My Holster Experiences (Read 6624 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: My Holster Experiences
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2021, 01:36:39 PM »
I’ll give you $50 if you video it and put it up here.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He'd need assistance trying to hit such a teeny-weeny target.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2021, 02:05:49 PM »

That would pay for the holster and clips.

drck1000

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2021, 02:26:02 PM »
Some people may enjoy the feeling.  Just sayin.
Some people may not having any feeling there. . . jus sayin'

"I'd (pay for that) for a dollar!"

I'd actually pay a lot more if he committed to it on here. 

Inspector

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2021, 02:36:18 PM »
That would pay for the holster and clips.
Well, tell me what you want? I could do a GoFundMe page…
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

QUIETShooter

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2021, 09:02:40 AM »
I'd like to contribute to this thread if I may.  But first off will state: I have no experience with holsters, lol!

Because I recently retired, I decided to get a SD pistol just in case one day a miracle happens and Hawaii will have carry laws.  I already own revolvers but as SD weapons they are too large and bulky.  They are perfect for home defense though.

So I went out recently and bought a Sig Sauer P365.  I got the tac-pac which came with the pistol, three 12 round mags (altered to accept only ten) and a holster that can be configured IWB or OWB.  And I also ordered a 10 round mag on-line that will help hide the pistol print even further.  (F**kn 78 bucks with the shipping, dammmmnnnnn!!!! :rofl:)

The holster is not the greatest, according to the experts on YT.  Being inexperienced, I honestly wouldn't know.  But before I got the pistol I ordered a battle belt from Tactical Armament.  It looks and feels great but one problem:  the belt is too thick and wide and won't fit the belt loop of the holster.

So for the time being I'm using just a regular pants belt.  I tried the IWB configuration and I didn't like it.  Seems like I couldn't wear it for long periods and it printed.  I tried the OWB configuration and found the 3 o'clock position is most comfortable and I like it the most when I practice drawing from it.

In fact, I'm wearing it right now as I'm writing this.  I was practicing in the living room then decided to take a break to write this.  ;D  Only problem is it also prints, even with the 10 rd. magazine.  Very little and subtle but the print is there.  This is with a T-shirt.  If I had a jacket on it can't be seen.

But I love practicing with this holster and this little gun.  The gun feels great in my hands and even though I'm medium build I have large hands.  Very happy with this gun.  Now if I can only hit something with it, lol!

The best way I found so far to CC this little gun is to just stick it in my pocket.  I wear relaxed fitting jeans ( Levi's 559) and the gun disappears in the pocket.  You can tell there's something in the pocket but it can be construed as a wallet.  And with the shirt worn outside you can't tell.

I plan to buy a Vanguard type pocket holster which is essentially just a trigger guard type device to protect the trigger.  There is a clip that you can use for IWB carry and it will retain the holster while you draw the gun out.  Or you can take that clip off and attach the lanyard that comes with it, attached it to your belt and it will pull the holster off the gun when you draw it out of your pocket.

Pocket draw is a little slower according to reviews but for me if I want maximum concealment, I want to try this option.  I haven't practiced this route yet but I plan to after I order the product.

Please feel free to critique or offer tips, insults, or praise, lol!  Thanks for letting me share what little I know. :shaka:

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

changemyoil66

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »
I'd like to contribute to this thread if I may.  But first off will state: I have no experience with holsters, lol!

Because I recently retired, I decided to get a SD pistol just in case one day a miracle happens and Hawaii will have carry laws.  I already own revolvers but as SD weapons they are too large and bulky.  They are perfect for home defense though.

So I went out recently and bought a Sig Sauer P365.  I got the tac-pac which came with the pistol, three 12 round mags (altered to accept only ten) and a holster that can be configured IWB or OWB.  And I also ordered a 10 round mag on-line that will help hide the pistol print even further.  (F**kn 78 bucks with the shipping, dammmmnnnnn!!!! :rofl:)

The holster is not the greatest, according to the experts on YT.  Being inexperienced, I honestly wouldn't know.  But before I got the pistol I ordered a battle belt from Tactical Armament.  It looks and feels great but one problem:  the belt is too thick and wide and won't fit the belt loop of the holster.

So for the time being I'm using just a regular pants belt.  I tried the IWB configuration and I didn't like it.  Seems like I couldn't wear it for long periods and it printed.  I tried the OWB configuration and found the 3 o'clock position is most comfortable and I like it the most when I practice drawing from it.

In fact, I'm wearing it right now as I'm writing this.  I was practicing in the living room then decided to take a break to write this.  ;D  Only problem is it also prints, even with the 10 rd. magazine.  Very little and subtle but the print is there.  This is with a T-shirt.  If I had a jacket on it can't be seen.

But I love practicing with this holster and this little gun.  The gun feels great in my hands and even though I'm medium build I have large hands.  Very happy with this gun.  Now if I can only hit something with it, lol!

The best way I found so far to CC this little gun is to just stick it in my pocket.  I wear relaxed fitting jeans ( Levi's 559) and the gun disappears in the pocket.  You can tell there's something in the pocket but it can be construed as a wallet.  And with the shirt worn outside you can't tell.

I plan to buy a Vanguard type pocket holster which is essentially just a trigger guard type device to protect the trigger.  There is a clip that you can use for IWB carry and it will retain the holster while you draw the gun out.  Or you can take that clip off and attach the lanyard that comes with it, attached it to your belt and it will pull the holster off the gun when you draw it out of your pocket.

Pocket draw is a little slower according to reviews but for me if I want maximum concealment, I want to try this option.  I haven't practiced this route yet but I plan to after I order the product.

Please feel free to critique or offer tips, insults, or praise, lol!  Thanks for letting me share what little I know. :shaka:

B4 I first carried in Vegas, I wore just my holster IWB out when doing errands or getting lunch.  Just to get a partial feel of what it's like. When I did this, I noticed the sweat build up due to it being Kydex and the rubbing.

Inspector

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2021, 09:24:06 AM »

Hey QS thanks for contributing to this thread and making it better!  :shaka:

So I just bought a P365 XL for myself. I have not had it long enough to even fire it yet. Probably this Thursday. I love the way it feels in my hands as I have large hands as well. I also just added a Hogue sleeve to it. Gives me a better grip by giving it a palm swell and accentuating the finger groove. I actually tried to put it in a too small for it pocket holster and put it in my pocket and it seems like it may be doable. So I will be ordering a pocket holster for it soon to try it out. I have already ordered a hybrid kydex/leather IWB/OWB holster to try. I’ll do a write up once I get some experience with it.

Have you fired your pistol yet? I have fired my nephew’s pistol several times and besides the grip being a little short for me I like it.

Please come back and write up your experience with the pocket holster and let us know how it goes.

drck1000

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2021, 09:57:19 AM »
I use this for ccw now. Elastic band. Helps when  sitting, mag isnt standing straight up and in the way. Plus 1 less thing to be IWB.

For OWB range, no really matter to me. Bladetech, estaac,etc...plate carrier has 1 gcode scorpion pistol mag.

SNIP

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Is that mag at your 3 o'clock and bottom of the mag facing rearward? 

changemyoil66

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2021, 10:12:07 AM »
Is that mag at your 3 o'clock and bottom of the mag facing rearward?

Pic in inverted. It's on my 11 o'clock. Heads pointed down.

drck1000

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2021, 10:21:59 AM »
SNIP

1) The holster is not the greatest, according to the experts on YT.  Being inexperienced, I honestly wouldn't know.  But before I got the pistol I ordered a battle belt from Tactical Armament.  It looks and feels great but one problem:  the belt is too thick and wide and won't fit the belt loop of the holster.

2) So for the time being I'm using just a regular pants belt.  I tried the IWB configuration and I didn't like it.  Seems like I couldn't wear it for long periods and it printed.  I tried the OWB configuration and found the 3 o'clock position is most comfortable and I like it the most when I practice drawing from it.

3) Please feel free to critique or offer tips, insults, or praise, lol!  Thanks for letting me share what little I know. :shaka:
1) Does your holster have belt clips that can be adjusted or swapped out.  I (and prob others here) have spare belt clips for belt with and thicknesses. 

2) 3 o'clock is where I started carrying back when I had a CCW in another state.  I was a bid thinner then.  Now, carrying at 3 o'clock has some "natural retention".  Seriously though, I don't carry there often, but in the times that I do, the gun does dig into my side a little.  But after a couple of days, I don't notice it.  I rarely carry a 3 o'clock, even in the rare times that I do carry.

3) Tips?  Always.  Praise?  Maybe.  Insults?  Friendly banter. . .  ;D

drck1000

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2021, 10:23:46 AM »
Pic in inverted. It's on my 11 o'clock. Heads pointed down.
"We were inverted"

You would have to pull the mag with your left hand and to the rear? 

changemyoil66

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2021, 10:39:13 AM »
"We were inverted"

You would have to pull the mag with your left hand and to the rear?

Pull mag with left hand toward the rear.  Thumb is  on the top which would mimic the index finger on the front of the mag.  Like how 1 normally indexs a mag when OWB drawing from a mag holder.

I have a magnetic mag clip for the pocket, but I don't like to show clips in pockets.  Even for EDC knives. So I bought it and stopped using it. So add to the box of extra holsters.

Inspector

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 05:01:17 AM »
My New EDC Rig   

I finally have my new EDC rig together. It consists of a new Sig Sauer P365 XL, two 12 round flush fit magazines, one 15 round extended magazine, a Hogue Handall rubber sleeve, and a hybrid IWB/OWB holster from a company called Hidden hybrid Holsters.

For those of you not familiar with the Sig P365 it comes in a few different models. For this article I will only describe 3 of them. The P365 basic is a very small 9mm which comes with a 10 round magazine that is flush and a 12 round extended magazine which adds a place for your pinky. Then there is the P365 X model which has the same barrel and slide as the basic model but adds a longer grip which is the exact same length as the basic model with the extended 12 round magazine. And then there is the XL model which has the same grip as the X model and adds a longer slide and barrel to the basic and X models. I decided on the XL model specifically for a couple of reasons. The first is the the grip on the XL just feels a little better to me than the basic model with the extended 12 round mag. Next is the slightly longer barrel and slide gives me a better sight picture to pick up the front sight easier and quicker and it is a little softer shooting for me. Which allows me to get back on target a little quicker. The XL also comes with a straight trigger which is all the rage these days but to be honest, I am not a fan of the straight trigger. The reset is also very short on the XL plus the overall width is slightly wider. It took me a while to figure out where the extra width is on the XL. Turns out it is at the very bottom of the grip where the mag well is slightly flared which makes mag changes easier, quicker and less prone to errors.

The biggest advantages to this pistol as an EDC is that it is VERY thin. Especially compared to the Glock models. It is small and light. And as I stated in my earlier articles, weight is very tiring. Size is a huge advantage, but weight can be a real problem over several hours. Another big advantage is capacity. While 12 round flush fit mags are optimum, having an additional 15 round mag to keep in a pocket or mag holder is another huge advantage. If I carry an extra 2 mags (One 12 and one 15 round) I can carry up to 39 rounds or 42 if I carry two 15 round mags in addition to the 12 round mag in the pistol.

If I have included photos you will also notice I added a Hogue Handall to my pistol. It adds a palm swell and well as finger grooves which help me get a better grip. Plus, even though this pistol is softer shooting than the basic and X models, it is still snappy and can cause me a little pain due to my arthritis. The rubber sleeve actually comforts my hand and helps reduce felt recoil.

Now, for the jewel of this complete EDC rig. I bought a hybrid IWB/OWB holster from Hidden Hybrid Holsters. This company is known for their quality holsters and soft leather along with a suede backing which makes this holster VERY comfortable. There are a couple of other things which make this rig very comfortable. The kydex shell is very thin. Thinner than some of the holsters I have looked at and that I own. Combine this with a very thin pistol and you can hardly feel this holster while wearing it IWB. All I can say is WOW! What a difference between my much larger and heavier pistols and holster rigs. Also, this holster easily and quickly converts to OWB and the retention is adjustable. I have tried this holster so far at the 3 o’clock position and the 4 o’clock position. I feel it best at the 3 o’clock position. I will also try appendix carry as this rig should work well. But my fat stomach will probably not allow this to conceal all that well. While I have not had much time carrying this rig yet, I can tell just from my initial assessments that I made all the right choices for my EDC.

I now have my main EDC pistols and holsters set. The Sig will be my EDC IWB and my Ruger LCP Max is my deep concealed carry in my pocket pistol. Either as a backup or as my main EDC when wearing a lot of heavy cold weather coats/jackets. Carrying IWB or even OWB with heavy coats and jackets can slow your draw and interfere with your draw depending on your circumstances. If wearing an unbuttoned or unzipped coat or jacket, then IWB/OWB carry is optimal. So there may be times that a deep pocket carry pistol carried in the jacket pocket is optimal. This Sig P365 XL might even do as a pocket carry either in a pinch or possibly as an EDC but after a little experimenting I feel it is just a tad too large and heavy for me to be practical. Maybe buying a P365 basic model which is smaller and lighter would be better. I can also buy a basic model shell and move my FCU from my XL to the basic shell.

Here are some observations which are purely my opinions and are right/best for me. They may not be right for you. Hybrid holsters are the way to go for IWB carry. They offer a kydex shell to hold your pistol snug with adjustable retention. Plus they hold their shape when you draw your pistol allowing you to easily reholster. And have a leather backing for comfort. My particular holster has soft leather plus suede as a backing. It holds my pistol close and tight against my body and fat stomach which aids tremendously in keeping the pistol from printing. For what it is, it is far above and beyond what I was expecting and hoping it would be. As an OWB holster it is also comfortable but once you put the holster OWB then size and weight/heft become bigger factors. And the Sig being small and light really makes this combination a sweet complete rig for me. Kydex and plastic only holsters are only okay as IWB carry IMHO. They are hard and can have sharp edges which can be uncomfortable. They perform well as a OWB holster but only if how the holster attaches to your belt is well designed. I have one OWB plastic holster which holds my Glock very well but is sloppy when it comes to hanging off my belt. I have a kydex Serpa holster which holds my Glock very well and keeps the pistol nice and tight up against my body where it should be. With no slop. And then we have my favorite all leather holsters. I think all leather holsters are fine for IWB if they have reinforced mouths to keep them from collapsing when you draw your pistol. If they collapse when you draw then you will have problems reholstering. They are comfortable and can be customized with engraving, stitching and exotic materials and colors to make them your own and look spectacular. But I think leather makes OWB holsters the best. Combine comfort, good looks and customization and you have something that will last a lifetime nod garner lots of comments.

There are choke holster manufacturers out there. Due your research and buy only quality holsters from reputable sources. One note about Alien Gear. This is not a bash on them. They offer a solution that is a jack of all trades and a master of none. For some people this is a great solution. Take a look at them as they offer a complete holster system that does a lot. I looked at them and felt they were too thick/wide and overly complicated for what I wanted. I decided I wanted a IWB/OWB as there are times I want to carry and not have to conceal. Like when I work around my house or going out to the desert. No need conceal. So I wanted the option of carrying OWB as this is more comfortable than IWB any day of the week. I could have purchased 2 holsters, one an IWB and another OWB and probably have maybe even a little more comfort. But I felt that this was one area I could save a little money by buying a single  holster that fit all my needs.

There you have it. This is the extent of my EDC and holster experiences. I have others planned for the future but are far off into the future so this will be the last article for a while. My future projects include a true IWB/OWB holster for my Ruger LCP Max. I don’t intend to carry it like this a lot but I want the option in case something happens to my Sig. Also, I want to buy a S&W J Frame Revolver which is their small frame. Along with a good holster I want to make this a backup to the Sig. Either in the pocket or carry in an ankle holster. There are a lot of options to try.

If you do a lot of research and are willing to experiment as I am you will find you will have more holsters than you need. But you won’t really know what works best for you without trying. All I will suggest is that you shouldn’t cheap out. A good holster is going to be a bit pricey but is worth every penny because it will work well for you and last a lifetime. Cheap holsters will end up at the bottom of your holster box and will probably never see the light of day again. But as important as holster choice is your choice of pistols. So make your choices wisely.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »
Hey QS thanks for contributing to this thread and making it better!  :shaka:

So I just bought a P365 XL for myself. I have not had it long enough to even fire it yet. Probably this Thursday. I love the way it feels in my hands as I have large hands as well. I also just added a Hogue sleeve to it. Gives me a better grip by giving it a palm swell and accentuating the finger groove. I actually tried to put it in a too small for it pocket holster and put it in my pocket and it seems like it may be doable. So I will be ordering a pocket holster for it soon to try it out. I have already ordered a hybrid kydex/leather IWB/OWB holster to try. I’ll do a write up once I get some experience with it.

Have you fired your pistol yet? I have fired my nephew’s pistol several times and besides the grip being a little short for me I like it.

Please come back and write up your experience with the pocket holster and let us know how it goes.

Hi Inspector!

Sorry so late in replying.  For some reason I have been bypassing this thread.  Can’t believe I missed so much activity, lol!

I’m glad you like your new P365XL!  I’m sure this gun will work out well for you.

Yes I’ve shot my pistol recently.  For a little pistol I like the feel and the expected snappiness is tolerable for me.  I just need to put in the required time at the range to improve my marksmanship.

The gun is so fun to shoot I’m now thinking of getting another Sig, this time a full sized model, maybe a 320. 

Wishing you lots of great times with your new EDC gun.  Take care and be safe!

QUIETShooter

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
1) Does your holster have belt clips that can be adjusted or swapped out.  I (and prob others here) have spare belt clips for belt with and thicknesses. 

2) 3 o'clock is where I started carrying back when I had a CCW in another state.  I was a bid thinner then.  Now, carrying at 3 o'clock has some "natural retention".  Seriously though, I don't carry there often, but in the times that I do, the gun does dig into my side a little.  But after a couple of days, I don't notice it.  I rarely carry a 3 o'clock, even in the rare times that I do carry.

3) Tips?  Always.  Praise?  Maybe.  Insults?  Friendly banter. . .  ;D

The P365 TACPAC holster that Sig provided doesn't have provisions for swap out or adjustment.  Comments on YT say it's a cheapie holster but it's ok for me.  I don't know any better though. :rofl:

I also have "love handles" and it competes with the 3 o'clock position, lol!   I'm working on the love handles although at times it looks hopeless. ;D

Thanks on the offer of spare belt clips and loops.  You guys are great! :shaka:  But no need.  I think I'd like to dive in that rabbit hole of looking for the "right" holster.  First thing is to look for a box big enough to dump all of them in........ :D

aaronc5362

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2021, 11:16:33 AM »
The P365 TACPAC holster that Sig provided doesn't have provisions for swap out or adjustment.  Comments on YT say it's a cheapie holster but it's ok for me.  I don't know any better though. :rofl:

I also have "love handles" and it competes with the 3 o'clock position, lol!   I'm working on the love handles although at times it looks hopeless. ;D

Thanks on the offer of spare belt clips and loops.  You guys are great! :shaka:  But no need.  I think I'd like to dive in that rabbit hole of looking for the "right" holster.  First thing is to look for a box big enough to dump all of them in........ :D

Try looking into a belly band setup. There's cheap ones on Amazon. Never tried though. Unity tactical prob is best but its an expensive experiment.

Blue force gear and sticky holsters sell pocket holsters if your into that.

My 3rd suggestion is a SOB holster. It rides upside down sort of speak at your 6 oclock position. But you will need long type of tshirts.

4th suggestion is appendix carry like a trex sidecar. Or whatever its called.

Also are you gonna run a tlr7 sub or any weaponlight on it? Ya should debate on that first before spending money on a holster. I had like 3 or 4 holsters wasnt light bearing so I gave a few away to friends and still have a couple. Somewhere.

The only time I ever carried was on a hike in kailua. All my friends told me to bring my 357 mag. It wasnt a public trail. Luckily never ran into any boars. 2 of the other people in the group were/ still are LEOs but we all carried owb . although I do buy a holster for each pistol just incase whether it be at my friends AG land or shtf.

Whats also neat is that umarex/ elite force (airsoft companies) make 1:1 replicas of real firearms. For example, they bought the mold from glock to make gen 3 g19, gen 4 g17, and g45s. Not sure how much they paid but I'm sure glock gets royalties per airsoft pistol sold.  So I used my shtf g19 belt for airsoft a few times. After that, I rearranged a few things. So it kinda gave me a real life scenario if I was in a urban environment. I waa running, cutting corners, lying on the ground, switching from primary to pistol and doing fast reloads. It was pretty fun. And before any of you get mad or put me down, the g19 setup I used in airsoft, I used on the AG land with my real firearm. Minus the lying down and running.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 11:23:09 AM by aaronc5362 »

zippz

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2021, 11:19:38 AM »
I shot a 357 686 revolver in a steel challenge match this past weekend, first time drawing it from a Speed Beez kydex holster.   It felt very weird, like my draw was sluggish or lagging.  I realized it was the weight and front heaviness of the revolver that made it feel that way.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Inspector

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2021, 11:51:09 AM »
I shot a 357 686 revolver in a steel challenge match this past weekend, first time drawing it from a Speed Beez kydex holster.   It felt very weird, like my draw was sluggish or lagging.  I realized it was the weight and front heaviness of the revolver that made it feel that way.
Don’t feel bad. I have been practicing holster draw for a while now and I found it is very hard to draw fast and do it correctly at the same time. So I practice on the fundamentals first. Get it right most of the time and then I practice on speed. So for me I get the same feeling you do. Like I am drawing in slow motion even though I am trying to draw quickly.

changemyoil66

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2021, 02:45:05 PM »
When u carry a few times a year, size no matter.

Plus its cold so jackets hide everything.

Inspector

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2021, 02:47:47 PM »
When u carry a few times a year, size no matter.

Plus its cold so jackets hide everything.

Are you not worried about accidental discharge? 😂 😝