shooting as well.  That scope came off a .308 Rem 700, so holes were quite a bit larger. 

Let me know what you think about the Accuracy1st level.  I think I have a Flatline Ops level in 34 mm that I'm not using, if you want to test it out.  It might be a 36 mm version though (i'll have to check).

Hi drck1000,

On my NF 15-55x, I always seem to settle down on 40x to shoot at 50 yds and 100 yds.  I use 55x to see the groupings at 100 yds.
I haven't taken the March scope to Kokohead yet - too windy to pack up all my  heavy gear and haul up the slope to the benches.
I suppose I probably going to go about 40x to start.....  Have never really used a 34mm scope tube before, so might be a surprise.

What scope you have for the bubble level?  I'll probably like to try your Flatline level later on. I'll try the Accuracy 1st level first, as I have that on all my BR rifle scopes.
Thanks  :shaka:

drck1000

« Reply #637 on: May 03, 2022, 12:59:22 PM »

Hi drck1000,

On my NF 15-55x, I always seem to settle down on 40x to shoot at 50 yds and 100 yds.  I use 55x to see the groupings at 100 yds.
I haven't taken the March scope to Kokohead yet - too windy to pack up all my  heavy gear and haul up the slope to the benches.
I suppose I probably going to go about 40x to start.....  Have never really used a 34mm scope tube before, so might be a surprise.

What scope you have for the bubble level?  I'll probably like to try your Flatline level later on. I'll try the Accuracy 1st level first, as I have that on all my BR rifle scopes.
Thanks  :shaka:
What scope for bubble level?  The Accuracy1st came off a NF ATACR, which is currently on my .308.  The level for that gun is currently a Spuhr level that mounts on the side of the Spuhr mount. I bought a Flatline Ops for that gun/scope combo as well, but ended up going with the Spuhr level.  So both the Accuracy1st and Flatline Ops are waiting for a new scope, maybe. haha

I have a Flatline Ops on the Vortex scope on my CZ 457 though and liking it so far. 

drck1000

« Reply #638 on: May 22, 2022, 06:48:53 PM »
Finally able to take the CZ457 with new Lilja barrel and EC Tuner. It was pretty windy, but wanted to at least get the gun zero’ed and check function with the shims.

drck1000

« Reply #639 on: May 22, 2022, 06:52:07 PM »
Tuner testing with Eley Match after about 20 rounds to zero, shoot some groups and season/foul the barrel. It was quite windy today. Maybe 5-15 on average with higher gusts or periods of higher winds. I tried to wait until the wind was relatively constant or at least now on the higher end of the wind range. I want to do more testing, but good to see the groups (generally) open up and then tighten as the tuner setting progressed.