Talon Grips for Glock? Anyone used? (Read 688 times)

passivekinetic

Talon Grips for Glock? Anyone used?
« on: January 27, 2022, 02:40:51 PM »
Thinking of getting these for my 17 and 19.

There is an option for medium or large backstrap. Any opinions why there is a difference?

Mine are Gen4.

What will happen to the detachable backs and any beaver tail options? If I stick these grips onto my Glocks I guess it means I have to have all the attachments there permanently, and the grip rubber will just wrap all around it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Talon Grips for Glock? Anyone used?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 02:52:35 PM »
I highly recommend these for Glocks.  I use the rubber version, as I like a softer feel than the original "skateboard tape" feel.

If you go to the Talon Grip website, or search Amazon, you'll notice that 4th and 5th Gen tapes offer options with or without backstraps.

Yes, the tape goes on the outside of the backstrap if you're using one.  I think once you've chosen a backstrap that fits, you'll want to keep that one installed anyway.  No sense in swapping backstraps for multiple shooters.  Just decide on one that is a close enough and fits all.

If you haven't tried using any backstraps, I recommend a range trip.  I found that a larger grip helps trigger finger placement.  Without it, I was pushing way left.  With it, I stopped doing that.

Hope that helps.

Truth, when not sought after, rarely comes to light.  -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

I need some new conspiracy theories. All my old ones turned out to be true.

Hamburger Helper only works if the hamburger really wants to be helped.

passivekinetic

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks

- Anonymous

Inspector

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 03:06:39 AM »
I have a Gen 2 Glock 17. It does not have the different back straps nor does it have finger grooves. I have tried different types of things on it. Including the Talon grips. I got the aggressive very rough texture. And I didn’t like it. I prefer the soft rubber type texture. Easier on my skin and I grip the gun much better. I kept the soft rubber texture on the gun for about 6 months. What was happening was I would have to readjust my hands after every shot or almost every shot. In other words my grip was slipping after every shot or almost every shot. It was much better with the soft rubber texture of the Talons but still occurred for me. I think it is due to the shape of the grip not being a good fit for my large hands.

With that said I used to have the Hogue rubber sleeve on my 17. And after trying the two different types of talon grips, I went back to the Hogue Handall. It gives the grip a palm swell and it just fits my hand better. It also gives the grip finger grooves (the Gen 2 does not have any) which I also prefer. What I like about this rubber sleeve also is it provides extra cushion up at the beaver tail area. Something the Talon grips don’t do or don’t do well. I am getting old and my hands and fingers are getting arthritic and the soft rubber really lets me keep a solid grip between shots and helps me get back on target quickly.

Here is what happened to me. I went onto Amazon to order a new Hogue Handall for my Gen 2 Glock 17. And they sent me one for the Gen 3 & 4. When I told them what they had done they sent me one for my Gen 2 and told me to keep the wrong one. I have no use for it. If you want it, just PM me here and I will gladly send it to you. It is brand new and never opened.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 03:20:31 AM by Inspector »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »
Also factor in what you will be using the G for. I have the skateboard tape Talons on my VP9. No problem while at the range or OWB. But when CCWing, then it would rub the skin bad. Imagine sandpaper rubbing on your belly or side if you carry at 4 o'clock.   If you're getting the rubber one, then there would be no issue. I wear a Hanes tank top under my shirts anyways when CCWing, so this gets rid of the rubbing issue.

M450N91

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 09:37:51 AM »
Got a 17gen4 also.. tried the hogue which gives u a much larger grip..so I tried a cheaper version of the talon called tractiongrips (about $11)  and feels great, been about a year no issues yet

Tractiongrips Grip Overlay Decal for GEN4 Glock 17, 22, 31, 34, 35, 37 GEN4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TSVPR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_FKAQN9TZFD3N52Q7K703?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

passivekinetic

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 08:03:03 AM »
Inspector thank you very much for your generosity. However I have the Hogue for my Beretta 92 already and I think I prefer a slimmer grip. Perhaps you can give it to someone else here who might suit it better.

The Beretta 92 is also a good gun. Heck, to be frankly, almost all modern guns are pretty decent.

However, at the end of the day, there is still something about the Glock 17 that I really like. Can’t explain why. The Beretta feels more rugged, solid, reliable. But if I had to choose I would keep the Glock 17. (And not even keep the Glock 19, which I know is super popular with people, not that I don’t like it. If I couldn’t carry the full size 17 then it would be the 19).

Anyway I digress haha.

- Anonymous

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 08:20:50 AM »
Inspector thank you very much for your generosity. However I have the Hogue for my Beretta 92 already and I think I prefer a slimmer grip. Perhaps you can give it to someone else here who might suit it better.

The Beretta 92 is also a good gun. Heck, to be frankly, almost all modern guns are pretty decent.

However, at the end of the day, there is still something about the Glock 17 that I really like. Can’t explain why. The Beretta feels more rugged, solid, reliable. But if I had to choose I would keep the Glock 17. (And not even keep the Glock 19, which I know is super popular with people, not that I don’t like it. If I couldn’t carry the full size 17 then it would be the 19).

Anyway I digress haha.

You can’t go wrong with any of the guns you mentioned. I bought my Glock 17 back in 1992 and has over 15k rounds through it. All I have done is to replace the springs and wearable parts once and the return spring twice. I still carry it and rely on it on occasion.

passivekinetic

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »
That’s good to know. I am actually curious how many rounds the barrels can take before even a hint of wear and tear. Glocks or Berettas. Assuming no +P ammo used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Anonymous

Inspector

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 02:08:17 AM »
That’s good to know. I am actually curious how many rounds the barrels can take before even a hint of wear and tear. Glocks or Berettas. Assuming no +P ammo used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A good majority of the ammo that went through the barrel of my Glock was the Chinese made Norinco ammo that was imported during the 90’s. From feel that ammo felt pretty hot to me. It was not rated +P or +P+. However, near the end when the US Government stopped the imports from China, the Chinese were importing their ammo and printing on the box that the ammo was boxer primed and reloadable. I saved most of those cases and several years later when I started to reload the cases I found out the quality control of the cases was VERY poor. I estimate that at least 50% of those cases were not able to be reloaded. Mostly the primer pockets were way out of spec and the primers would fall out as easily the dropped in.  :rofl:  Also, the quality of the brass was suspect as well. To this day I still have several hundred cases that I am still reloading from the Chinese ammo. The point here is they stated the cases were reloadable and mostly it was not true. So did they load their ammo to +P specs and not state it? Who knows.

With all that said, last I looked down the barrel of my Glock, the rifling seemed pretty shallow. But I have to say it still shoots straight and appears to be as accurate as it always has been. And I have been shooting powder coated lead through it lately and it works great!