Budget spotting scope (Read 2930 times)

tommynauw

Re: Budget spotting scope
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 01:38:10 PM »
A quick fix for sticky rubber is dusting it with talcum powder.

Permanent fix, though it looks like hell: take that nasty rubber coating off with rubbing alcohol. My old Bushnell was unusable, now it's fugly and fully functional.

Neesh

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 04:08:45 PM »
That's good to know...I hate when the rubber gets like that after awhile...anyone have thse issues with the athalon?

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 08:05:22 PM »
Price range?

I was thinking $150 but seems like the step up from cheap jumps from $50 all the way to like $400

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »
I was thinking $150 but seems like the step up from cheap jumps from $50 all the way to like $400
Lots in the $400 opens things way up, including the Vortex and Konus lines. I have a Celestron, which I’m happy with, but it’s a big a heavy spotting scope that I got in a really good deal. If was looking now, I’d probably go for a higher end with less mag range.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2022, 08:36:13 PM »
Lots in the $400 opens things way up, including the Vortex and Konus lines. I have a Celestron, which I’m happy with, but it’s a big a heavy spotting scope that I got in a really good deal. If was looking now, I’d probably go for a higher end with less mag range.

Honestly just shooting at 100 yards, it really isn't enough to justify that extra cost. I know how much better the image would be but I can still see the .223 holes with it just well enough to accomplish the task. Maybe as my eyes deteriorate I will have to get a new one.