Lake city .308 reloading...deprimed (Read 819 times)

Vbc

Lake city .308 reloading...deprimed
« on: September 25, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »
Rcbs dies...The lc  will not resize properly. It will not fully sit into the go/nogo gauge. Using a rem 700 the bolt is hard to close. The base/ rim on the casing is thicker than my other 308 casing. Any info out here?

Lihikai

Re: Lake city .308 reloading...deprimed
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »
First thing is to make sure the die is adjusted properly.  If it's setting the shoulder back enough but the body is still too large you may need a small base die.  Have you tried using a case gauge?
Sometimes the 7.62 ammo was fired in a machine gun so the brass is expanded more than usual due to the machine gun's oversized chamber.  Sometime you have to make several passing on the sizing die because the brass will 'spring back'.

OldMose

Re: Lake city .308 reloading...deprimed
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 12:18:56 PM »
+1 what Lihikai said.   I take off the decapper assembly when resizing so I can tap out a stuck case with a rod easily.   Stuck cases happen rarely but if you get one.....      Found that spray on case lube doesn't work as well as the grease kind; prefer Imperial size die wax.  Have a rcbs 308 small base X die set.  Haven't used it enough to form an opinion.