Help: ARCA or Pic rail on wood forend (Read 599 times)

tommynauw

Help: ARCA or Pic rail on wood forend
« on: January 26, 2022, 12:44:17 PM »
Need some advice. I’d like to keep using my Caldwell bipod (for swivel studs) for my Savage Mark II TR, but attaching/detaching is a giant PITA.

Thoughts on mounting a Swiss ARCA rail to the wood forend? An 8” rail sticking out 2” from the end of the stock would be awesome. Does anyone have experience with this?

A Picatinny rail is another option, better than the studs but not as handy as the ARCA.

Recommendations for the rail and bipod adapter?

Thanks in advance.

Akubone1

Re: Help: ARCA or Pic rail on wood forend
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »
Sorry no experience with wood stocks but I put an Area 419 arca rail on my CZ 457 chassis.  Paired it with an atlas bipod.  I like the ease and adjustable positions.  I saw videos of Area 419 mounting to manners stocks.  There’s some YouTube videos that might give you ideas.

drck1000

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 06:53:04 AM »
Similar feedback to Akubone, check out Pursuit of Accuracy.  He does a lot with CZs and uses a lot of Area 419 stuff on his guns.  I think he did a video of mounting Arca rail on bottom of the Varmint.  Not sure if he or another YTer did one for the AT-One (same rifle I have), which is a Boyd wood stock.  I have the Arca style rail on all of my centerfire bolt actions, but am sticking with the Harris on the CZ for now.  I believe my stock needs drilling, which I don't want to do, at least not right now. 

I really like the flexibility of the Arca/RAT rail.  Great stuff and lots of companies have adopted the dimensions for compatibility. 

ETA: If/when you get the Arca rail, check with me.  I might have a spare MPA RAT attachment.

aaronc5362

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 06:50:37 AM »
Dunno if this helps but I installed a bt rail on my old tikka with synthetic stock.

Since it was a syn. Stock I had to put epoxy. I bedded about 5 inches long on the stock and bout half an inch high. It had cross sections so I shaved those so the epoxy can go all over instead of just sections. It was solid. Just used a dremel and sanding attachment to make it smooth. And spray painted over it.

I had a atlas bipod and I think a adm qd mount.

I recommend an adm mount instead of larue cause its easier to adjust, tool less, just incase pic rails are different in tolerances.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 10:09:27 PM »

If/when I am ready for Arca rail on my CZ457.  I want to shoot my rifle a bit first before doing permanent mods, both for the money as well as maybe I’ll want something different eventually.

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 08:21:11 PM »
OP - I have a MPA RAT base that I don’t need. If you ended up with an Arca rail, you can have it.