Self defense - Pregnant driver brandished and was killed (Read 1287 times)

ren

Self defense - Pregnant driver brandished and was killed
« on: November 24, 2021, 07:06:44 AM »
https://www.khon2.com/news/national/pregnant-hit-and-run-driver-fatally-shot-after-instigating-road-rage-incident-police-say/

A pregnant woman was shot and killed in a road rage incident that stemmed from a hit-and-run crash over the weekend on a Florida street, police said Monday.

The incident happened after a 40-year-old motorcyclist was struck by a Kia in Orange City on Saturday evening, according to local authorities.

Get Hawaii’s latest morning news delivered to your inbox, sign up for News 2 You

Orange City Police Department officials alleged that 35-year-old Sara Morales “intentionally hit” Andrew Derr, then fled.

Derr was uninjured and remained on the motorcycle. He and witnesses tried to get Morales to stop. She refused to pull over and they followed her in an effort to identify her, according to a police news release.

Morales drove to her home and called 911. She allegedly grabbed a gun from the house and went back outside to confront Derr and the witnesses, according to the release.
Mother of 3 left brain-damaged after apparent road rage fight

Derr had a handgun on him, and he drew the weapon and opened fire on Morales, hitting her multiple times, according to police, who said Derr had a valid Florida permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Morales was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Local television station WOFL reported that Morales worked for the Volusia County library system and was four to five months pregnant with her second child.

Derr remained on scene until officers arrived, and he is cooperating with investigators, police said.

A handgun belonging to Morales was found at the scene.
Deeds Not Words

changemyoil66

Re: Self defense - Pregnant driver brandished and was killed
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:29:52 AM »
This would be an interesting case to follow.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 09:55:16 AM »
sad >:(
What, Me Worry?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:18:14 AM »
sad >:(

Agree.  When I learned she was pregnant my heart broke.  Not that I wouldn't have cared if she wasn't pregnant.  Just sad all around.

Btw, the motorcycle guy said exactly what USCCA advised people to say in case of a SD incident.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

RSN172

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »
When you are the one in the wrong and decide to escalate an argument by bringing a firearm into it, expect the possibility you may get shot and possibly die.  Especially in shall issue or constitutional carry states. Sad situation yes.  Do I feel sorry for the woman that got shot? No.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 01:39:45 PM »
The mother wasn't acting rationally.  I know pregnancy can turn the nicest women into raging lunatics, so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in saying she was under the influence -- of hormones.

There's always more to the story than what the media offers.  Was she protecting herself and children at home (born and yet to be) from a biker who followed her home and is now on her property screaming for her to come out?  Was the man trespassing?  Threatening her verbally?

I'd be pissed, adrenaline racing, if someone tried to run me over intentionally, assuming that's what really happened.  Maybe the biker could have parked a block away, called 911, and waited out of sight for the Cops?  Maybe he didn't want to call the Cops (arrest warrant out for him?  history of violence and arrests?)...

Sounds like 2 people raging and both making bad judgments.  If she did ram him on purpose, he has a right to use his gun in that moment.  While following her home, he became the aggressor/pursuer.  He may have a hard time claiming self defense since he had the option of not confronting her at her home.

Yes, it'll be an interesting case.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

hvybarrels

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »
I've been run off the road by ragers. They know they can kill you but they just don't care. The worst one was this aging hippie looking lady in a Prius. When you are riding you never know who is going to flip out and start using their car as a weapon.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 10:44:50 PM »
The mother wasn't acting rationally.  I know pregnancy can turn the nicest women into raging lunatics, so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt in saying she was under the influence -- of hormones.

There's always more to the story than what the media offers.  Was she protecting herself and children at home (born and yet to be) from a biker who followed her home and is now on her property screaming for her to come out?  Was the man trespassing?  Threatening her verbally?

I'd be pissed, adrenaline racing, if someone tried to run me over intentionally, assuming that's what really happened.  Maybe the biker could have parked a block away, called 911, and waited out of sight for the Cops?  Maybe he didn't want to call the Cops (arrest warrant out for him?  history of violence and arrests?)...

Sounds like 2 people raging and both making bad judgments.  If she did ram him on purpose, he has a right to use his gun in that moment.  While following her home, he became the aggressor/pursuer.  He may have a hard time claiming self defense since he had the option of not confronting her at her home.

Yes, it'll be an interesting case.

Lots of unknowns in this case, unknowns that are key. The nature of how the motorcyclist and witnesses were following, for example. Were they aggressive or threatening? Also did the motorcyclist go on her property or wait a few houses away? Did the lady level the gun at the motorcyclist or did she just have it shouldered and the motorcyclist overreacted? If the lady was on her own property she would also have been allowed to have the firearm with her too.

I could see this case going either way depending on the facts.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 08:03:18 AM »
I'm also thinking:

Why did she intentionally ram him?  No matter what, that's a serious charge: intentionally hitting someone with a vehicle.  The vehicle being used in this case like a weapon.

This pandemic putting everyone on a short stick??

Like I mentioned in the other thread:  lots of regret going around.  But it's too late, fackahs......
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »
and again, like that child custody killing.
The biggest loser is the kid.
 >:(
What, Me Worry?