Rifles in Freezing Cold (Read 1248 times)

DocMercy

Rifles in Freezing Cold
« on: January 04, 2022, 11:16:17 AM »

This is the best advertisement for purchasing a HK416 rifle. Of course this may not be the weapon of choice for hunting in Ely Nevada, but at least you'll be carrying the Mercedes-Benz of rifles.

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Rifles in Freezing Cold
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 02:44:55 PM »
My Mercedes C240 transmission died the day before the warranty expired.  Only car I've ever owned that needed a full transmission replacement.

Just saying ....    :geekdanc:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Bota-CS1

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 07:03:17 PM »

This is the best advertisement for purchasing a HK416 rifle. Of course this may not be the weapon of choice for hunting in Ely Nevada, but at least you'll be carrying the Mercedes-Benz of rifles.

All the rifles or their magazines failed at some point but the AKs and the Aug appeared to have the least amount of issues.  GT talks about this in a voice over at the 28:50 mark.  I was surprised how the FNC out performed the URGI, KAC, HK, and SCAR. 
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

DocMercy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 08:02:02 AM »
My Mercedes C240 transmission died the day before the warranty expired.  Only car I've ever owned that needed a full transmission replacement.

Well, we had a Chrysler that needed the full turbo engine replaced. It took 3 months to complete. I had the faith (and stupidity) to buy an American auto at a time when entire industry (except for Ford) was going belly-up. So much for loyalty. No matter who makes the car, expect something big to break down. We even had a Honda Civic where the manifold needed to be replaced due to a leak. That involved a head gasket replacement. Always buy an extended warranty no matter how silly it may be at the time of purchase.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 09:31:28 AM »
Good thing the frozen issue isn't a concern here.  Unless one plans on storing their rifle in a meat locker.  Always get that 1 guy who will.

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 10:20:13 AM »
Good thing the frozen issue isn't a concern here.  Unless one plans on storing their rifle in a meat locker.  Always get that 1 guy who will.

I attended two classes where temps were in 0-10ish and showing. Gotta tell you those stories one day. Good times  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 11:21:03 AM »

I attended two classes where temps were in 0-10ish and showing. Gotta tell you those stories one day. Good times  ;D

Did the hand ever stick to any metal parts?  Or does the paint coat reduce it?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 12:55:17 PM »

I wasn't there, but my superior intellect tells me, if it's 0-10 degrees, everyone wore gloves.

Just a guess, of course.   :geekdanc:

You can develop frost bite within 15 minutes in -15 temps.  Wind and water have a big impact on that.  It can be 10 degrees and feel like -7 in 10MPH wind.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 01:43:00 PM »
Wore gloves. . .  8)

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 01:44:26 PM »
I wasn't there, but my superior intellect tells me, if it's 0-10 degrees, everyone wore gloves.

You can develop frost bite within 15 minutes in -15 temps.  Wind and water have a big impact on that.  It can be 10 degrees and feel like -7 in 10MPH wind.
Rotated multiple sets of gloves.  It was snowing pretty much all the first training day.  Luckily I had goretex pants and jacket.  Was decently warm as long as you didn't get wet.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 06:12:45 PM »

Hawaii boi here whos never seen snow. Swoooshh on me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 07:52:54 PM »
Hawaii boi here whos never seen snow. Swoooshh on me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
You don’t have to wear gloves, you know, if you’re tough lidat, bruh.  O0