.22 lr Ammo Thread - What have you tried? What are your faves? (Read 12252 times)

jc2721

Re: .22 lr Ammo Thread - What have you tried? What are your faves?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2022, 02:24:11 PM »
What's the rest of the setup? Are you using a bipod for the muzzle end and a sandbag for the butt, or one of the fancier Caldwell or similar frames?
This rifle came with a Leupold 4x M8 scope mounted in CZ rings.  For bug-hole groups the 4x is difficult to use but with some luck it will get the job done.

I don't do much rifle shooting so I just use an old sock filled with rice and a scrounged leather sandbag for the rear.

The rifle did come with a Harris bipod but it really throws off the balance and look of the rifle (Schnabel fore end and Euro style cheek piece) so I took it off and don't use it.

That group was rounds #10-15 for the session, for the first 10 shots I got a couple of cloverleaf groups.  Everything came together for that pictured group--the hard part was waiting for the line to be called and not putting any more holes in that target, lol.

The other groups I shot were pretty much clover leaves with some horizontal stringing so I quit trying to shoot more groups like that one and packed it up for the day

I have nearly a full case of the SV on hand (plastic boxes, not paper packed) so I'm good on ammo for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:25:10 PM by jc2721 »

jc2721

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2022, 03:30:56 PM »
That plastic boxed CCI SV was purchased shortly before the great ammo shortage of 2020-21, so I believe it's pretty consistent stuff.  From what I've been reading, my guess is that the recent stuff is of a lesser quality.

drck1000

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2022, 08:56:05 PM »
Should have a new batch of ammo to test out this weekend.  ;D

esk808

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2022, 10:49:32 PM »
Should have a new batch of ammo to test out this weekend.  ;D

What you got?

Maybe we can trade a box or two?

elton

drck1000

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2022, 07:06:07 AM »
What you got?

Maybe we can trade a box or two?

elton
Eley Match and Target (I think), and RWS Rifle Match. 

Akubone1

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2022, 08:42:07 AM »
Eley Match and Target (I think), and RWS Rifle Match.

I got some Lapua Center X and RWS Rifle match coming.  I found more Eley Match at Good Shooting yesterday so hopefully it goes on their next pallet leaving in a month or so.  Still really haven’t seen SK around at decent prices.

drck1000

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2022, 09:07:45 AM »
I got some Lapua Center X and RWS Rifle match coming.  I found more Eley Match at Good Shooting yesterday so hopefully it goes on their next pallet leaving in a month or so.  Still really haven’t seen SK around at decent prices.
Nice.  Looks like many of us have lots of shooting to do.   :thumbsup:

I will have to check when the box comes in (scheduled for today) since it's been a while since I put in the order, but I recall my orders being heavy on Eley Match. 

Yeah, I've been looking for SK Rifle Match (red box) all over.  See some high velocity, pistol match, and some others, but haven't seen the Rifle Match.  Besides Center X, the SK Rifle Match is the highest on my list to try. 

I'm sure I'll enjoy what I have.  Just sucks getting into this at the near the bottom of the 22 ammo pendulum swing.

changemyoil66

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2022, 09:10:36 AM »
No forget to post pics of targets.  We might go range this weekend to zero Mrs. CMO's rifle.

drck1000

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2022, 09:33:39 AM »
No forget to post pics of targets.  We might go range this weekend to zero Mrs. CMO's rifle.
You too!  8)

When you going?  I might head to the range on Sun.  But toss up right now whether I'll shoot 22 or my 6.5. 

drck1000

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2022, 01:44:42 PM »
Thank you Jen/Kaleo Arms!!! This ought to keep me busy for a while, plus what I have from the last shipment.

macsak

« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »
16 more boxes of ammo than i own...

Thank you Jen/Kaleo Arms!!! This ought to keep me busy for a while, plus what I have from the last shipment.

esk808

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2022, 01:20:42 PM »
Today was a great day to test 22LR ammo.
No wind until about 11:30am or so.

Tested my Lilja barrel with RWS Rifle Match, RWS R50, Lapua Midas+, and Eley Tenex.
My Benchmark barrel will be delivered Monday, so will test same ammo.

Got the Ballistic X software and need to watch youtube in how to use it to measure groups.

Tomorrow is predicted to be no wind also.

Good shooting !
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 10:08:57 PM by esk808 »

Akubone1

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2022, 05:03:23 PM »
Today was a great day to test 22LR ammo.
No wind until about 11:30am or so.

Tested my Lilja barrel with RWS Rifle Match, RWS $50, Lapua Midas+, and Eley Tenex.
My Benchmark barrel will be delivered Monday, so will test same ammo.

Got the Ballistic X software and need to watch youtube in how to use it to measure groups.

Tomorrow is predicted to be no wind also.

Good shooting !

Esk808….how was the rifle match compared to the R50?  I’m planning on testing the rifle match tomorrow and a new lot of center X.  Got the Lilja headspace at .041.

esk808

« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2022, 09:51:32 PM »
Esk808….how was the rifle match compared to the R50?  I’m planning on testing the rifle match tomorrow and a new lot of center X.  Got the Lilja headspace at .041.

Hi Akubone,

You shooting your CZ with the new Lilja barrel?  Should shoot real good with good ammo since it has a match chamber.

The RWS Rifle Match, in classification and price, is a step below R50. 
However, at Kokohead, it is really hard to tell which is which...........
I think the RM has 3 or 4 flyers when shooting a box of 50 that you know wasn't your fault.
When shooting 5-shot groups, most of the groups are similar to shooting R50.

(Akubone, we can trade for 1-2 boxes of R50 to try in your rifle if you like. LMK)

CenterX, like RWS RM, is similar in classification and price and a step below Midas+.
I think in this comparison, CenterX would be a little more uniform than RWS RM, at least in my rifles.
(I need to test CenterX more to form a better opinion.)

(If you like try 1-2 boxes of Midas+ LMK)

Eley Match (black box) is similar in classification and price and a step below Tenex.
I'm going to get a few boxes of Eley Match to see how it shoots.
(I don't have much experience with this EM.)

(If you like try Tenex LMK.)

This testing of ammo, every rifle is different and probably everything I said above may not be true in your rifle.......... ???

PS:  LMK about how the 0.041" headspace shoots. 
Curious on how to see your barrel shoots a tight headspace.
Spoke to Steve Boelter, and he's sending me a 0.041" and 0.040" gauge...
He says some match chamber/barrels shoot better at these specs......... (he told me to get 0.044, 0.043, and 0.042, but not 0.041 or 0.040)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 11:05:32 PM by esk808 »

Akubone1

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2022, 01:06:46 PM »
.041 shot well.  I didn’t shoot much at 50yds.  With very little wind I wanted to stretch it out to 100.  The RWS rifle match grouped well but I had 3-4 flyers with the box.  Eley Match was also consistent.  It’s hard to tell if .041 shot better than .042 since I didn’t shoot both headspace under the same condition/day. 

powder monkey

« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »
Question
When testing  ammo is it manufacturer vs manufacturer  or manufacturer lot to lot?

Akubone1

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »
Question
When testing  ammo is it manufacturer vs manufacturer  or manufacturer lot to lot?

For me…it’s mainly manufacturer vs manufacturer.  However I did find that one particular lot of Eley Match shot better than the other two.  I emailed my barrel manufacturer and Lilja said my chamber was cut for Eley.  It seems like Eley match does shoot a little better than my Lapua Center X in my rifle.

drck1000

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2022, 07:43:31 PM »
Question
Depends. Right now, I’m testing lot to lot, but that’s because I was able to get different lots of a given brand/line. Tough to find some types I want to try let alone multiple lots.

I did some testing between brands and will likely do so again in the future. That said, I will be getting a tuner soon for my rifle, which is supposed to be allow finding a setting to optimize a given lot of ammo.

esk808

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2022, 03:36:22 PM »
Kaleoarms shipment is due in HNL on June 6th.

I've been waiting for my bricks.

Akubone1

« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Kaleoarms shipment is due in HNL on June 6th.

I've been waiting for my bricks.

Awesome…I should have 6 bricks or so…more test ammo.  Eley & SK